Apple launches new Support Communities social online forums

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

What's a "phone book"?

It's an expensively modified tree for holding up the corner of your work bench.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Only if you gave them permission to put it there.

You actually have to pay them to have it unlisted.

Quote:

What's a "phone book"?

http://www.whitepages.com/
  • Reply 23 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Ireland, do you realize you have more posts than Kasper's Automated Slave, and it joined nearly ten years earlier than you...

That's awesome, simply awesome

Cool.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member

I would prefer it if they fixed bugs, made features easy to use and discover and wrote lots of documentation.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

The interface is certainly very web 2.0 or is it 3.0! I like it. Now give us the wysiwig tools to create sites liie this will ya Apple!

I wonder what Java server they are using. I have not been keeping track lately after Sun was acquired by Oracle. There are so many variants with Apache, Jakarta, Tomcat, Harmony etc. We can be pretty sure they aren't using Domino. But I find it significant that they finally settled on jsp rather than webobjects, php or Rails, perl, or python. This should be the sign of things to come with the new data center soon to go live.

But there are certainly no wysiwyg interfaces to my knowledge for jsp.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

*gasp*, it's also in the phone book!

Phone book? How quaint. Most people I know haven't used a phone book in years, let alone been listed in one.

I don't have much good to say about Apple's forums. Many important questions go unanswered, and many answers contain opinions that are downright wrong and occasionally even dangerous. Rarely, if ever, are any corrected by anybody in the know at Apple. It's mostly a giant waste of time and horribly frustrating at best. I just can't see how this format change will improve anything.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    areseearesee Posts: 776member
    I don't like the changes.

Due to a hard drive failure in an older intel iMac I had to reload OS 10.6 and had a problem with 802.11n not connecting. (802.11g would connect.) Went to the discussion groups like before to see what other people had tried. But the search with the best responses ("imac wifi not connected") came back with a flood of iPad and iPhone responses. I eventually found under Search Options an ability to limit my search to iMac(Intel) but I got an error message saying that I did not have proper privileges to view the results and to contact my administrator. WTF, who is my administrator?
  • Reply 28 of 45
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

*gasp*, it's also in the phone book!

Nope. Maybe yours is, but mine's not.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    I'd attach a screenshot of what it looks like... but I'm not "permitted"...

So, off to MacRumors.

Bye
  • Reply 30 of 45
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aresee View Post

Went to the discussion groups like before to see what other people had tried. But the search with the best responses ("imac wifi not connected") came back with a flood of iPad and iPhone responses. I eventually found under Search Options an ability to limit my search to iMac(Intel)

I never found the search that great, you could not search for strings (as in "raw files"), you still cannot. Well, officially you can but it simply does not work, it returns also the results for individual terms which is pretty much beside the point.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    My preferences were set as was posted earlier. Phone, home address and such were set to Everyone. Fortunately, they were blank. I have corrected this "oversight" on apples part. \
  • Reply 32 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Phone book? How quaint. Most people I know haven't used a phone book in years, let alone been listed in one.

I don't have much good to say about Apple's forums. Many important questions go unanswered, and many answers contain opinions that are downright wrong and occasionally even dangerous. Rarely, if ever, are any corrected by anybody in the know at Apple. It's mostly a giant waste of time and horribly frustrating at best. I just can't see how this format change will improve anything.

Apple deleted a thread I started because I wanted to know how to connect a netbook to my Mac Book so I could use the CD/DVD drive. Some of the conversation mentioned using OSX on the netbook. I think it was very petty of Apple to do that. I had no intentions of using OSX on the netbook. I needed the Windows OS to run some specific programs. It was also going to be my spare computer.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by estyle View Post

Ireland, do you realize you have more posts than Kasper's Automated Slave, and it joined nearly ten years earlier than you...

That's awesome, simply awesome

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Cool.

He was once the heart and soul of AppleInsider... Now he's just a bitter and twisted old man.

Heh, still love ya, Ireland. We had some good times, didn't we.

Though some of the memories, like of my past, now washed away like river stone.

Ireland was part of some of the big discussions before AppleInsider exploded with iPhone and iPad topics. When the Mac and fighting the PC was what "Mac users" were about, not "I have 20 Macs and I am a Mac user but I hate Apple because etc etc etc". Before everyone and their dog started buying up iPhones and iPads, there was a time when the Mac was actually quaint and not "mainstream" like the iPhone and iPad... Yea, that was just a few years ago.

Now we have Lion with all sorts of foofarah cobbled together to make it more iOS-like.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 8CoreWhore View Post

I'd attach a screenshot of what it looks like... but I'm not "permitted"...

So, off to MacRumors.

Bye

Huh? On AppleInsider you have to use an image hosting website then just embed the image in your post. AFAIK we don't have attachments for this forums. Not a dealbreaker, IMHO.

Good luck wading through the madness that is Macrumors forums. I left it like at least 3 years ago when it became unmanageable.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    Seems the Apple Support Communities site is down. Perhaps they are fixing the privacy settings...
  • Reply 36 of 45
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Seems the Apple Support Communities site is down.

Working fine here.

Quote:

Perhaps they are fixing the privacy settings...

Yes, it is being looked at.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Working fine here.

Yes, it is being looked at.

Still not working for me, unless i browse as a guest. Maybe it's working for people who have already used the service. But when I try to sign in the first time, I get this:

• Reply 38 of 45
    Anyone know what product Apple built their support communities on top of? Or, did they develop this in house?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has gone live with the Apple Support Communities support forum upgrade it announced last year, adding social network features and replacing the Apple Discussions board.

Apple announced the new Support Communities upgrade to its online forums last August on the Apple Discussions board.

"Apple Support Communities brings together thousands of Macintosh, iPod, iPhone, and iPad users from around the world to discuss Apple products and topics," the official introduction read. "Apple Support communities provides a wealth of information about your favorite Apple hardware and software products to help you get the most out of your purchase. And, in the spirit of community, you can also help other Apple Support Communities' users by answering their questions."

As first reported by MacStories, Apple has officially launched its newly redesigned forums, which add a highly social element to the support forums.

Users are encouraged to browse through "communities" to find one focused on the relevant product or topic, then join the discussion by replying or liking posts. Those who don't find the answer they're looking for can easily submit a question to the community.

To join ASC, users simply sign in using their Apple ID, select a username for the Community and then approve the new ASC terms and conditions.

A new "Your View" section with customizable widgets allow for a personalized experience and layout with modular content categories from both outside or inside the community.

The "Your Stuff" section of ASC includes Bookmarks, Discussions, Documents, Communities and Notifications, as well as a Preference and Profile.

The ASC user interface takes inspiration from the iPad and iOS, with frequent use of popover menus and overlays.

ASC members can customize their profiles with photos and avatars, which include iconic Apple products such as the original iMac, clamshell iBook and first-generation iPod.

Apple has outlined a "Community Etiquette" policy for ASC:

Post only technical support questions and answers, unless otherwise noted.

Be polite, constructive and stay on topic.

Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community.

Reward helpful community members by marking answers to your questions helpful and correct.

Avoid speculation and rumors.

Users who submit helpful and correct responses will continue to receive reputation points, which contribute to an increase in status level, thereby unlocking greater privileges, though it's not immediately clear what those privileges entail.

Apple has been systematically revamping the support section of its website. In January, the company added a Support Profile site that allows users to track repair and support activities for their products.

• Reply 39 of 45
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

My preferences were set as was posted earlier. Phone, home address and such were set to Everyone. Fortunately, they were blank. I have corrected this "oversight" on apples part. \

Exactly. The potential danger in my mind being that Apple has all that information which could easily be pulled from their other systems -- at some later point -- without my knowledge.

Frankly, it makes me rethink using the same email address for my Apple transactions. My Apple ID is used for all-things-iTunes, all online orders, emailed receipts from the local Apple Store, and probably a few other places that don't come to mind off the top of my head...
  • Reply 40 of 45
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Exactly. The potential danger in my mind being that Apple has all that information which could easily be pulled from their other systems -- at some later point -- without my knowledge.

Frankly, it makes me rethink using the same email address for my Apple transactions. My Apple ID is used for all-things-iTunes, all online orders, emailed receipts from the local Apple Store, and probably a few other places that don't come to mind off the top of my head...

The Discussions and iTunes are two completely different accounts. I don't think apple would try to match them up, however having your email address display by default would be wrong. I set everything on mine as private as soon as I read about the issue. I don't remember if the email was displaying by default or not. The only other personal data I had in there was my state.

Apple doesn't do 'social' very well do they?