Mysterious 'ix.Mac.MarketingName' listed as supported Apple device for iOS apps

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A number of universal applications on the iOS App Store have listed an unknown product placeholder name -- "ixMac.MarketingName" -- as a compatible device, fueling speculation that Apple could be poised introduce apps on a new device.

The App Store bug has appeared under the compatible devices list for a number of universal applications, or software that runs on Apple's entire range of iOS devices -- the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. The glitch, appearing with the iOS application Prompt, was first publicized by MacRumors.

The unknown product "ix.Mac.MarketingName" does not appear on all universal App Store applications, as MyVoice Communication Aid, which relies on GPS data and voice input, and Bing for iPad, which is not a universal application, do not include the listing. But many other universal applications, like Marvel Comics, do feature "ix.Mac.MarketingName."

That led Engadget to suggest that "ix.Mac.MarketingName" is more than just a glitch, and perhaps a placeholder for a new supported device that will run software from the App Store.

In addition to the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, Apple does have one more iOS-based device that does not have support for native applications: the new second-generation Apple TV. Rumors leading up to that device's announcement last year suggested that Apple would include access to the App Store on its iOS-based set top box.

Apple has allowed third-party iOS applications on mobile devices to utilize the Apple TV via its wireless streaming protocol dubbed AirPlay. Support for AirPlay in third-party applications came with the release of iOS 4.3 for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch in March.

Applications that add the AirPlay feature can stream both audio and video to the new Apple TV, which is powered by the same A4 processor found inside the iPhone 4 and first-generation iPad. But those applications must be run from an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, and cannot be downloaded to or accessed from the Apple TV itself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    I want to buy an iX.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    "iPad 2"
  • Reply 3 of 49
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

I want to buy an iX.

Oh, no. Ixians are evil. They want to take all your spice.

My guess is that Apple is working diligently toward licensing AirPlay technologies to TV manufacturers (or selling a card that fits in the cable card slots that many TVs have. That would explain why games and comics use this marketingname device while GPS-enabled apps don't.

For the conspiracy theorists, it could be an Apple HDTV, but I just don't see Apple going there. Licensing the technology to TV manufacturers makes a lot more sense.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    I think Apple is just getting ready for the Developers Conference in June, they always select few apps or companies to test things for the future. It happened on every iOS announcement.

The name probably a place holder for something. Maybe ability to run iOS apps on iMac.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    a_ka_k Posts: 32member
    Apps on Apple TV, starting in June. Compatible with Apple Smart TV when that one is released at the end of this year or early next year.
  • Reply 6 of 49
    Many machines on Ix.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A_K View Post

Apps on Apple TV, starting in June. Compatible with Apple Smart TV when that one is released at the end of this year or early next year.

That's the first thing I thought of. Apple TV will get applications... how revolutionary will they be? Who knows... but I can see the Apple TV being an absolute Trojan horse. If the Apple TV had "cool apps," did Netflix, and streamed movies... it would replace much of my PS3 needs.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

That's the first thing I thought of. Apple TV will get applications... how revolutionary will they be? Who knows... but I can see the Apple TV being an absolute Trojan horse. If the Apple TV had "cool apps," did Netflix, and streamed movies... it would replace much of my PS3 needs.

Apple TV already does Netflix and streams movies better than the PS3.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Not sure about the Apple TV reference. The first thing I thought of was Apple merging the iOS App Store and Mac App Store together.

Maybe I am just crazy but it would make things more intrgrated in my opinion, and I don't see why the iOS app store should be a part of iTunes other than the syncing, but there is no reason iTunes can't pull from the App Store app (at least on OS X).
  • Reply 10 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Hybrid Mac-iPad / OS X-iOS
  • Reply 11 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Many machines on Ix.

But have you ever seen an Ixian female?
  • Reply 12 of 49
    Quote:

I want to buy an iX.

Nah!

Never buy a 1.0 Apple Product... wait for the bugs to be worked out in version 2
  • Reply 13 of 49
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    I love mysterious new listings. Something interesting to think about. And, it is finally something new to distract from the ever-frustrating and pointless "The iPhone 5 will be released on ______" debate.
  • Reply 14 of 49
    ... then, there's the fragmentation issue
  • Reply 15 of 49
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Not sure about the Apple TV reference. The first thing I thought of was Apple merging the iOS App Store and Mac App Store together.

Maybe I am just crazy but it would make things more intrgrated in my opinion, and I don't see why the iOS app store should be a part of iTunes other than the syncing, but there is no reason iTunes can't pull from the App Store app (at least on OS X).

I?m not a fan of this idea. iOS apps are within the iTunes Store portal because they are also stored and organized within iTunes. They can?t be used on a Mac and then you have an inconsistency with the Windows app which has no Mac App Store, for obvious reasons.

Personally, I?d like to see the Mac App Store and Mac?s Software Update merge into one since both are installed and run on Macs. I don?t want to have to access two apps to get access to updates. I nifty flip effect like in iBooks and iBookstore would give it adequate separation if that is an issue.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

Many machines on Ix.

This is the #winning post
  • Reply 17 of 49
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    It's the A4 emulator with iOS for the rest of us, to run under Lion. Running iOS apps on a Mac won't be just for developers any more.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    Quote:

I want to buy an iX.

Silly Rabbit.

iX are for kids.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    rnp1rnp1 Posts: 175member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

"iPad 2"

iPad Touch?
  • Reply 20 of 49
    ix.Mac.MarketingName is an anagram for "making Matrix menace", which can only mean that Apple is developing a crappy prequel to The Matrix... either that or they're working on self-aware iOS devices -- I for one welcome our new iX overlords.