Apple issues update for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Preview 2

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Friday released an update for its second developer preview of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, the forthcoming operating system update set to publicly arrive this summer.

Apple notified developers on Friday that the update for Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Preview 2 is now available. It is an update for developer preview 2, and is not a full-fledged Lion Preview 3.

The update can be obtained by running Software Update in the developer preview of Lion. Developers must also download Xcode 4.1 Developer Preview 3 available from the Mac Dev Center in order to build applications with the latest version of Lion.

Those who have not yet downloaded the second developer preview of Lion and Lion Server can get a redemption code from the Mac Dev Center. From there, they can download the preview of Lion from the Mac App Store.

Apple did not offer a list of changes with the latest version of preview 2. However, any updates are likely minor fixes as the update is not labeled preview 3.

Lion Preview 2 was released to developers in late March. Though the final release of Lion is inching closer, that developer build shipped with a number of known issues including problems with the new high-speed Thunderbolt port, and playback of video content from the iTunes Store.

Apple will highlight more features of Lion at its forthcoming Worldwide Developers Conference, to be held June 6 through 10 in San Francisco, Calif. There, the company has promised to "unveil the future of iOS and Mac OS." Lion is set for release this summer.

For an in-depth look at Apple's next major operating system update, see AppleInsider's ongoing series, Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    I suspect the next full seed to go out to developers will be a RC build. Here's to hoping GM at WWDC!
  • Reply 2 of 35
    I hope for a GM seed too.

Does anyone know if this update works for non-devs or it breaks the current install? Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I suspect the next full seed to go out to developers will be a RC build. Here's to hoping GM at WWDC!

I highly doubt it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phreakazoid View Post

I hope for a GM seed too.

Does anyone know if this update works for non-devs or it breaks the current install? Thanks!

Pay $99 or go away.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Thank you for your answer.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I highly doubt it.

Well wasn't there rumor that Apple was already at RC status internally and that the GM would ship by WWDC?
  • Reply 6 of 35
    johnnykrzjohnnykrz Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Well wasn't there rumor that Apple was already at RC status internally and that the GM would ship by WWDC?

While Lion runs really well, and I haven't installed the update yet, I wouldn't say that it is anywhere near RC status. Maybe this update will help, but definitely not ready.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

While Lion runs really well, and I haven't installed the update yet, I wouldn't say that it is anywhere near RC status. Maybe this update will help, but definitely not ready.

Well keep in mind that internally they are many many builds ahead of Preview 2.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    I wonder why those with the first Pre-release version can't simply update to version 2 through os x software update.

Downloading the version 2 preview version seems

A tad backwards when it could simply apply a patch.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    You can update with a non-dev version without any trouble
  • Reply 10 of 35
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I wonder why those with the first Pre-release version can't simply update to version 2 through os x software update.

Downloading the version 2 preview version seems

A tad backwards when it could simply apply a patch.

There are a large number of changes over a very large array of places. This is one reason. Also, you then don't need to waste time writting an updater, instead the changes will be automatically applied when the OS installs in a normal run.

Also it turns down people from using lion as their primary machines.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Also it turns down people from using lion as their primary machines.

Common sense should already tell them. It'd be stupid to use a prerelease as primary system.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    The only "new" thing I can find is you can now delete apps from Launchpad like you can on iOS.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    or are we still gonna use ant sized fonts on the menu bar on the 27"?

It would be an understatement to say that this is merely missing from os x.

Come on guys, bring on resolution independence, or at least that hybrid for high res screens apple was supposed to be considering. It's a must guys.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

The only "new" thing I can find is you can now delete apps from Launchpad like you can on iOS.

Hold until they shake?
  • Reply 15 of 35
    n42n42 Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Common sense should already tell them. It'd be stupid to use a prerelease as primary system.

I'm doing it. Honestly isn't a really big deal. Since I store my entire home folder on Dropbox it's a simple process to revert to Snow Leopard.

I mean, it's buggy, but I deal with it. Not gonna get pissy if my prerelease system isn't running perfectly. Personally the improvements are worth dealing with the rough patches.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n42 View Post

I'm doing it. Honestly isn't a really big deal. Since I store my entire home folder on Dropbox it's a simple process to revert to Snow Leopard.

I mean, it's buggy, but I deal with it. Not gonna get pissy if my prerelease system isn't running perfectly. Personally the improvements are worth dealing with the rough patches.

Why wouldn't you simply use a separate volume to boot Lion?
  • Reply 17 of 35
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Because that just isn't hardcore.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

or are we still gonna use ant sized fonts on the menu bar on the 27"?

It would be an understatement to say that this is merely missing from os x.

Come on guys, bring on resolution independence, or at least that hybrid for high res screens apple was supposed to be considering. It's a must guys.

Any news on IPS panel developers with the ability to support up to 600 ppi panels so we can have our text scale up and down as our applications and OS request it?

I want all my objects, on-screen to be true vectors where the system renders them as bitmaps at various levels for fonts, cursor icons, application icons, file type icons, menu bars, etc., and to make the default export at for an object to be 326ppi so I don't lose any detail and crispness on the iPhone, but I doubt that will just happen.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    n42n42 Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Space, really. All my music, videos, etc are in my home folder. I don't want to deal with my stuff being on another partition. I like having one partition. Plus, it forces me to use it. If I had Snow Leopard installed I'd probably not have spent as much time in Lion figuring out what's new.

I also just hate dual booting.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

any news on resolution independence yet? or are we still gonna use ant sized fonts on the menu bar on the 27"?

I agree. Screen resolutions have gotten silly and text sizes have become microscopic. I've been hoping for this since the days of... Tiger? Panther?