Mass production of Apple's A5-, Qualcomm-powered iPhone 5 rumored for Sept.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

I wonder what features the iPhone 4 will miss out on with iOS 5 then...I hope it doesn't become painfully slow like the iPhone 3G/Touch 2'nd gen running iOS4.

I don't think a lot. The next iPhone, which I think will be released this summer as usual, will probably have A5, HD FaceTime front camera, HSPA+, and better back camera. The current form will most likely be the same. What is interesting is that Apple usually release iOS x.0 first developers beta around March and early April. It seems to me that Apple is redesigning many aspect of iOS UI with this next major update.
  • Reply 22 of 62
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Man this is all taking so long already, I know you can't take anything these analysts say for truth, but it's slowly starting to look a lot like we're not going to see an iPhone 5 before October, and it's also starting to look like it's going to be more like an iPhone 4S.

If this turns out to be true, and the iPhone 5 is 'just' the iPhone 4 with a faster CPU and a slightly bigger screen, *and* it is not going to be on sale before October, I might just give up on it altogether and stick with my 3GS until the iPhone 6 drops. I'm already stretching my upgrade cycle by 4 months if I have to wait for somewhere in December before I can actually buy the iPhone 5 (EU launch normally trails US by 2 months or something), so if the iPhone 6 might land in June 2012 and will be a bigger upgrade, maybe I should just skip the 5 altogether
  • Reply 23 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The only reason I can think of Apple having such a long delay between an iPhone announcement and its release is because they will introduce a new display size which will require a new SDK and rewritten apps. Other than that it seems unlikely.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

No, but it is important here. The speed difference is huge, and I don't think Apple should wait an additional year to make an LTE phone when Android LTE phones are already starting to ship. I'm thinking iP5 will have an LTE chip in it, but if it doesn't I am going to trade in my iP4 for a Bionic.

I?ll take HSPA+ over LTE.

Which LTE chips will fit in the iPhone?s 4 casing? How will that affect battery life? Your Moto Bionic is a(4.96 in x 2.63 in x 0.52 with a 1930mAh battery but I bet an iPhone will get a much longer battery life.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    "Slight modifications" and a number change (4 to 5) rings hollow to me. It seems inconsistent with past practice. People expect something big as when the iPhone went from 3GS to 4. If the changes are slight I could see a 4.1 or a letter or letters to serve the same function. To trumpet an iPhone 5 with all the attendant publicity for only slight modifications would look pretty lame.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    d-ranged-range Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I don't think a lot. The next iPhone, which I think will be released this summer as usual, will probably have A5, HD FaceTime front camera, HSPA+, and better back camera. The current form will most likely be the same. What is interesting is that Apple usually release iOS x.0 first developers beta around March and early April. It seems to me that Apple is redesigning many aspect of iOS UI with this next major update.

That's what I'm thinking as well. I know last year with iOS 4, the first leaks were already starting to appear around March, with .plists referring to the multitasking and such. Obviously iOS 4 was in the hands of some select developers under extremely strict NDA back then, even before it went public for all registered iOS developers in April. Now, with iOS 5, we're already halfway into April, and there is *no* information *whatsoever* about iOS 5. No leaks, no hints, no speculation, nothing. I sincerely think the only people who know about iOS 5 right now, are people working for Apple. They will start handing out beta's to the most valued iOS developers under NDA before they announce iOS 5 and release a 'public' beta, and that's when we'll see the first leaks, after that they will announce it at WWDC in June, then we'll have the usual 2-3 months of beta's, and in September we'll see a final release, possibly together with the iPhone 5 announcement.

So all this appears to hint at either a longer development cycle, or a much more paranoid secrecy around iOS 5, which to me is a hint iOS 5 will be a major overhaul. At the very least I expect a new notification system.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

"Slight modifications" and a number change (4 to 5) rings hollow to me. It seems inconsistent with past practice. People expect something big as when the iPhone went from 3GS to 4. If the changes are slight I could see a 4.1 or a letter or letters to serve the same function. To trumpet an iPhone 5 with all the attendant publicity for only slight modifications would look pretty lame.

I agree. Slight modifications would lend itself to a 4s moniker. But I hope they do not do this. I want a full-fledged iPhone 5.

Normally I would say that I really doubt Apple would do a complete redesign since the iP4 has been out less than a year. However, I could see Apple going ahead with a redesign this quickly in order to erase the real and perceived antenna issues of the iP4. I think the bad review from Consumer Reports is really eating away at them and they want to eliminate this asap. And, if this redesign is happening, it would certainly explain the launch delay until September/October. They want to make sure to get everything right, so more time is needed than the usual year time frame.

At least this is what I am telling myself. Either way, I need a new phone badly, so let's get this show on the road Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    I'm beginning to think that IF the iPhone 5 is delayed until Fall, it will be tied in to iOS 5 and whatever services that huge datacenter will be providing. Along with rumors of the iPod Classic/Nano getting wifi and that old rumor of an iPad2.5 in the fall, that Apple will be introducing something that will tie everything together in amazing ways... If not, then my track record will be as good as any of these other analysts...
  • Reply 28 of 62
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I don't think Apple will call it 4-anything. Even if the technical changes are minor, they will call it the iPhone 5 for marketing purposes if nothing else. Those of us who are more technically savy will know it's lame, but the vast majority of the sheep, er, I mean people, will believe whatever Apple tells them.

There was really no competition when the 3GS came out, so so letting it appear as an incremental upgrade wasn't a big deal. But if "4" stays in the name this time around it will be harder for Apple's marketing machine to convince us all how magical it is as compared to all the other options that will be available.
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:

No, but it is important here. The speed difference is huge, and I don't think Apple should wait an additional year to make an LTE phone when Android LTE phones are already starting to ship. I'm thinking iP5 will have an LTE chip in it, but if it doesn't I am going to trade in my iP4 for a Bionic.

Great, enjoy your LTE data speeds and your 4 hours of battery life. If the HTC thunderbolt is anything to go by, the initial crop of LTE phonesis mediocre at best. Apple, per usual, won't be including a tech just for the sake of saying they have the latest and greatest if it affects the entire experience. I don't know about you, but a few extra megabits per second of data transfer is not worth the excellent battery life the iPhone 4 gets now to me. Just like they did with 3G, they're going to wait until the chipsets and the networks are mature. I'm guessing iPhone 6 in 2012.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    I stopped reading this article when an iPhone 6 was mentioned.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quicksilverhuh View Post

I certainly hope the Iphone 5 has LTE support. If they just have GSM/CDMA that is not going to cut it

Here in the US there are maybe a dozen places with firm LTE carrier support at the moment, perhaps 3 times that by Sept. But otherwise it is a no go for like 90% of the country. Apple won't include a tech with that lack of support.

The best you can hope for this time around is a single phone with both bands and the software tech to switch between the two companies. Plus perhaps the ATT side being factory 'never locked' at last. Although they will probably put nasty strict buying rules up to stop resellers. Or perhaps they will be locked but you can finally get it unlocked after the first six months of being on contract or some such.

As for the whole WWDC stuff. I say that is true. They will NOT announce the iphone at WWDC. They will be returning that event to the focus it was created for -- their software. But it doesn't mean they won't be announcing it in June. There will be 3 weeks after that where they can host a home media event, post a video on their site etc. Hell they could still do it that week, that opening day even. Just not AT the software event. Randy etc could be at WWDC and Stevie could be on campus with the media to talk about hardware and the bits of iOS that the users will want to know about because it directly effects them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar Saves View Post

I'm beginning to think that IF the iPhone 5 is delayed until Fall, it will be tied in to iOS 5 and whatever services that huge datacenter will be providing.

I disagree. If the iphone 5 is delayed I think it will be due to forces outside of their control. Not iOS 5 and whatever. There is no sacred law that says that the iphone 5 hardware and iOS 5 must release at the same time. Particularly since there's no cost to upgrade software. So Apple can and will release the iphone 5 when they want or when those outer forces make it possible and will release iOS 5 when they want (which will very likely be Sept or later since the developers won't have the deets until WWDC)

Quote:

Along with rumors of the iPod Classic/Nano getting wifi and that old rumor of an iPad2.5 in the fall,

All of which will likely be proven to be as bogus as they sound.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by number9 View Post

Great, enjoy your LTE data speeds and your 4 hours of battery life. If the HTC thunderbolt is anything to go by, the initial crop of LTE phonesis mediocre at best. Apple, per usual, won't be including a tech just for the sake of saying they have the latest and greatest if it affects the entire experience. I don't know about you, but a few extra megabits per second of data transfer is not worth the excellent battery life the iPhone 4 gets now to me. Just like they did with 3G, they're going to wait until the chipsets and the networks are mature. I'm guessing iPhone 6 in 2012.

The battery life would be really interesting to see. You are right - it is not very good in the current crop of 4G phones. My hope is that by the time the new iPhone rolls out there will be a more power-efficient chip so it won't be as bad. The speed difference is significant though. I realize it is not important to everyone, but I've played around with some Thunderbolts and they are incredibly fast. Using the Speedtest app in a few different places I consistently got 24mbps both up and down. By comparison I only get ~7mbps using Comcast.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    Just because some a-hat is reporting about the production ramp up for the holiday quarter, doesn't mean other assembly lines won't already be producing the iPhone 5 for the end of June.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    jroyjroy Posts: 29member
    Quote:

The battery life would be really interesting to see. You are right - it is not very good in the current crop of 4G phones. My hope is that by the time the new iPhone rolls out there will be a more power-efficient chip so it won't be as bad. The speed difference is significant though. I realize it is not important to everyone, but I've played around with some Thunderbolts and they are incredibly fast. Using the Speedtest app in a few different places I consistently got 24mbps both up and down. By comparison I only get ~7mbps using Comcast.

I'm also interested to see what the phone bill would look like at the end of the first month using LTE. It's fast, which means more compelling. Tempted to use it instead of wifi. You're likely to surf more, use lots more data... and be hit with data overage charges.
  • Reply 35 of 62
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Utilizing HSPA+ would be a more beneficial direction for the iPhone 5. Faster speeds and much better battery life.

Current LTE phones have horrid battery life. Its super fast right now because very few people are using it. The more people that use it those speeds will come down.

Quote:

• Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRoy View Post

I'm also interested to see what the phone bill would look like at the end of the first month using LTE. It's fast, which means more compelling. Tempted to use it instead of wifi. You're likely to surf more, use lots more data... and be hit with data overage charges.

Huh? What overages? I'm sure this will change at some point but, with Verizon, you get unlimited data with the LTE smartphone package.
  • Reply 37 of 62
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    AI isn't the only source for the rumor of Apple pushing back the iPhone to September. Others have reported the same rumor. As well as the iPad being pushed to September.

I doubt they will show the iPhone 5 iteself at WWDC. They will definitely preview iOS5.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

1. iPhone 5 won't go into mass production until September.

2. iPhone 5 will be introduced (aka shown off) at WWDC in June.

• Reply 38 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Utilizing HSPA+ would be a more beneficial direction for the iPhone 5. Faster speeds and much better battery life.

Current LTE phones have horrid battery life. Its super fast right now because very few people are using it. The more people that use it those speeds will come down.

But that also leads to issues for Apple. Apple wants the difference between the CDMA-based and GSM-based iPhones to be as minimal as possible. They want the only outward difference to be the carrier (or at least appear that way), but with HSDPA being so much faster than EV-DO despite comparable usage times do they make both LTE capable, or make one CDMA/EV-DO/LTE and one GSM/HSPA+ with potentially huge differences in battery life?

The use of the Qualcomm Gobi chip in the CDMA/EV-DO iPhone may be an indicator that they do plan to move to a single chip in the future, but I do think that it?s a little premature to expect such a massive reduction in size, increase in performance, not to mention the inclusion of LTE in the 2011 model.
  • Reply 39 of 62
    With the iPhone 5 receiving the A5 processor I think Apple is looking at the availability of that processor right now.

Obviously the demand for the A5 for the iPad is huge these days - even Apple's online store has a 2 to 3 week shipping wait.

I just don't see Apple pulling processors from the ipad line just to have the iPhone 5 available for the WWDC. A wait of 2 to 3 months would allow Apple to max out their sales potential for the iPad, followed by a major announcement when the iPhone 5 can ramp up without hurting the iPad.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    ufwaufwa Posts: 64member
    Seriously stop posting from this guy. He probably has ZERO sources.

the ipad 2 stuff he "correctly" predicted. All he did was comb through all the break downs people put out from the betas of 4.3 or so from various blogs then threw out all the far fetched stuff like quad core, 4x resolution etc.

the majority of us figured that stuff out from the get go.

The september rumor, 8 mp camera, same design. Everyone of them the rumors were put out well before this guy "reports" it.

Its obvious they will line up as he seems to be borrowing rumors. I have NEVER seen this guy come out with anything original or beaten anyone else to anything.

The only thing this guy has is a title attached to his name working for some investment firm.