Apple unveils new 64-bit Final Cut Pro X

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 159
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That's just ignorance and fear of change.

Fear of the unknown is a factor (as in, I fear this new UI is a total POS). However, I am reserving my final conclusion on this until after I've used and had enough time to learn FCPX.

I think the linked article expresses a lot of the fears that Pro users have about FCPX. Whether they turn out to be unfounded or not remains to be seen.

Quote:

Defined by some specialized media as a kind of iMovie Pro,the truth is that the new Final Cut includes a wide range of automation software better suited for domestic use than professional use...

It's hard to resist the comparison (and I hate iMovie).

From http://www.easternews.net/1372/final...-june-for-299/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Plus editing is editing regardless of the tool you are using. You are a good editor on iMovie or FCP, you are a crappy editor on iMovie or FCP.

That is true to a certain extent but there is a point where the tools do make a difference.
  • Reply 142 of 159
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

SLI/Crossfire is only for display, and primarily gaming. No advantage for Grand Central or GPU computation (so don't look for it any time soon)

Nvidia would disagree that SLI is only good for gaming.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_sli.html

Another argument I see is that "Macs don't need SLI because the Quadro is a professional card." Well, if 1 Quadro card is so "professional", wouldn't 2 or more working in parallel be even more "professional"?
  • Reply 143 of 159
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

What don't you like about FCP X?

I apologize for not answering your question directly, but read the concerns raised in this thread.
  • Reply 144 of 159
    If you look closely at the end of this incredible timelapse video shot from a plane flying from San Francisco to Paris, you will see the person who made it used Final Cut Pro X. Its actually an amazing timelapse, I suggest you watch and when you get to the last frames of the video, for a split second it flashes his camera setup on a tripod and then the shot of Final Cut Pro X on a Macbook Pro alongside an iPad with the Korg App on screen somewhere in Paris. Uploaded on Apr 1, 2011.
  • Reply 145 of 159
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

I apologize for not answering your question directly, but read the concerns raised in this thread.

The concerns seem to include:

- 3-point edit system

- plugins

- tape I/O

- log & capture

- 'child-like' UI

- being able to run FCP and FCX concurrently

- Color correction tools

- rewriting tutorial material

- support for capture hardware

- no track lines

The least important points I'd say are the UI style and relearning. The UI is not that much different from FCP in terms of function or layout. It just behaves more intuitively. Final Cut Pro does things wrong and learning the wrong way doesn't make it the right way.

Having to remake tutorials is a plus for book writers because they can make new ones and as far as teachers are concerned, less of having to answer what the hell messages like "File Error: unknown file" mean.

The UI style being child-like and unprofessional is plain silly. These people still use aqua Mac OS X and don't seem to have any problem with it. FCP uses an archaic UI just like Shake did and most of the legacy apps and it causes problems/glitches. Good UI design makes a difference to productivity. No disappearing panels or messed up layouts or closing a panel by accident or clicking in a gap between them. Putting on a drab suit doesn't give you credibility, let people judge you based on what you do.

Given that the stage demo showed a project transitioned from FCP to FCX, it's probably safe to assume it's capable of creating the same edits so 3-point edits, track lines etc shouldn't be concerns but obviously all will be clear in the release. Same with the current CC tools.

I highly doubt that Apple will drop plugin or hardware support, although legacy capture/export could be dropped. Their decisions will be based on what the industry tells them and not people with old HDV cams. If the industry has moved primarily to digital capture, there's no need for tape input/output. Backing up to tape (e.g LTO) is a different thing entirely and doesn't need to be handled by Final Cut.

Being able to run FCP and FCX together would be for people who just want to test it first or use it alongside the current workflow. It would probably be wise of Apple to do this so people can transition projects.

The important point I think that was clear is that they've listened to feedback from the professional users and delivered a huge number of big improvements. If there's anything missing that's needed, they'll get to know pretty quickly. At the end of the day, we're talking about NLE, it's not exactly the most complicated set of software tools in the world. You have input clips, chop them up and correct them and output clips. It's pretty difficult for a UI change to bugger that workflow up.

I actually don't get where the discontent is coming from. For once, Apple aren't pushing a new phone or tablet in people's faces, they are putting quad core i7s in laptops, bring in standardised external PCIe and giving some much needed attention to professional apps and not iApps. To me, these developments show there's still a desire at the company to provide powerful tools to high-end users. I'd say there's definitely a bridging between consumer and professional lines at Apple but remember when smartphones used to be owned exclusively by suit-wearing corporate types?

It's not always a bad thing. Pros are shooting TV shows on DSLRs, does that make them a bunch of know-nothing kids? Of course not, people use the tools they feel are right for the job and it's up to the software makers to play along.
  • Reply 146 of 159
    "Someone used Final Cut X to make this awesome timelaspe"

The software interface CLEARLY says "iMovie". Also, one wouldn't need anything more powerful than iMovie to do this simple time lapse video.
  • Reply 147 of 159
    "The concerns seem to include..."

Thank you so much for this! There have been way too many people judging this product based on a brief demo; people who seem to miss the fact that if they don't want to keep up with our changing technologies they have entered the wrong field of work. Many of these people, with little or no posted data to back up their convictions, hate Apple to begin with, so it doesn't even matter what's included in Final Cut Pro X, they will not be open to it. Ironically, these same people accuse Apple of not being "open". Funny. And sad.
  • Reply 148 of 159
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

What concerns you?

You've been here a while so you've obviously not just registered to troll. I'm curious to know what is actually concerning pros who actually use this stuff. I don't use the stuff so I don't know.

I do think that a 'good' update to FCP would show a commitment to pro apps and a weak update would be a cause for concern. How Apple ultimately treat the pro apps will say something of the direction of Apple.

I'm also interested in how GCD and OCL perform. FCP could be a sort of demo of these technologies and should show off their potential.
  • Reply 149 of 159
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I actually don't get where the discontent is coming from. For once, Apple aren't pushing a new phone or tablet in people's faces, they are putting quad core i7s in laptops, bring in standardised external PCIe and giving some much needed attention to professional apps and not iApps. To me, these developments show there's still a desire at the company to provide powerful tools to high-end users. I'd say there's definitely a bridging between consumer and professional lines at Apple but remember when smartphones used to be owned exclusively by suit-wearing corporate types?

It's not always a bad thing. Pros are shooting TV shows on DSLRs, does that make them a bunch of know-nothing kids? Of course not, people use the tools they feel are right for the job and it's up to the software makers to play along.

Judging from what I've seen around the web, I'd say the discontent is coming largely from people who have never used FCP, have little to no knowledge of professional editing, and are simply eager to shit on news from Apple.

The whole "iMovie Pro" thing is a case in point. It appears to based on nothing more than a few blurry phonecam shots from the presentation which show the changed layout of the clipbin. Really, that's it.

Watching the video makes it abundantly clear that this is a heavy duty pro app, that the changes Apple has made have in been in direct response to the shortcomings of the older software, and that they've thought long and hard about how to streamline workflows for pro editors. Sure, there's some automation of common tasks on ingest, but they can be toggled off and they're hardly designed to make FCP more of a consumer friendly app.

There may be real issues, but that we'll have to wait and see about that. As it stands, the borderline nonsensical bitching is just a carryover from the new Android heavy Apple bashing environment of the internet.
  • Reply 150 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Nvidia would disagree that SLI is only good for gaming.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_sli.html

Another argument I see is that "Macs don't need SLI because the Quadro is a professional card." Well, if 1 Quadro card is so "professional", wouldn't 2 or more working in parallel be even more "professional"?

None of which has anything to do with FCP. I realize your entire reason for posting here is to figure out some angle that you imagine puts Apple in a bad light, but you're just openly trolling.
  • Reply 151 of 159
    There were 1,700 PROFESSIONAL Final Cut Pro users at the NAB conference on Tuesday. Each and every demoed feature of the new Final Cut Pro X received (from what I could tell from the videos) universal applause. Had these features not been received well there would have been groaning from the audience. Many professional editors are understandably nervous, perhaps hesitant, because we just don't know the full feature set quite yet, and because every major update requires a bit of relearning. But this community has gone from film to video to digital video to HD video (film to tape to memory card) in less than twenty years. These are generally not people who are afraid of change, or of new challenges. And they certainly don't shy away from tools that make their jobs easier, especially those things that allow them more time to make creative decisions.

I think that any decent video editor (or color-corrector, or motion graphic artist, etc.) that was considering using Apple's products at all is going to wait for the actual product release first, and then make a truly informed decision on whether or not to go with Final Cut Pro X. They're going to use whatever tools work best for them. Those who prefer Avid will likely stick with Avid. There is nothing wrong with this. Those who have been using Final Cut Studio may well make the move to FCP X, but they don't have to hate Avid users, or Premiere users, because of their own personal preferences. And most of them don't. I don't know of any digital artists who hate filmmakers who still shoot with film. There will always be the "film snobs" who think the latest digital tools make the process too easy, just as there will always be musicians who think that music made using a computer (as an instrument) is "cheating". There was once a time when people scoffed at the idea of adding sound to motion pictures. I'll push this further: there was once a time when people scoffed at the idea of women being allowed to vote, or "blacks" being given equal rights. But that attitude didn't stop the world from changing into a better place.

Final Cut Pro X is not going to change the world. But it IS another set of tools available (soon) that someone is going to use to change the world in their own way. This person may not have the resources to work with an Avid system. Perhaps they scrapped up enough cash to get an Apple computer, because they knew they finally had access to tools that they could use to tell their story, something they could have never afforded to do before.

But in the end, it's just a piece of software. And we don't know much about it yet. So I don't know... quit your bitching and use something else if you don't like it. If you do like it, then use it and make something significant.
  • Reply 152 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by humanifestation1 View Post

There were 1,700 PROFESSIONAL Final Cut Pro users at the NAB conference on Tuesday. Each and every demoed feature of the new Final Cut Pro X received (from what I could tell from the videos) universal applause.

I would go a little further than just "applause", from what I could see they were more or less losing their shit. In particular background rendering, magnetic timelines, auto waveform syncing, sample accurate audio editing, pitch corrected audio scrubbing, one click clip to clip color matching, and the various timeline enabled clip management and bundling caused something like champagne corks being popped.

The crowd was more guarded about the automated ingest processes and metadata tagging, I think those kinds of things are a real "have to use it in the work flow to evaluate" sort of thing. But anyone can see something like the magnetic timeline is a huge time saver.
  • Reply 153 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I would go a little further than just "applause", from what I could see they were more or less losing their shit. In particular background rendering, magnetic timelines, auto waveform syncing, sample accurate audio editing, pitch corrected audio scrubbing, one click clip to clip color matching, and the various timeline enabled clip management and bundling caused something like champagne corks being popped.

The crowd was more guarded about the automated ingest processes and metadata tagging, I think those kinds of things are a real "have to use it in the work flow to evaluate" sort of thing. But anyone can see something like the magnetic timeline is a huge time saver.

"Losing their shit" is probably more like it. But I didn't want to push it too much... needless to say, I am very excited to see the final product. I lost some shit when I watched the video. Had to clean my office chair afterwards.
  • Reply 154 of 159
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

None of which has anything to do with FCP. I realize your entire reason for posting here is to figure out some angle that you imagine puts Apple in a bad light, but you're just openly trolling.

Go back and read what I was originally replying to. If someone says "With GCD it leverages all available cores, and with OpenCL all the GPGPU streams/cores available to throw at it", then it is perfectly reasonable to ask whether that includes multiple graphics cards installed in the same system.
  • Reply 155 of 159
    frivfriv Posts: 1member
    Thanks for giving me the useful information. I think I need it. Thank you
  • Reply 156 of 159
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Same impression. Last time I remember hearing an audience that enthusiastic was back in 1977 when I saw Star Wars for the very first time.
  • Reply 157 of 159
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Same impression. Last time I remember hearing an audience that enthusiastic was back in 1977 when I saw Star Wars for the very first time.

One can only hope that the new Final Cut Pro X delivers as well as that first "Star Wars" did. And perhaps Steve Jobs will acquire all of the licensing rights, as George Lucas did, so then I can have FCP X sheets on my bed and FCP X breakfast cereal too!
  • Reply 158 of 159
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by humanifestation1 View Post

One can only hope that the new Final Cut Pro X delivers as well as that first "Star Wars" did. And perhaps Steve Jobs will acquire all of the licensing rights, as George Lucas did, so then I can have FCP X sheets on my bed and FCP X breakfast cereal too!