Apple releases iOS 4.3.2 with fixes for FaceTime, 3G networks

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday released iOS 4.3.2, an incremental update for its mobile operating system that addresses frozen screens during FaceTime calls and issues that prevented international users from connecting to 3G networks.

The update is also said to include the latest security updates. It is available for the iPhone 4 GSM model, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2, iPad, and third- and fourth-generation iPod touch.

The update does not apply to the CDMA-based Verizon iPhone 4, which was given its own unique software update, iOS 4.2.7.

The last incremental update for iOS came in late March in the form of iOS 4.3.1. It addressed issues related to some cellular networks, and also fixed an occasional graphics glitch with the fourth-generation iPod touch.

Rumors of an iOS 4.3.2 began soon after, with claims that the minor update would include mostly bug fixes. Apple is believed to have largely turned its attention to its next major release, expected to be iOS 5.

Apple has said it will show of the "future of iOS" at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, set to kick off on June 6 in San Francisco, Calif. WWDC 2011 is expected to be a software-only event, as Apple is rumored to have no plans to show off new hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    At first I thought this was the addition of FaceTime over ‘3G’ that was promised(?) in 2011.
  • Reply 2 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

At first I thought this was the addition of FaceTime over ?3G? that was promised(?) in 2011.

When was it promised? I know they said they'd look into it, but I never heard the word promised. Also, and I don't know where you're located, but I don't think AT&T is ready for it.
  • Reply 3 of 52
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    I never heard about a promise either. Before they add facetime over 3G, lets get the battery issues fixed please.
  • Reply 4 of 52
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

I never heard about a promise either. Before they add facetime over 3G, lets get the battery issues fixed please.

Yeah battery life is seriously becoming a joke. Isn't the largest internal component of the iPhone it's battery?
  • Reply 5 of 52
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Facetime over 3G is the best way to go way over your downstream limit very quickly. Most users wouldn't understand that and would receive massive bills, bills that carriers would blame on Apple. Apple would get bad press and then well... that'd be close to a first.
  • Reply 6 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

When was it promised? I know they said they'd look into it, but I never heard the word promised. Also, and I don't know where you're located, but I don't think AT&T is ready for it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Steve Jobs: "FaceTime will be WiFi-only in 2010. We need to work a little with the cellular providers. Get ready... for the future. So we?re WiFi-only in 2010.?
  • Reply 7 of 52
    The CDMA version also got an update today, too.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobpenn View Post

The CDMA version also got an update today, too.

I?m surprised it wasn?t versioned at 4.3.2. I wonder why Apple is holding that back.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    eaieai Posts: 417member
    Quote:

I?m surprised it wasn?t versioned at 4.3.2. I wonder why Apple is holding that back.

Just two different streams of development, which will presumably be merged together for iOS 5.
  • Reply 10 of 52
    Anyone know if 4.3.2 addresses the WiFi connectivity problems affecting a number of us iPhone 4 users?
  • Reply 11 of 52
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Steve Jobs: "FaceTime will be WiFi-only in 2010. We need to work a little with the cellular providers. Get ready... for the future. So we’re WiFi-only in 2010.”

So once again, where did he specifically promise 3G FaceTime in 2011? I didn't hear him say we promise it'll be available in 2011. Just because we're wi-fi only in 2010 doesn't mean it can't extend to 2011. Now if you want him to come out and specifically say that......that's your problem.
  • Reply 12 of 52
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Anyone know if 4.3.2 addresses the WiFi connectivity problems affecting a number of us iPhone 4 users?

Well if you have the problem now, go ahead and update to see if it works. Worst case, the problem is the same right?
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

So once again, where did he specifically promise 3G FaceTime in 2011? I didn't hear him say we promise it'll be available in 2011. Just because we're wi-fi only in 2010 doesn't mean it can't extend to 2011. Now if you want him to come out and specifically say that......that's your problem.

If it will only be WiFi in 2010, you can’t see how this infers it allow a different connection in 2011? What other connection type do you think would be added besides WiFi? USB? Bluetooth? Do you not see how his words are an assurance that cellular connectivity will be coming after 2010?
  • Reply 14 of 52
    srathisrathi Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Fragmentation!!!
  • Reply 15 of 52
    tastas Posts: 1member
    I just wish they'd fix the iPhone 4 proximity switch already! How many of you have had your cheek dial or hang up when you don't want it ?!!!
  • Reply 16 of 52
    666.2 mb
  • Reply 17 of 52
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

666.2 mb

Isn't this a pretty serious design flaw, when they can only update the OS by completely replacing it?

Android phones can do small incremental updates without needing to be plugged into a computer, but with iOS, the same updates would eat up a pretty major chunk out of the data plan...
  • Reply 18 of 52
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Does anybody know what exactly the difference between:

4.2.5 and 4.3

4.2.6 and 4.3.1

4.2.7 and 4.3.2 is?

Apart from a 0.0.5 version number difference and that one is for CDMA and the other for GSM?

Since even the CDMA iPad is at 4.3.2 it cannot simply mean CDMA vs. GSM.

And if you took the 666 MB 4.2.7 update and compared the files to the 666 MB 4.3.2 update, wouldn't 95% of all files be identical? Hey, I am sure the 4.3.2 update for a 3GS is not identical to the 4.3.2 update for the iPhone 4, yet both phones OS is labelled the same. Why not for the CDMA iPhone?

In short, is there anything so fundamentally different that it would matter from a user or developer standpoint if your phone is on 4.2.7 or 4.3.2? Or there any differences for a developer (except the simultaneous data issue)? We know they files are not identical but there must be difference exposed to the outside, otherwise there would not be a need to label it.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    felipurfelipur Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tas View Post

I just wish they'd fix the iPhone 4 proximity switch already! How many of you have had your cheek dial or hang up when you don't want it ?!!!

They fixed that a long time ago. If you still have the problem, it's hardware so go get a replacement phone. I went through 2 until the 3rd worked.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Does anybody know what exactly the difference between:

4.2.5 and 4.3

4.2.6 and 4.3.1

4.2.7 and 4.3.2 is?

Apart from a 0.0.5 version number difference and that one is for CDMA and the other for GSM?

Since even the CDMA iPad is at 4.3.2 it cannot simply mean CDMA vs. GSM.

And if you took the 666 MB 4.2.7 update and compared the files to the 666 MB 4.3.2 update, wouldn't 95% of all files be identical? Hey, I am sure the 4.3.2 update for a 3GS is not identical to the 4.3.2 update for the iPhone 4, yet both phones OS is labelled the same. Why not for the CDMA iPhone?

In short, is there anything so fundamentally different that it would matter from a user or developer standpoint if your phone is on 4.2.7 or 4.3.2? Or there any differences for a developer (except the simultaneous data issue)? We know they files are not identical but there must be difference exposed to the outside, otherwise there would not be a need to label it.

it?s fairly complex but the simplist chart, I know of, for surveying multiple versions of iOS is from Wikipedia: