Apple adds another iPad 2 touchscreen manufacturer to meet demand

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple will reportedly add Chimei Innolux Corp. as a third supplier of touch panel sensors and displays for the iPad 2, as the company works to secure more components and boost production of the hot-selling device.

Chimei will join the current touchscreen suppliers, TPK Holding Corp. and Wintek Corp., that create sensors for the iPad 2's touchscreen, according to Bloomberg. Despite the addition of Chimei, Wintek and TPK will reportedly remain "key suppliers" for those components.

Chimei is an affiliate of Foxconn Technology Group, Apple's overseas manufacturing partner. The report noted that Apple's order of touch panels from Chimei may further deepen ties between Foxconn and Apple.

In addition to touch sensors that accompany LCD screens, Chimei will also provide the screens themselves, according to DigiTimes Chimei will reportedly begin shipments of in-plane switching screens in May 2011, joining current display providers LG Display and Samsung Electronics.

Apple's forging of a new partnership with Chimei is yet another sign that Apple is expanding its number of component suppliers to manufacture more iPads. On Monday, it was revealed that Apple is testing a new LED backlight maker, Everlight Electronics.

Suppliers have reportedly suggested that shipments of the iPad 2 could reach 45 million in 2011, a sum that would make sales of the second-generation device three times greater than the 15 million Apple sold in 2010.

Since the iPad 2 launched in the U.S. in early March, Apple has struggled to meet demand for the device, as lines continue to form and stock-outs continue to occur around the world.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple will reportedly

Since the iPad 2 launched in the U.S. in early March, Apple has struggled to meet demand for the device, as lines continue to form and stock-outs continue to occur around the world.

first off

apple is very smart

to back itself up like this

by 2015 i wonder if sales will drop off or keep going ???

• Reply 2 of 14
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Good move on Apple's part. Especially if they plan to go to war with Samsung over design infringement of the iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    iq78iq78 Posts: 256member
    I'm not so sure this is a 3rd supplier.

It seems more likely that it might be a backup 2nd supplier, once Apple tells Samsung to F-off.

-IAMIQ78
  • Reply 4 of 14
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Now where are all the people, claiming, the lines were just a result of artificial supply restriction as a strategical move by Apple, to keep up the hype?

And by the way, Good on Apple to broaden the supply chain.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    SOT

I haven't heard any reports of lines of people waiting to buy PlayBooks...

In the words of Yogi Berra: "The [PlayBook] fans are staying away in droves!"
  • Reply 6 of 14
    I'm going to take a different angle..

Is it good to have 3 suppliers of touch screen, displays or whatever? Which iPad 2 are you getting, what is the variance, how does it effect calibration, will one panel need a slightly different firmware tweak.

Seagate, toshiba, western digital and hitatchi all make HDDs. This does not make them all the same. I'd prefer a hitatchi from personal experience.

You can ask someone to make to a spec... but it isn't going to be identical by any means.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Is it good to have 3 suppliers of touch screen, displays or whatever? Which iPad 2 are you getting, what is the variance, how does it effect calibration, will one panel need a slightly different firmware tweak.

Seagate, toshiba, western digital and hitatchi all make HDDs. This does not make them all the same. I'd prefer a hitatchi from personal experience.

You can ask someone to make to a spec... but it isn't going to be identical by any means.

Agreed. While it's a smart move to not have all your eggs in one basket, I worry about the slight variances in screens. I remember when I was researching the TV I currently own, I had to go to AVS Forum to find out which serial numbers to avoid and which to look for based on the particular manufacturer of the display. i don't want to have to worry about that in other devices, too.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    It's what I said yesterday!! Apple needs to ramp up production! If the other factories were working at 100% it's the only option!! But I agree with others that there will be slight differences in every manufactures products!!
  • Reply 9 of 14
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Logical step to take.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    screen variances blah blah blah. It's a tablet, not a photo production studio. Your eyes will adjust. What I would like, no matter the screen is the ability to make tweaks for color temp, saturation, contrast, (all the setting found on any TV sold today) I'm sure people could figure it out considering they probably own a TV. Maybe they already have this somewhere. I did a quick search of the app store, nothing, settings nothing
  • Reply 11 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Good move on Apple's part. Especially if they plan to go to war with Samsung over design infringement of the iPhone.

Timing is everything
  • Reply 12 of 14
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

Nah.

The specs are tight enough that the variances are insignificant to Joe Consumer. After all, we're talking about a 8.8mm thick tablet. It's not like the display manufacturer can add another millimeter.

Sourcing multiple suppliers will drive cost competition which helps COGS. As we all know, Apple (and its shareholders) loves their fat gross margins.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    I wonder how much more difficult it will be for Apple to keep a tight lid on its future products and business decisions with more manufacturers to keep tabs on.

Asia, it seems, is becoming the source of more and more Apple leaks.
  • Reply 14 of 14

I was referring to the touch arrays as well as the screen panels themselves.

If this stuff is so simple to whip up then why aren't there Joes touch screens down the corner 5 for the price of 3 same day pick up.

To get really edgy, the skill and even care of a worker in-line will be a variance. Sure each person unique, but culturally as well. Even the machines used.

Wonder how Apple creates a non-variance scenario across 3 suppliers, I do.