Apple unveils new 64-bit Final Cut Pro X

Comments

• Reply 121 of 159
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It's Apple. They can give you a "Install Final Cut Pro" app in your Applications folder, like how Xcode is delivered now. So the installer will basically get around any limitations.

Interesting. Are other App Store developers allowed to do the same thing with their programs, i.e. give you an "Install" app which then installs stuff all over the hard drive?
  • Reply 122 of 159
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

My initial reaction is; if they're offering this via the Mac App Store, would it still come with all the Jam Packs that the existing FCS includes? If so that would be a tremendously large download size. Maybe Apple will cut bundling the Jam Packs and start selling them in stores as a separate bundle and that's where some of the savings are coming from.

If Final Cut Studio is only $299, I wonder what price for Logic Studio, maybe just $199! That or they could stop selling Logic Studio as a separate bundle.

So many questions...all will be revealed in time...

It is final cut pro for $299 not Studio. If there are separate apps you are looking at more like $500-600 for all of FCS.

As for the whole logic thing. They will likely do the same breakout including buying the jam packs in groups like you can now. But all of it via MAS. And hopefully much cheaper (those packs should be $30 each, $50 tops)
  • Reply 123 of 159
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I think the presenter made mention the software is considered Beta by Apple. The live demo part was kept short for that reason. I think Apple will be fine tuning the application quite a bit over the next two months.

Apple probably doesn't want to go into a terrible amount of detail incase it has to add or get rid of things.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bystander View Post

I know this isn't a big deal, but this is definitely an unusual way for apple to announce a big product. As I write this, there isn't a peep on the Apple site about Final Cut Pro X.

We can all come up with a bunch of reasons why this is so, but you have to admit, this is different.

I know; I get it:

- FCP X is just for pros and pros are hardcore

- FCP X is not released yet and not really ready yet

- The venue was exactly the Moscone Center

- They don't want to discourage sales of existing version or FC Express

BUT STILL, I think everyone on this thread knows that when Apple normally announce an upcoming operating system set to be released months or years away, they always have a web page dedicated to the new upcoming release in addition to their many pages dedicated to the existing version that they are still selling.

The apple site usually goes live with the new materials almost instantly after the keynote.

Is this sloppiness or calculated? Is this a symptom of Apple working without Steve Jobs?

It's weird.

• Reply 124 of 159
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

I'm confused. Did they actually say a complete new license will be $299, or is only the "upgrade" going to be $299? There's a lot of difference between those two items. I've bought lots of upgrades at reduced prices, but a new license of a professional app has almost never been so low, especially when being marketed to an industry like the video production world that pays close to that for a lens cap.

It is the full price. And not surprising when you consider

Apple makes the software

Apple is selling via a channel that they control and apparently only that channel

It will be download only as will be the documentation. So no costs to stamp disks, no printing anything, no shipping costs

And the biggie

It only runs on Macs making it something of a loss leader to computer sales.

FCP probably costs them only like $50 a copy to make, so they will have plenty of profit

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Why do they believe that Apple is no longer interested in the pro market?

Those that talk that talk due so because of the apparent focus on the iPad etc. They forget that Apple needs the 'easy money' from such things to pay for everything else. They also forget that Apple doesn't give updates of works in progress every week/month so they have no proof of what Apple is or is not working on. Plus many of them have never tried to completely rewrite a major piece of software so they have an unrealistic view on how little time it would take
  • Reply 125 of 159
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Whoever said FCP X was limited to 8-Core needs their hearing checked.

With GCD it leverages all available cores, and with OpenCL all the GPGPU streams/cores available to throw at it.
  • Reply 126 of 159
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Whoever said FCP X was limited to 8-Core needs their hearing checked.

With GCD it leverages all available cores, and with OpenCL all the GPGPU streams/cores available to throw at it.

Would it be able to use multiple graphics cards in parallel on a Mac Pro, like SLI or Crossfire?
  • Reply 127 of 159
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xanthohappy View Post

Yup, just watched it myself. He specifically said they were "doing away with all of that" and "greatly simplifying the pricing structure." It's at 25:30 in this video: http://www.vimeo.com/22341718

That video, by the way, is a great quality video (compared to everything else I've found) of almost the entire demo. Check it out, it looks amazing. Yes, there are still some unanswered questions, but the stuff in that video looks like it is going to be at least somewhat game-changing.

Outrageous, mind-boggling demo! Wow.
  • Reply 128 of 159
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    "Apple boasted that there are 2 million Final Cut Pro users with a 94 percent satisfaction rate."

I'm excited about this release and don't want to be a nattering nabob, but this statement is kind of like "94% of those who didn't abandon it due to their dissatisfaction are satisfied"

What happens if you include those who don't use it because they're dissatisfied with it?
  • Reply 129 of 159
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Would it be able to use multiple graphics cards in parallel on a Mac Pro, like SLI or Crossfire?

SLI/Crossfire is only for display, and primarily gaming. No advantage for Grand Central or GPU computation (so don't look for it any time soon)
  • Reply 130 of 159
    I asked an acquaintance, who is a network executive, if they were going to attend NAB or had heard anything about the new FCP to be shown there. The acquaintance is non-technical, but here was the first response before the FCPX showing (emphasis mine):

Quote:

"FCP is actually a powerful program but I still think iMovie does the job for most less than 10 minutes productions. Its [FCP] real value is revealed when using After Effects or Motion, integrated tight in the production. Content is still king and video 'direction' makes a video look pro... not really the 'editing' tools in most cases.

If you ever travel to NY I would love to give you a tour of some of the edit suites and see how the product is integrated in the workflow. FCP is not the main edit tool, however as a FCP fan you will see its value when connected to graphic virtual sets and tapeless video ingest servers. Pretty amazing in capable hands. But you will also see how simple on & off-line systems (equiv. to iMovie) does the bulk of the work."

The acquaintance did not attend NAB but had some people there. I got this note a couple of hours ago:

Quote:

The word came back. FCP X is a winner.

• Reply 131 of 159
    I just finished watching the second video -- the Randy demo of FCPX editing.

Towards the end, he clicks a control that turns off the thumnails -- the thumbnail of each clip is just text and looks similar to a clip on the timeline in FCP 7.

So, those who are put off by the iMovie look -- can just turn it off.
  • Reply 132 of 159
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I just finished watching the second video -- the Randy demo of FCPX editing.

Towards the end, he clicks a control that turns off the thumnails -- the thumbnail of each clip is just text and looks similar to a clip on the timeline in FCP 7.

Personally, I think it's a spectacular upgrade and at $300 who wouldn't want to get it?
  • Reply 133 of 159
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

After watching the video, those who are equating Final Cut Pro X to the "iMovie look" need to look again - or get steamrolled. What a quantum leap forward in interface design - I'm not a hot and heavy user of Final Cut, but I could relate with what he was demoing far easier than anything I have played with with Avid, Primer, Vegas, or previous versions of Final Cut.

I really do feel somewhat sorry for many of the folks who are tied to Avid or other (now) archaic interfaces - I can understand how a shift this dramatic can be threatening. But I think Apple has the potential to really set the industry on it's ear. While it's a little early, and the other shoes on the other pieces of the former Final Cut Suite haven't dropped yet - but anyone who watches that video and still is insisting that Apple doesn't understand or is abandoning their Pro apps is simply delusional.
  • Reply 134 of 159
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    I'll say one thing-- the FCP presentation has really driven home how clueless the average Apple basher actually is. People who clearly have no idea what FCP's position in the professional film industry actually is are gobbling on about the "toy interface" and "dumbed down" processes and how $300 is typical Apple gouging. Oh, and that Premier has been 64 bit for a while, so suck it fanbois.

It's kind of awesome. The same people who think saying "open" and "multitasking" and "Flash" a lot makes them part of a tech elite are completely and comically out of their depth, and seem befuddled that they're getting schooled by pro film folk.
  • Reply 135 of 159
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I'll say one thing-- the FCP presentation has really driven home how clueless the average Apple basher actually is. People who clearly have no idea what FCP's position in the professional film industry actually is are gobbling on about the "toy interface" and "dumbed down" processes and how $300 is typical Apple gouging. Oh, and that Premier has been 64 bit for a while, so suck it fanbois.

It's kind of awesome. The same people who think saying "open" and "multitasking" and "Flash" a lot makes them part of a tech elite are completely and comically out of their depth, and seem befuddled that they're getting schooled by pro film folk.

Like.
  • Reply 136 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

When can I buy it?!

Read the first line.
  • Reply 137 of 159
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    People are already calling this iMovie Pro.
  • Reply 138 of 159
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    That's just ignorance and fear of change.

Plus editing is editing regardless of the tool you are using. You are a good editor on iMovie or FCP, you are a crappy editor on iMovie or FCP.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

• Reply 139 of 159
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:

Wow that article was actually WORSE than I thought it would be and my expectations were really low.

FCPX delivers pretty much everything that most users I speak to wanted.
  • Reply 140 of 159
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

What don't you like about FCP X?

I know that only a limited amount of info is available right now but what are you concerned or unhappy about?