Intel will support USB 3.0 alongside 'complimentary' Thunderbolt

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bagman View Post

OMG!! And I've been using 300 baud all this time on my BBS! Guess I'll have to upgrade my dial-up connection.

Dial up no! However just about every barcode reader, barcode printer, servo controller, many PLCs and the like, communicate at that speed By default. thankfully the days of 9600 baud BBSs are gone, legacy hardware stays around forever.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

I think that Apple's intent is solely to make neater devices with these forked standards, but they have a blindspot for the inconvenience it causes to their users and how much of a disincentive it is for many to try out connecting devices together.

BTW, could someone lend me a mini-Thunderbolt to Thunderbolt adapter?

The two faults from Apple on DVI are 1) they weren?t able to make the Mini-DVi work with DL-DVI thus requiring an expensive adapter, but that could simply be technological limitations of the time, and 2) That they weren?t able to predict a need for a thinner Micro-DVI when designing Mini-DVI.

Overall Apple has been pretty good about ports. How many card readers does Sony have? How many USB ports are there?

Thunderbolt uses the mDP port and it?s small and future-forward enough that it should be standard for a long time to come.

And look at their 30-pin Dock Connector. That?s been standard for a decade. That?s impressive for any CE company across 100s of millions of devices with a hundred different SKUs.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    I think it also should be noted that while not the same as firewire, ie free licensing. It's going to be hard for manufactures other than Apple to justify using it while Apple only has around 8% market share.

Also its extreme unlikely that Apple or other mfgs will create expansion cards for PCs. Thus the technology is going to be limited to Apple.

Even though Intel is late to the party with its own technology, AMD creating chip sets already shows the potential demand for the product.

Combined with the backwards comparability, USB3 will be the standard while Thunderbold will be the better option that no one used just like Firewire.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RepairZoom View Post

I think it also should be noted that while not the same as firewire, ie free licensing. It's going to be hard for manufactures other than Apple to justify using it while Apple only has around 8% market share.

Also its extreme unlikely that Apple or other mfgs will create expansion cards for PCs. Thus the technology is going to be limited to Apple.

Even though Intel is late to the party with its own technology, AMD creating chip sets already shows the potential demand for the product.

Combined with the backwards comparability, USB3 will be the standard while Thunderbold will be the better option that no one used just like Firewire.

Sounds like you missed the part of article that stated "Intel will support [?] Thunderbolt.? Last time i checked Intel?s CPUs were used in the vast majority of standard PCs.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post

Why do I get the feeling Thunderbolt is going to be another Firewire? Everybody's going to go USB3.

Apple doesn't tilt at windmills anymore for the sake of appearance.

They are the windmill now (2nd most valued company in the world) and lead innovation AND sales.