Lower-than-expected Xoom sales prompt Apple iPad competitors to delay tablets

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A slow start for the Motorola Xoom tablet has reportedly convinced manufacturers to delay the release of Android 3.0 Honeycomb-based tablets as they hope to compete with Apple's iPad.

Citing sources in Taiwan, DigiTimes reported Friday that Google has been "unable to offer sufficient support" for its partners with regards to Android 3.0. Issues with the tablet-centric mobile operating system have allegedly forced manufacturers to delay the launch of Honeycomb-powered devices.

Specifically, Asustek Computer is said to have postponed the launch dates of its Eee Pad Transformer tablets to the end of April and to May. Originally, they were supposed to launch on April 15.

And HTC is also said to have postponed the volume production date for its Flyer tablets. That device is set to launch in the second quarter of 2011.

Manufacturers have reportedly become wary of releasing devices running Android 3.0 Honeycomb following the launch of the Motorola Xoom, which is said to have had "lower than expected" sales. Problems cited by sources in Taiwan include "brand image, pricing, insufficient applications and the unstable performance of Android 3.0."

In addition, manufacturers are said to be concerned over the shortage of key components following the earthquake and tsunami disaster in Japan. Apple is said to have taken a proactive approach to the crisis, offering upfront cash payments to suppliers to secure components for devices like the in-demand iPad 2.

Motorola has not announced official sales figures for the Xoom, released in February, but one estimate earlier this month pegged total sales at just 100,000 units. Apple has not yet announced iPad 2 sales figures, but the first-generation iPad reached 1 million sales in less than a month when it debuted in the U.S. in 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 102
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Could this be because Google did not get a early preview of the iPad the way they got an early preview of the iPhone?
  • Reply 2 of 102
    its all about the ecosystem.
  • Reply 3 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Could this be because Google did not get a early preview of the iPad the way they got an early preview of the iPhone?

Yahtzee
  • Reply 4 of 102
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Quote:

Possibly.
  • Reply 5 of 102
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Not really

Apple invested a lot of effort (and money) in many years (since Newton) in the iPad. The success is earned by hard work and dedication. It didn't become a success overnight. Rumor had it that the iPad was ready for market before the iPhone, although the latter was publicized first.

Competitors will have to work hard to deserve a slice of the tablet market. So far, I feel that they haven't done enough homework ...
  • Reply 6 of 102
    Xoom rhymes with Zune
  • Reply 7 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    That’s too bad, Asus had the best tablets I’d seen at CES. They also make the best netbooks with good displays and long battery life. They were the only other company I saw using IPS across the entire range.
  • Reply 8 of 102
    This is strange. In spite of the great reviews of Xoom by anti Apple bloggers.
  • Reply 9 of 102
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Richr1951 View Post

Xoom rhymes with Zune

It is true. Failure loves company.
  • Reply 10 of 102
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Let's not beat about the bush here. There is a Market of tens of millions of users here. Unfortunately for google these users want an 'i' device.

Like it or not (the trolls don't, but hey, THEY are the minority) the masses want Apple, the ecosystem, no fuss no mess tablet.

Google are finally "getting it", they have locked down 3.0 going forward and want to vet the front ends to make sure the experience is universal. Android NEEDS to be like iOS and Windows mobile to gain real traction. You need to assure your customers and developers that your device WILL be updated at the same time. How confident can you be in buying a samsung tablet that an update may or may not come in it's cycle lifetime? Potentially leaving you unable to run current applications. It's not a good place to be in.
  • Reply 11 of 102
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

Not really

Apple invested a lot of effort (and money) in many years (since Newton) in the iPad. The success is earned by hard work and dedication. It didn't become a success overnight. Rumor had it that the iPad was ready for market before the iPhone, although the latter was publicized first.

So they sat on a completed, fully ready product for 4 years?

No.

They worked on the iPad concept and technology but it was not "ready for market".
  • Reply 12 of 102
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    That's what happens when you rush a product to market.
  • Reply 13 of 102
    Quote:

Xoom rhymes with Zune

And Loon and Doom too.
  • Reply 14 of 102
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    All I can say is: serves them right. I've been saying all along since the iPad 1 started to catch steam that the creativity and innovation of all these wannabe tablets has been abysmal. Nobody seemed to get anything about the iPad success and all they could come up with was to throw some hardware together, slap Android on it, then sit back hoping for sales. First they tried it with Android 2.x, which was horrible, but they still haven't learned much from it except that cheap-ass hardware isn't going to work. But the Motorola's, LG's and Samsungs are still relying too much on Google to help them out with the software, hoping they don't have to invest in it themselves. This is not going to work, because all their direct competitors show exactly the same lack of inspiration, which means whatever they throw onto the market will be mostly generic, and competing only on price, which none of the Android Honeycomb tablets seem to get right anyway. Add to that the observation that Google appears to have lost track of their own Android roadmap and now seems to be handing out unfinished beta software to their 'valued partners' and you can imagine that the whole Android tablet market is getting really sour.

I've been reading a lot of the Playbook reviews, and even though it looks like it is half-baked just like Honeycomb, and even though it doesn't look like RIM has any idea which way they want to go with it, or why they even have a tablet in the first place, I have to admit that the OS, UI and the thought put into that thing to make it stand out from the rest, at least shows some potential and character. I don't like RIM and I don't think the Playbook will be a huge success, but I have to applaud RIM for trying to be original, and trying to stand out from the generic mess that is called Android.

Maybe HP will get it right. I'm really starting to hope they will, because it would be a big shame if everyone keeps failing like this, leaving the market to just iOS (which has a plan and a vision behind it) and Android (which is just a cheap tool for manufacturers and a vehicle for delivering more ads for Google)
  • Reply 15 of 102
    Quote:

Eric Schmidt sat on Apple's board when the iPhone was in early development, so, He was able to steal it while it was happening, I'm not sure why Apple has not sued the pants off him for that. Now that Google wasn't on the Apple Board.....well.......ya get ...Honeycomb in all its glory. With all the Tablet manufactures putting their eggs in one basket, so to speak, they all get to fail together.
  • Reply 16 of 102
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Apple cannot patent the idea only the code a UI methodology. Google did not use any of Apple's code or directly use the iPhone's UI.

From the way it sounds getting an early peek at the iPhone gave Google a road map with where to go with Android development.

Now with the tablet space they have no direct access to Apple's ideas and have to develop it all on their own.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraBuggy View Post

Eric Schmidt sat on Apple's board when the iPhone was in early development, so, He was able to steal it while it was happening, I'm not sure why Apple has not sued the pants off him for that.

• Reply 17 of 102
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post

Not really

Competitors will have to work hard to deserve a slice of the tablet market. So far, I feel that they haven't done enough homework ...

iOS was originally conceived as a tablet operating system. Apple later came to the conclusion that it would work as a smartphone OS, plus a phone would be easier to bring to market.

A thousand dollar tablet would not fly; Apple had to wait until the conditions were right: specifically the App Store ecosystem and COGS.
  • Reply 18 of 102
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

Actually, I think it's all about the price. Without telco subsidy, competitors can't compete with Apple on price. When you can't be profitable at a lower price point than the brand that has a premium image, 9 out of 10 you will have a market failure on your hand.
  • Reply 19 of 102
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Xoom rhymes with Zune

And is pretty much synonomous with 'exhume'.
  • Reply 20 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

That's what happens when you rush a product to market.

Obviously.