• Reply 21 of 197
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member

Too slow bro.
  • Reply 22 of 197
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Hopefully they'll release a plasma.

I have my doubts they will, but I too prefer plasma TV's. Jobs has a plasma.
  • Reply 23 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

I think this may become essential. In the future the living room could very well be the main place for consumer internet consumption - espesially if other TV manufacturers implement good or, at least, usable internet access into their devices. Apple doesn't want to be left out in the cold if this happens.

I would be interested to know what they call it - since both iTV and AppleTV are taken.

I would rather see Apple take an iPod Touch/iPhone take on the Apple TV first. The Apple TV is a cool device, but if it had a full blown app store, I think it would COULD do amazing things. Perhaps Apple is planning on releasing the two together?

The thing is, they need to leverage the creativity of programmers, amateurs and professional, to revolutionize that industry. So far, I haven't seen anything jaw dropping since Tivo, and I don't use Tivo.
  • Reply 24 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

Facetime on the 50" during thanksgiving dinner would be awesome...that would be a great way to get out of visiting annoying relatives. You could just facetime with them the whole day.

Their TV won't have a camera.
  • Reply 25 of 197
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    I don't buy it, and I never will. Even if Apple does release a TV, I would consider it a really stupid move.

Face it, a TV is nowadays nothing more than a dumb screen. It's the things you connect to your TV that make it an awesome device. Your cable settop box, your BluRay player, your XBox 360. That's what makes people like sitting in front of the TV. The TV itself is a dumb commodity product.

So in stead of making a TV, I think Apple should make a device that connects to your TV. Something that allows you to watch all your cool iTunes content on that big screen in your living room. It would be cool if this little box would also allow AirPlay streaming and.. oh wait... I guess they already sell one of these little boxes.

So yeah, all Apple needs to do is make the Apple TV as attractive as possible by adding cool new revolutionary features to it. It's only 99 bucks and people can connect it either a $250 WallMart piece of junk, or a $4000 high end Sony TV.

There is absolutely ZERO reason why Apple would actually make a TV set. I challenge you to give me one.
  • Reply 26 of 197
    peleaspeleas Posts: 18member
    If Apple puts out a HDTV, it would have to be more than just a device to watch video content. Otherwise it just wouldn't make sense for them to get into this business.

With Apple putting in an order with Isilon Systems for 12 petabytes of storage as it readies its North Carolina data center and plans upgrades in its Newark California data center, they're obviously planning something big. There have been various stories that the company will be offering movie streaming in the near future, which seems possible, but why go through all that work JUST to stream movies?

Remember Steve Jobs mantra: The PC is dead. To a certain extent, that's true. Smartphones and tablets have come a long way. But TVs are going to be around forever. So why not build an Internet-enabled HDTV which can also serve all the functions of your computer through a cloud-based Mobile Me account?

To me, this is a STRONG possibility. And if it ever happens, Apple would be the company to make it work. Hell, as far as I'm concerned, they have all the puzzle pieces in place. They just have to put them together.
  • Reply 27 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samwell View Post

Where's Ireland?

Ireland here. Over and out.
  • Reply 28 of 197
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Since Apple released the much rumoured tablet (been rumours for years and years about a newton replacement) the Apple Television set has taken its place. These analyst pricks need rumours like this to a) justify their existence and b) Market manipulation.

The important points to look for are the use of:

'Apple could'

'possibly '

Then when Apple don't release anything they dont look like complete morons. The analysts today are no more accurate than a gypsy looking into a crystal ball and any idiot who pays them deserve to lose all of their money.
  • Reply 29 of 197
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I very much doubt there's any truth in this...

... but on the slight off-chance that there is; I really hope that Apple don't build Apple TV into their TV set. Running on iOS I'd expect Apple TV to be updated with some regularity - maybe not once a year, but maybe every other. Most people don't replace TVs nearly that regularly, but they might want to upgrade a $99 box for updated hardware features and performance, especially if Apple ever release an SDK and third-party application environment for it.

Building Apple TV into the set would either mean stagnation of Apple TV as a bit of hardware (see how often Apple updates their Cinema Displays) or would force people to upgrade a $1,500+ TV set every couple of years to get $99 worth of new features. Neither would be good.

What would be nice is a little cubby hole on the back of the TV that I can slip the Apple TV into, with a short HDMI (or better yet, Thunderbolt, for monster throughput and integration) cable that isn't at all visible from the front. That'd be lovely.
  • Reply 30 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

Plasma is king. I have a Pioneer KURO and the quality blows away any LCD by a mile, plus it's not 3D and never will be, which is a wonderful thing.

That said, I really can't see Apple making an HDTV of any type. It's just too price driven for them. Pioneer tried the high end route and look how that ended.

I too own a Kuro and agree plasma is king, but have my doubts Apple will produce plasmas, much to my dismay. You say Pioneer tried the high-end, but Pioneer is not Apple and Apple have some things Pioneer never have had - software genius and content. Not to mention a track record of reinvention.
  • Reply 31 of 197
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Apple will never make a television set.

They could make iBoard though.
  • Reply 32 of 197
    THIS IS STUPID.

Apple is ALREADY making TV Sets : this is called a HDMI TV + Apple TV.

It comes in all size, color, shape and technology. It's only $99 more than any existing TV set sold and any HDMI TV can be upgraded for the same $99.

And if the hardware is upgraded in 2 years, it will cost only $99 to upgrade to the new version.

And your $1000 display panel won't be "obsolete" in 2 years.
  • Reply 33 of 197
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    With high-end 50" HDTV's, including embedded webapps and internet connectivity, advertised for $1200-$1400 nearly every weekend, $2000 for an Apple-branded TV would be a really tough sell IMHO. Having a hi-profile fail would reflect on Apple's other upcoming products more poorly than than some comparatively insignificant addition to the bottom line would benefit them. Personally I don't see a great upside to it.
  • Reply 34 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unicron View Post

Is the TV market in need of fixing?

5 remotes (even a universal remote), clunky interfaces, way to much crap wires and boxes, poor design in general, complex setup and UI, complicated remotes, no content built-in. Etc. Etc. The TV business is in as bad shape as phones were before Apple came along. Not to mention, Apple as well as anyone knows if they don't do this someone else will come along and do it instead if them. And eat their lunch in the process.
  • Reply 35 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peleas View Post

If Apple puts out a HDTV, it would have to be more than just a device to watch video content. Otherwise it just wouldn't make sense for them to get into this business.

With Apple putting in an order with Isilon Systems for 12 petabytes of storage as it readies its North Carolina data center and plans upgrades in its Newark California data center, they're obviously planning something big. There have been various stories that the company will be offering movie streaming in the near future, which seems possible, but why go through all that work JUST to stream movies?

Remember Steve Jobs mantra: The PC is dead. To a certain extent, that's true. Smartphones and tablets have come a long way. But TVs are going to be around forever. So why not build an Internet-enabled HDTV which can also serve all the functions of your computer through a cloud-based Mobile Me account?

To me, this is a STRONG possibility. And if it ever happens, Apple would be the company to make it work. Hell, as far as I'm concerned, they have all the puzzle pieces in place. They just have to put them together.

I agree, the article says "TV", but I'm not sure that that localized PITA is something that Apple would touch with a 5 feet pole, which broadcasting standards would they support?

Cable? Aerial? IP? And if yes DVB-S/C/T2, would they accept CA-modules, Card-pairing? TV's are not as simple to release as a computer or mobile device, there are only 2 widely used cell network standards, in broadcasting there somewhere in the 10's

I would love to see one, but a TV is much more than a display.
  • Reply 36 of 197
    In the UK market anyway, all the makers of internet-enabled TVs are bundling in "apps" that allows the TV to view the watch-again content of the various broadcasters - BBC iPlayer, Channel 4 on Demand etc. Pretty well every TV has built-in free-to-air Digital Terrestrial Receivers; some have Satellite Receivers and associated slots for Conditional Access.

If an Apple HDTV didn't support this national content, it would be dead in the water. Paying to rent programs on iTunes will have a certain market but it is less compelling that being able to see a huge amount of BBC content for free (well, for the license fee anyway)

Will Apple negotiate the ability to include watch-again content for every country & include country-specific broadcaster technology? I can't see it myself. At least with the iPhone there was a global mobile standard in place.
  • Reply 37 of 197
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

I would be interested to know what they call it - since both iTV and Apple TV are taken.

Luckily for them Apple TV is their own Trademark. If they reuse it I can see them possible renaming their little box. That said, I wouldn't put it past El-Stevo talking to iTV and cutting a deal with them.
  • Reply 38 of 197
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 165member
    There is definitely a 50" TV coming from Apple. I already had a dream that I was the mac genius assigned to demonstrate it at Best Buy. My dreams have meaning every time.
  • Reply 39 of 197
    I am sure it will be as wildly successful as their AppleTV.
  • Reply 40 of 197
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

Facetime on the 50" during thanksgiving dinner would be awesome...that would be a great way to get out of visiting annoying relatives. You could just facetime with them the whole day.

Yeah, imagine watching 640 x 480 pixels in all it's splendor on a HDTV...