Touch panel makers say Apple hasn't released iPhone 5 production roadmap yet

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Component suppliers from Asia have said that Apple has not yet released a production roadmap for the iPhone 5, providing further evidence that the company is planning a later-than-usual launch for its fifth-generation handset.

Citing sources at Taiwan-based touch panel makers, DigiTimes reported Wednesday that shipment volumes for the iPhone 4 continue to grow. In addition, Apple's chain of suppliers are not yet ready to shift their production lines for new products.

Suppliers typically receive a timetable to stop production of the current product to prepare for the next-generation device. But instead, iPhone 4 touch panel shipments have remained steady.

Sources in Apple's supply chain offered two different interpretations of the situation: Some believe Apple will slightly modify the iPhone 4 and release it in June or July as it has done in years past, while others see a possible "major overhaul" with the iPhone 5 coming at a later date.

Those in the latter camp said that it's possible Apple has faced some design and component issues that need to be resolved. Such complications could push back the debut of the iPhone 5, an event that one rumor has said is unlikely to occur until Apple's 2012 fiscal year, which begins in late September.

Apple typically shows off new iPhone hardware at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco, scheduled to be held this year June 6 through 10. However, numerous reports have indicated that while Apple will use the event to show off the next version of its iOS mobile operating system, no new hardware will be introduced this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Moving the iPhone 5 back to September seems logical. In previous years, they had to hold a special event in April just to preview the new iOS version so developers could prep their products for the launch. Then, they would announce the iphone hardware at a software conference (WWDC) and release it a couple weeks later. However, if they move it back, they can preview the iOS at WWDC and go into more detail since many of the developers will be there and then announce the hardware in September along with their iPod lineup (the iPod touch is essentially a WiFi iphone anyway) with a release shortly after to hit the peak holiday season.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Suppliers typically receive a timetable to stop production of the current product to prepare for the next-generation device. But instead, iPhone 4 touch panel shipments have remained steady.

This doesn't necessary indicate there will be no new iPhone in the pipeline already..

Quote:

Sources in Apple's supply chain offered two different interpretations of the situation: Some believe Apple will slightly modify the iPhone 4 and release it in June or July as it has done in years past, ...

Now this later is more likely..
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill.jands View Post

Moving the iPhone 5 back to September seems logical. In previous years, they had to hold a special event in April just to preview the new iOS version so developers could prep their products for the launch. Then, they would announce the iphone hardware at a software conference (WWDC) and release it a couple weeks later. However, if they move it back, they can preview the iOS at WWDC and go into more detail since many of the developers will be there and then announce the hardware in September along with their iPod lineup (the iPod touch is essentially a WiFi iphone anyway) with a release shortly after to hit the peak holiday season.

You can't count on logic alone when talking about Apple, this is Apple after all that we're talking about.. The Cupertino-based company tend to surprise us all, along with competitors with something new when everyone is expecting otherwise.

Like what AI said in the above article, "Apple typically shows off new iPhone hardware at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference in San Francisco," this is why people believe Apple will unveil new iPhone on the next WWDC. *fingers crossed*
  • Reply 4 of 27
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Keep testing those antennae !
  • Reply 5 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Sources in Apple's supply chain offered two different interpretations of the situation: Some believe Apple will slightly modify the iPhone 4 and release it in June or July as it has done in years past,

Big announcement... NOW IN WHITE
  • Reply 6 of 27
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Jeez, what do people expect? The iPhone 4 was cutting edge when it was released. How much can one company do one short year? How much can tech advance?
  • Reply 7 of 27
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Component suppliers from Asia have said that Apple has not yet released a production roadmap for the iPhone 5, providing further evidence that the company is planning a later-than-usual launch for its fifth-generation handset.

That or Apple is playing the biggest feint on everyone because it is tired of being beaten to the punch for it's product announcement.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    I'll be getting a nice bit back from the government in late August, so waiting for a new iPhone in September sounds a-ok to me
  • Reply 9 of 27
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    So much back and forth on this is very frustrating. I have a 3Gs, and waited a full year for iPhone 4. I was a bit disappointed in the iP4 issues last Summer, so I decided to wait for iP5. Now it looks very unlikely to come out before September. I guess I can make peace with a September rollout, but I won't be able to stand much more. I definitely can't wait until January like some are suggesting. My 3Gs is showing it's age.

If Apple is being so quiet and getting certain "sources" to leak incorrect info just so they can have a truly surprise unveiling in June, then that would be fine. But if it is delayed, I wish they would just say so.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    After reading this article, I read this one:

Apple keeping iPhone 5 cards 'extra close to the vest' in supply chain

Doesn't the first one negate this one?
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Maybe Apple has cut those suppliers out of the loop...maybe they are using new suppliers!
  • Reply 12 of 27
    mehranmehran Posts: 53member
    Apple products go through at least 2 cycles before they are changed drastically (ipad, ipad 2 or iPhone 3G and 3Gs). I believe we will see a new revision of iPhone 4 with easy to change improvements such as new CPU, better slightly improved form factor.

The focus for this year should be to further strengthen the iOS Eco-system and IOS 5 will go a long way to help with that as well as moving users into the cloud which will further differentiate iOS devices from the Droid, windows 7, buy 1 get one free market. I love the fact that Apple commands a health margin for each device. The rumor spreading people fail to remember that Apple indicated last year that iOS will be separated from the phone so it is just logical for this year developer conference to focus on iOS-5 with new capabilities that will allow developers develop once and let it work on every iOS device. For example, the iTV device is still not that easily accessible and we all know that HD resolution does not map perfectly to HD resolution. iOS 5 needs to free developers from having to worry about the hardware and focus on making users go WOW.

If Apple does introduce a lower cost iPhone and as long as it maintains a healthy margin then go for it. Right now, iphone 3Gs continues to sell for $49 while Apple receives a healthy margin since the component prices have come down drastically. What we need is a new iphone 3GS variety that will work with CDMA for US and also for China/India market. Apple will not concede the market to the low margin fragmented phone vendors.

2012 should see the introduction of what I would refer to as iPad-HD, iPhone-HD, iTV-HD with iTunes running in the cloud for most parts.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Maybe Apple has cut those suppliers out of the loop...maybe they are using new suppliers!

I hope you're right...although I don't have a very good feeling about there being an iP5 this summer.

I will say though, it would be really cool to watch Apple pull off a huge surprise unveiling a week or so before launch. After whats-his-name left the iP4 in the bar and completely blew the secret, I bet Apple is itching to sneak one past the media and bloggers and customers, and catch everyone off guard.

Of course I am probably in complete wishful-thinking mode on this.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

If Apple is being so quiet and getting certain "sources" to leak incorrect info just so they can have a truly surprise unveiling in June, then that would be fine. But if it is delayed, I wish they would just say so.

Apple doesn't usually announce products too far in advance of their release, typically software previews like Lion or Final Cut are about all. Even then they have a reasonably solid release window planned.

Currently the iPhone 5 is an unannounced product, therefore it can't be delayed as it has been given no official release date. People have become used to Apple making announcements about iPhones in June and anything past that would be seen as a delay, but they have shown they have no problem with bucking expectation and doing things differently than they have in the past. Witness fewer media events, no MacWorld appearance, some updates happening as web only updates to the Apple site.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    We've read this rumor a hundred times already just reworded with a different title. Post something new when you get hard news about "iPhone 5"
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Whozown View Post

We've read this rumor a hundred times already just reworded with a different title. Post something new when you get hard news about "iPhone 5"

it's like someone is trying hard to convince people that the device isn't coming this late June like usual, makes me even more sure that Apple is spreading these rumors for the obvious reasons
  • Reply 17 of 27
    gwlaw99gwlaw99 Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill.jands View Post

Moving the iPhone 5 back to September seems logical.

Releasing in June is also logical as is releasing in October and November. In fact, any release date that Apple picks is by definition logical.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Releasing in June is also logical as is releasing in October and November. In fact, any release date that Apple picks is by definition logical.

I would say it slightly different in that any date Apple picks is logical to Apple, but not necessarily to consumers. Until there is real evidence that the release of the next iPhone will be later than usual (not just rumor and speculation), then the only release date(s) that my logic can predict is along the same release schedule as used in the past.

It is true that Apple doesn't comment on unreleased products, and an iPhone coming in September isn't by definition a delay if they haven't announced it. But I would argue that Apple has primed consumers with a predictable release schedule since 2007, and in effect conditioned us all to expect and plan according to this schedule.

Apple may very well be in the process of changing their refresh cycle. Likewise, maybe it is a one-time change based on component shortages and/or hardware/software not being ready for primetime. But regardless, since they know we expect and plan on this yearly cycle, they should give us some direct information about when to expect the next handset. It could be as simple as introducing iOS5 at the WWDC, and then saying iOS5 will be available on the next iPhone, which ships this Fall, or whenever. Maybe this is their plan, and maybe not. But I think it would make good business sense to at least announce the shift in product cycle, even if they can't announce the product itself.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Possible. It is also possible that they are using the exact same screen as the iPhone 4. The screen on the iPhone 4 was pretty damn good after all.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Even if launch of iP5 is imminent, the odds of the screen changing would not be great. After all, with Retina Display, you can sit on your laurels for more than 12 months.