Apple testing new LED backlight maker for iPad 2 supply chain

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple is said to be testing a new LED backlight maker in an effort to expand its supply of components for the still-hard-to-buy iPad 2.

Everlight Electronics has delivered samples of its LED backlight products to Apple, according to China Times (via Google Translate and DigiTimes). Everlight's products are intended for use in tablet-style devices, and it is presumed that Apple is exploring the use of the company's LED backlights for the iPad 2.

Everlight's products were recently sent to Apple for certification, as the Taiwanese company hopes it can break into Apple's supply chain. With one recent report suggesting that iPad 2 shipments in 2011 could reach 45 million, supplying components for Apple's touchscreen tablet is a lucrative opportunity.

Founded in 1983 in Taipei, Taiwan, Everlight's LED-based products have grown it into a global company with over 6,400 employees. The company has been shipping new LED backlights with a brightness of 2,000 millicandelas for use in tablet computers to other Taiwan-based tablet-makers since March.

Immediately after the iPad 2 arrived in the U.S. in March, some customers reported problems with LED backlight "bleeding" on the edges and in the corners of the display. Such defects, where white light "bleeds" onto the screen, are most noticeable when the screen is operational but dark, such as a dark scene in a movie.

But scattered reports of defects have had no major impact on sales, as Apple has struggled to meet demand for its second-generation iPad. In the U.S. and around the world, Apple stores and retail partners have continuously sold out of the iPad 2 while customers continue to form lines in hopes of obtaining a device.

Apple has steadily expanded availability of the iPad 2, launching in new countries and adding new retailers in the U.S., like Toys R Us on Sunday. But component supplies for the iPad 2 reportedly remain constrained, ensuring that demand continues to outstrip supply for the hot-selling device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Is the implication that this new supplier would resolve the bleeding-light issue?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    I don't think any supplier will have defect-free product. Most likely this one will help solve supply issue than anything.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

http://www.everlight.com/

Apple won't use them. Their online product catalog is entirely in Flash.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Apple won't use them. Their online product catalog is entirely in Flash.

that Bro, is one of the best lines I have heard in a long time. Bravo!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    As time goes on, Apple gets more distribution for the iPad in places where you can't actually BUY an iPad. If this doesn't get resolved, people will get too frustrated. If that happens, they may begin to buy other products just so that they can get a tablet?any tablet. Apple has to get them out the door somehow.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    radjinradjin Posts: 165member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As time goes on, Apple gets more distribution for the iPad in places where you can't actually BUY an iPad. If this doesn't get resolved, people will get too frustrated. If that happens, they may begin to buy other products just so that they can get a tablet?any tablet. Apple has to get them out the door somehow.

It's simple, go online and order it. In a few weeks you will have it.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As time goes on, Apple gets more distribution for the iPad in places where you can't actually BUY an iPad. If this doesn't get resolved, people will get too frustrated. If that happens, they may begin to buy other products just so that they can get a tablet—any tablet. Apple has to get them out the door somehow.

That is a very astute observation. And it goes back to my theme for this year, about the lack of cohesiveness at Apple with Steve unwell/recovering. The marketing and distribution side is pushing hard and wide but supply seems to be lagging still.

There are some niggles I have eg. backlight, Photos app lagginess, low-quality cameras... but overall it does feel like a really nice tablet, and I am just thankful I have any kind of iPad 2 at all, working alright... even though I paid a premium to get it from the local grey market.

Garageband for iPad is a very impressive app and there is a wide range of good iPad apps now.

Occasionally these apps somehow show strange bugs with some updates but overall we are in a situation where iPad demand is on the verge of being irrational. There are now too many things and too many apps for any one person to ever be able to go through in a year even if they spent hours a day with their iPad 2. Which is also its appeal, it's something so new and so fresh, maybe indeed a post-PC device but certainly a non-PC device.

It's like the best parts of the iPod, iPhone and Mac combined into one. Media enjoyment, media creation, learning, eBooks, discovering something new each day like it used to be with the Mac... I could go on and on.

I only got a 16GB WiFi White due to availability and because 3G is poor where I am. I wanted a 32GB WiFi Black but my friend put my deposit at a kind of Best Buy in Australia and after three weeks there was still no stock arriving.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Radjin View Post

It's simple, go online and order it. In a few weeks you will have it.

Those few weeks are quite frustrating for a lot of people. I know, it's just a gadget, hence the growing irrationality of the situation.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    No biggie, but I just got hung up on this.

You know 2,000 millicandelas = 2 candelas, right? Why even say millicandelas?