First-quarter Mac sales grow 9.6% in US as rest of market drops 10.7%

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple's line of Mac computers saw great success in the U.S. in the first quarter of calendar 2011, growing 9.6 from 2010, while the rest of the American market fell 10.7 percent and netbook maker Acer tumbled 42.1 percent.

Apple earned an 8.5 percent total share of the U.S. PC market, selling an estimated 1.375 million units in the first quarter of 2011, according to research group IDC. Apple's market share was well up from the 7 percent it saw in the first quarter of 2010.

The 9.6 percent growth from Apple well outpaced the market average, though rival Toshiba grew even faster, at 10.4 percent year over year. Apple finished just behind Toshiba, in fourth place in the U.S.

Sales for the top company, HP, slid 2.4 percent from 2010, while Dell sunk 11.8 percent. HP represented 27 percent of sales, while Dell took 23.1 percent.

Coming in at fifth, Acer tumbled a whopping 42.1 percent, garnering an 8.3 percent share of the market with 1.331 million units sold.

Acer and its line of low-cost, low-power netbooks have struggled since Apple introduced the iPad last year. In March, Acer revealed its plans to "overhaul operations" and focus on profit margins rather than market share.

Worldwide, PC sales were down 3.2 percent year over year. HP and Dell were No. 1 and No. 2, respectively as well, though both saw their total sales dip from a year ago. HP commanded 18.9 percent of the market, while Dell took 12.8 percent in the first quarter of calendar 2011.

In the global market, Acer took third, and its 15.8 percent its drop in sales was not as drastic as seen in the U.S. Lenovo came in fourth, garnering 10.1 percent of sales, while Toshiba was fifth at 6 percent.

"The U.S. and worldwide PC market continues to work through a difficult era that we expect will continue into next quarter, but will start to improve in the second half of the year," said Bob O'Donnell, program vice president with Clients and Displays at IDC "Slower than expected commercial growth in the first quarter failed to offset the ongoing challenges in the consumer market. While it's tempting to blame the decline completely on the growth of media tablets, we believe other factors, including extended PC lifetimes and the lack of compelling new PC experiences, played equally significant roles."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    who, what happened to Acer!?
  • Reply 2 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The 9.6 percent growth from Apple well outpaced the market average, though rival Toshiba grew even faster, at 10.4 percent year over year. Apple finished just behind Toshiba, in fourth place in the U.S.

Sales for the top company, HP, slid 2.4 percent from 2010, while Dell sunk 11.8 percent. HP represented 27 percent of sales, while Dell took 23.1 percent.

Coming in at fifth, Acer tumbled a whopping 42.1 percent, garnering an 8.3 percent share of the market with 1.331 million units sold.

Acer and its line of low-cost, low-power netbooks have struggled since Apple introduced the iPad last year. In March, Acer revealed its plans to "overhaul operations" and focus on profit margins rather than market share

Ok, so are these figures including iPad? Cause if we're counting the Netbooks then we should be counting the iPads.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

iPad tore it a new one.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

iPad tore it a new one.

Yeah. I was wondering what effect the iPad had had on the netbook market. Now I know.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    ...Apple's market share numbers don't include the iPad.

Quote:

iPad tore it a new one.

• Reply 6 of 50
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Ok, so are these figures including iPad? Cause if we're counting the Netbooks then we should be counting the iPads.

No market definition is perfect. This one here is about mouse/trackpad/cursor-driven computers. Apple likely has sold several millions of iPads, if they were included, they might have been number one.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    Quote:

iPad tore it a new one.

Is that a technical phrase? If so, I hope to see it as a headline on the FT front page!

PS. In other news, deliveries of toilet paper to RIM HQ's are up!

PPS. I had to connect my a friend's Window PC to a router a few days ago...Uggh! I felt I was back in 1995 with the clunky XP OS and beige keyboard and mouse. It made me nauseous. I think I can run my whole business with an iPad2 and my iP4!
  • Reply 8 of 50
    Seeing this chart, you'd have to wonder why Apple's share price is continually dropping. If Apple is pretty much outperforming the rest of the computer industry and not even counting the iPad 2, most would think that Apple is doing rather well on the revenue front. Already there are analysts trying to take Apple shares down further by mentioning "weak" guidance. If Apple is being said to have "weak" guidance then what are the rest of those computer companies guiding. Apple, the company, has continued to perform very well in this economy and there's no reason why it shouldn't continue to perform. So, what's with the "weak" guidance. Will Apple be the only computer company affected by the Japan disaster? I honestly do not understand Apple's recent share performance at all.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

I used to have an Acer notebook, back in the day... I remember that the logo was painted on and would start to run when I cleaned the lid. Quality: Acer hasn't it.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Good for Toshiba, assuming they are making decent PCs with a decent profit margins.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

While I?m sure they?d agree the iPad is upsetting the traditional market, even being responsible for Apple?s lower YoY percentage increase, they are clear they only include machines with a keyboard/pointer and a desktop OS.

Maybe these tablets will become so important that they get included but so far I haven?t seen any signs of that.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

No market definition is perfect. This one here is about mouse/trackpad/cursor-driven computers. Apple likely has sold several millions of iPads, if they were included, they might have been number one.

Using the holiday numbers for the iPad we have 7.33 million units we get 8.705 million units. That?s 4.36 million more than HP would now now be at position #2. It?s also about 700% growth YoY.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    wowotoewowotoe Posts: 11member
    Recent NASDAQ spread restructure may add in some pressures to the stock price. Although Apple is not the only one affected by Japanese supply shortage, but they might be the biggest due to the sales volume. If iPad's production is slowed down for a day, that might be over 10K of sales. If Moto Xoom's production is slowed down for a day, they still have plenty of them in stock cuz no one wants to buy it

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Seeing this chart, you'd have to wonder why Apple's share price is continually dropping. If Apple is pretty much outperforming the rest of the computer industry and not even counting the iPad 2, most would think that Apple is doing rather well on the revenue front. Already there are analysts trying to take Apple shares down further by mentioning "weak" guidance. If Apple is being said to have "weak" guidance then what are the rest of those computer companies guiding. Apple, the company, has continued to perform very well in this economy and there's no reason why it shouldn't continue to perform. So, what's with the "weak" guidance. Will Apple be the only computer company affected by the Japan disaster? I honestly do not understand Apple's recent share performance at all.

• Reply 13 of 50
    macsharkmacshark Posts: 229member
    Is there any data on market share numbers by revenue instead of by unit volume?
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macshark View Post

Is there any data on market share numbers by revenue instead of by unit volume?

The article is from March 23rd, 2010 and the data from 2009 so it’s a little old. The only things we can know is that Apple is making more profit, Acer Dell and HP are making less. I wonder if Toshiba is finally turning a profit again in PC sales.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Good for Toshiba, assuming they are making decent PCs with a decent profit margins.

While I?m sure they?d agree the iPad is upsetting the traditional market, even being responsible for Apple?s lower YoY percentage increase, they are clear they only include machines with a keyboard/pointer and a desktop OS.

Maybe these tablets will become so important that they get included but so far I haven?t seen any signs of that.

It'll be interesting to see how they slice and dice the data.

Personally I never understood why "Netbook" became a category by itself. To me it was just a shit laptop!

I think a distinction of things with and things without a keyboard is a pretty sound divide for a category.
  • Reply 16 of 50
    faxthatfaxthat Posts: 64member
    Over 90% of market is still on Windows/Linux? If so, Apple still has a long way to go.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faxthat View Post

Over 90% of market is still on Windows/Linux? If so, Apple still has a long way to go.

Apple is not focused on dominating PC marketshare. They are pursuing profits.

Apple let others chase after marketshare. Like Acer. Who has now admitted that they were wrong to do so.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by faxthat View Post

As an investor and developer it's clear the money to be made is on the fastest growing market.

iOS and OS X.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    For example Acer certainly is hurting a bit due to the iPad. However I suspect they are hurting a lot more over the new AIRs which are fantastic little machines with features that can't be matched on machines running either Windows or Linux. AIRs fit perfectly between the iPad and the rest of the Mac family.

Contrary to opinions often expressed here Apple isn't ignoring the Mac line up nor the hot selling laptops. Apples laptop line up represents bleeding edge technology at rather decent prices. There is currently nothing on the market that really competes with the new MBPs nor the AIRs. More importantly Apple has a decent OS for these machines unlike the PC world where you wither have a generic Windows variant or a Linux install. (don't get me wrong I'm a long time Linux users but we have to admit that you won't find laptops with Linux integration like is see in Apples products)

So iPad is part of the equation when it comes to the collapse of the netbook market but the real story here is the vast change in public opinion with respect to Mac hardware. The AIR is a vastly better netbook competitor that sucks up what the iPad won't. People see value in buying Mac hardware that fits their needs, something that wasn't the case a few years ago.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    Apple may have sold as many as 7-8 million iPad computers during this first quarter, so Apple actually grew a lot more than these people are reporting. A LOT more.