Apple assembling team to build 'the future of cloud services'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

I am not happy with this, this team should have been there a couple of years ago at least...

Quote:

Wow, this new hire has only a few months to get this up and running from scratch.

If you follow Apple closely, you will know that they borrow programmers in-house to work on a project, and when it's close to release or after release, they post up a Job thingy for someone new to fill up that roll, so the borrowed programmer can get back to his normal job.

Remember Apple does it's best to keep it's operations secret, so why do you guys think they will post up a job that reveals some of their roadmap pretty early?
  • Reply 22 of 33
    'cj''cj' Posts: 1member
    Apple seems to be building and buying massive amounts of storage space and with the new feature in Lion of encrypting the whole hard disk. This must surely lead to a complete backup in the cloud and also be able to access any file from that backup from any web connected device ~ MobileMe going nuclear ?
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eAi View Post

Apple claim to have 200 million iTunes account holders with credit cards attached, which kind of trumps Netflix's 12 million.

I always think unless Steve jobs is planning the worlds largest credit card fraud scam, what's the big deal about 200 million registered credit cards. You buy from someone because you like their product and no other reason. 200 Million credit cards is just a big insurance bill on protecting them.

Back on subject, cloud means a lot of things. It could be consumer focused like mobile me, or they could be going after the $1.5 billion MS make fram SharePoint. Alternatively they might want to go up against amazon and microsofts cloud hosting services (Pixar use windows azure which I thought was quite funny). Or it could just be writing a load of quite boring web services to provide data to other products.

Problem is, cloud basically just means internet.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Perhaps someone has mentioned this above...but I think Apple is planning an "end-run" around the limiting and expensive Flash drive manufacturers.

Think about it. If most of our "stuff" is in the cloud...we will get by with 8GB iPhones, 16GB iPads and 64GB MBA's.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member
    Apple doesn't seem to really get online services. Look at what they did with .mac/mobileMe. First it was free, then it cost $99 a year, now maybe it will be free again. Dumb. Should have been free all along. Cloud services shouldn't corral you into a single solution provider, except through benefits of interoperability and convenience. For example, maybe I want to use Google Calendar and Yahoo Mail and then add the iTunes music locker. Or maybe I want to set up my own server to host my media and data. My iOS device should allow for all these possibilities, rather than only working with Apple's solution. Apple has created a great ecosystem, but it is a closed system, and this is a bit of a mismatch with the world of online services. They should really create a completely separate division that makes money the same way Google does, that thinks like an online company, rather than being a crippled appendage of a hardware company.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sacto Joe View Post

Keep your eye on the P/E ratio. After next week, it'll hit a low it hasn't seen since the depths of the Great Recession, barring a last minute runup on the stock price to a new high for the year.

So you are saying it will go really low unless it goes really high? I will keep my eye on that.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

So you are saying it will go really low unless it goes really high? I will keep my eye on that.

I'm saying that the P/E ratio (price over earnings) may well drop to lows we haven't seen since 2008. At the end of 2010, it was over 20. Now it's about 18.8. If earnings come in like I think they will, the ratio could drop to 16 or lower.

However, if the stock price picks up to the high for the year in the next week, it may only drop to 17 or 18. Why? Because the price part of the ratio went up, but the earnings went up even more.

I think Apple has a good chance of doubling its earnings for this quarter compared to the same quarter last year. That would constitute a major earnings boost, and consequently if the price hasn't gone up sufficiently the P/E ratio would drop.

Hope this clears things up.

BTW, if you look at the historical data for Apple's P/E ratio, it averaged about 30 for the ten years preceding the Great Recession. If Apple had a P/E ratio of 30 today, it would be priced at around 535 bucks a share....
  • Reply 28 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Apple doesn't seem to really get online services. Look at what they did with .mac/mobileMe. First it was free, then it cost $99 a year, now maybe it will be free again. Dumb. Should have been free all along. Cloud services shouldn't corral you into a single solution provider, except through benefits of interoperability and convenience. For example, maybe I want to use Google Calendar and Yahoo Mail and then add the iTunes music locker. Or maybe I want to set up my own server to host my media and data. My iOS device should allow for all these possibilities, rather than only working with Apple's solution. Apple has created a great ecosystem, but it is a closed system, and this is a bit of a mismatch with the world of online services. They should really create a completely separate division that makes money the same way Google does, that thinks like an online company, rather than being a crippled appendage of a hardware company.

I get what your saying but I can't see it ever happening. It's just not what Apple's about, it never has been and unless their business model starts to completely fail (no sign of that any time soon), it's not going to be.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

Wow, this new hire has only a few months to get this up and running from scratch.

What I'm wondering is I thought Apple *already was* building the "future" of cloud services. You mean they haven't started yet? That's concerning.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I doubt very much that Apple started doing this only right now. This article from Apple Insider is based on a flimsy discovery of an ad for a position by Apple. Apple Insider does this all the time -- shoddy speculation.

Do you really think that Apple invested initially $1 billion for the initial plan (and then doubled the space) almost two years ago already without any long term plan? Didn't you read about the Vice President (???) of Apple who died who was spearheading this venture?

CGC

Fair enough. But it's time for Apple to really start putting their Cloud cards on the table so that we can enjoy the fruits of their labour. Though, with Apple, they only roll it out when the time is right, so I can wait... But not too long.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

I love all this cloud talk, but won't internet availability still be a bottleneck?

3G has decent coverage but it's not fast enough.

"4G" is fast enough but it doesn't have enough coverage.

I don't want my music in the cloud if I won't always have it exactly when I want it.

I don't want my movies in the cloud if I'm on the road in the backseat going in and out of service.

I don't want my photos in the cloud if I have to make somebody wait while I try to show them that one picture.

Let's just hope technology catches up to Steve's aspirations...

There is a finite amount of mobile wireless spectrum and 4G is barely getting off the ground.

The problem is there needs to be a breakthrough of some sort eg. what DSL did for fixed-line broadband.

I always wonder how they made the engineering shift from dial-up to DSL because to me that was a really impressive transition to widespread broadband adoption. You didn't need to run new cables and more and more bandwidth was "magically" added to your ageing copper telephone wires, across the globe.

What we are seeing with 3G is a similar attempt but the ageing mobile voice networks simply cannot handle the bandwidth that is required, hence the need to build out 4G networks... But even then in the US and globally I'm not seeing the "magic bullet" yet that is going to make what we need a reality.

And what do we need in 2011 to 2015? A single wireless broadband account (or at least appearing that way to the user) for all your devices that goes everywhere you go running at 10mbit/sec minimum with unlimited quota at a price point of USD $35 a month.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

I doubt very much that Apple started doing this only right now. This article from Apple Insider is based on a flimsy discovery of an ad for a position by Apple. Apple Insider does this all the time -- shoddy speculation.

Do you really think that Apple invested initially $1 billion for the initial plan (and then doubled the space) almost two years ago already without any long term plan? Didn't you read about the Vice President (???) of Apple who died who was spearheading this venture?

CGC

Yes I did, and you are right, I did overreact here, I guess I'd really like to see that new mm soon and I get impatient.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Fair enough. But it's time for Apple to really start putting their Cloud cards on the table so that we can enjoy the fruits of their labour. Though, with Apple, they only roll it out when the time is right, so I can wait... But not too long.

precisely.