Eating dogs

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I read some article today in an old issue of Newsweek about Koreans eating dogs and how disgusting it was and how badly the dogs were treated. All I could think of all throughout the article was if the guy that wrote it sat down that night and had steak for dinner?

I mean, I couldn´t think of eating a dog but if people like it and they want to, I see no difference between eating a dog or a pig.

Discuss...(please)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    "A dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way." - Jules Winnfield
  • Reply 2 of 22
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Sheeps are smarter than dogs. They can recognize more faces (both of their own species and of people) than dogs.

Pigs share more genes with man than dogs. And allowed to live more on their own terms than the large majority of farmers let them its a very social and curious animal.

There is no natural distinction between what animals people "should" be eating and if animal cruilty is the issue consider the egg factories:

IRMC
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Double post... doh and doh again

[ 06-25-2002: Message edited by: Hassan i-Sabbah ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 22
    A good day for British chickens today: Ministry of Farms and Fisheries (or whatever its called these days) declared battery farms like the above illegal.

Oh, and the thread: I never understood what the fuss was all about either. Dogs, zebra, ant larvae, horse, fruit flies... one man's steak tartar is another man's fermented penguin pickled in piss (Scandinavian delicacy apparently).

I'm not a big fan of dogs so I suppose that's why I have no problem with the idea of their consumption. If I were really into penguins I might say "Rah, those Scandies are sick."

But penguins? Fück 'em.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    All of a sudden i'm craving a Porterhouse.
  • Reply 6 of 22
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    and all of a sudden i'm not...
  • Reply 7 of 22
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    "Life feeds on life." -- Keenan Maynard
  • Reply 8 of 22
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    It's just a matter of different cultures eating different foods.

Dogs in many countries aren't treated like they are here. They worship cattle much more than a lousy useless mutt.

Frankly, I don't have a problem with eating dogs. Heck half the time you don't really know what friggin' meat you're eating at McDonalds anyways.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    mmmm...Sewer Rat....
  • Reply 10 of 22
    digixdigix Posts: 109member
    There's nothing wrong of eating a dog. Though do isn't exactly the best animal to be consumed for food, in comparison between animal like cattle, chicken, and fish for their meats.

That's why for years, people prefer to eat cattle, chicken, fish, and other animals that have more meat in them (including insect).

And dogs are usually used for watchers and guardians. Like for guarding sheeps, or to act as an alarm in front of the house.

Though there's always a case where dogs are eaten.

In the route to the South Pole, Amundsen I think uses his team's dogs as both animals to pull the team's sleds and as a source of food.

But in Amundsen's case, it seems that the dogs were only consumed because it's necessary and it's a tactical advantage in that kind of place.

He and the rest of the team probably would eat something better if there's one though. But eating dogs are probably the best thing to do in his mission to the South Pole, that's why he planned to eat his ?tractors? since the very beginning (it's part of his plan to reach the South Pole).

Though there always someone who had the favourite habit of eating dogs.

Just don't try to eat someone's dog without his/her permission.

Anyway. What should we do is... pay attention on from where the stuff we ate came from, and how those stuff were get. As the world become more and more industrialized, people sometimes eat stuff that even they don't know where their food came from.

Soylent Green anyone?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    You shouldn't eat carnivorous mammals. That's how you git dem worms.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Theres a huge difference. Dogs love humans-other animals don't. Eating dogs is disgusting...................
  • Reply 13 of 22
    Dogs are considered very dirty animals in other parts of the world. Even pigs don't eat their own **** . For that reason, maybe eating dogs is a bad idea.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>Dogs love humans-other animals don't. Eating dogs is disgusting...................</strong><hr></blockquote>

Love? Maybe affection but not love.

Many animals understand affection...in fact probably all mammals.

Yes, kinda of disgusting if you've grown up watching Lassie and Old Yeller.

But not if you live in a completely different culture. The world is greater than just North America and Europe.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    By the way, my sister's pit bull is named Satchmo. No offense of course. Very nice dog, but he has the jowls of Louis Armstrong and he eats everything on the ground (satchel mouth).

PS: My apologies for being Mr. Random in every thread tonight. It's therapeutic I guess.
  • Reply 16 of 22
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    As a dog owner ( all my life ) I do find the idea of consuming dogs distasteful ( no pun intended ).

Although this is practiced in many cultures.

They may not be the the most intelligent mammal but they are among the most intelligent. Intellegence is relative to the animal's abilities. For example dolphins are more intelligent than man but couldn't develope it due to a lack of opposible thumbs. They do have more potential for intellegence they just didn't have the physical ability.

The special relationship between man and dogs goes back about 12,000 years.

They are smart, loving, and a great companion.

They are aware of much more than people give them credit for.

Anyone who believes that they are " just a dog " should be shot at sunrise.

They give unconditional love. Yes, I said love not just affection. There are many kinds of love. They add so much to your life in a way you couldn't find anywhere else.

They are truely " Man's best friend ".

[ 06-27-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 22
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    &gt;Yes, kinda of disgusting if you've grown up watching Lassie and Old Yeller.

But not if you live in a completely different culture. The world is greater than just North America and Europe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its still wrong. That part of their culture is wrong, just as there are parts of our culture are wrong. You don't kill and eat Mans Best Friend......................
  • Reply 18 of 22
    bluejekyllbluejekyll Posts: 103member
    Many farm children have a problem coming to grips with the death of pigs, cattle, chicken, or any other animal they become attached to. My point is that it's all a matter of perspective. If you hang around pigs long enough you may grow to like them enough to not want to eat them.

Vegetarianism is obviously the only logical solution, but I can't give up eating meat. I have tried, but I just get these unbelievable cravings. Perhaps it's an addiction of sorts. But reguardless, based on my relationship with dogs, I would most likely never eat one; you can never discount the possibility that you may be starving to death and need to eat...
  • Reply 19 of 22
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>Its still wrong. That part of their culture is wrong, just as there are parts of our culture are wrong. You don't kill and eat Mans Best Friend......................</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you. Again, you're thinking only from the Western world's point of view.

It's man's best friend here, but not in other lands. There are different value systems and no doubt different laws.

I also believe the dog you know and love here is quite different than the dog you know in the Phillipines. Much of a dog's behaviour is learned by it's environment and how it is treated.

Don't get me wrong, I'd never eat a dog, but I don't see it doing it ethically wrong.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    I've got a news flash for those of you who think a dog is a dirty animal. Most studies have shown there is a common mammal that has far more bacteria and potential for disease in their mouths.

Guess who?

Dogs usually have a strict diet while humans eat anything because our bodies can take it. That's why there's a whole list of things dogs can't eat without bad results that humans take in stride. That's the facts like it or not.

So the next time that little puppy wants to give your face a lick you might think, " well it's better than a human ".

About the different value system in other countries. I have a lot of respect for other cultures but, just because you come from somewhere else than the USA doesn't mean you can't be wrong.

I've talked to other people who have never owned a dog and really don't understand. When I hear the lack of compassion I just want to knock them into the middle of next week!

If you can't muster compassion for a loving, loyal animal like a dog how can you ever have it for a human? Dogs who are lost have been known to travel hundreds of miles to be reunited with their master. That's love not just affection.

[ 06-28-2002: Message edited by: jimmac ]</p>