Total shipments of new Apple TV top 2 million, 820K sold last quarter - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Shipments of the second-generation Apple TV continue to be strong, reaching more than 2 million estimated units since the device launched late last year, according to a new report.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of Concord Securities revealed the results of his survey of Apple suppliers on Tuesday. The numbers show that sales of the Apple TV have held relatively steady since the device first went on sale last October.

Sales of the streaming-centric iOS-powered Apple TV topped 1 million just before Christmas of last year, and within three months of its launch. That pace showed strong sales had continued after a breakout start of 250,000 units in its first six weeks.

Apple has famously referred to its set top box product as a "hobby," but with AirPlay instant wireless streaming of audio and video from iOS devices now available for third-party applications, the Apple TV could become a more integral part of the Apple ecosystem. And while the Apple TV remains a "hobby," steady shipments of the $99 device have bolstered its status.

Kuo estimates that Apple sold 820,000 units of the Apple TV in its second quarter of fiscal 2011, which ran from January through March. Apple will announce its quarterly earnings after the market closes on Wednesday, though the company frequently does not mention the Apple TV, focusing instead on more popular products like the iPhone and iPad.

As the new second-generation Apple TV gains a foothold in the market, Apple is rumored to be exploring other options to bring AirPlay to the masses. In March, Bloomberg reported that Apple is considering a plan to license AirPlay to third-party HDTV makers, allowing users to stream video directly from an iPhone or iPad to their TV set without the need for an Apple TV set top box.

There are also persistent rumors that Apple is developing its own full-fledged television set. One analyst said earlier this month that there are signs that Apple could release an Internet-connected television by the end of this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    Wonder how that compares to Google TV... Not that I really care
  • Reply 2 of 60
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    This would be a major development.
  • Reply 3 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Compared to the rest of their devices it’s surely a “hobby” with only $81,180,000 in revenue for the quarter… but that’s some hobby.

I just hope they get an SDK and App Store for AppleTV this year to really make it a solid product that helps unify their ecosystem even more. Also, a new AppleTV with the A5 and more NAND for apps, and some useful ways to interact with the device for games.

Still not buying the whole AppleTV HDTV rumour. I want to buy it but there is nothing compelling about it that makes it sound reasonable from a business perspective.

PS: I wonder if Apple will include AppleTVs in it’s tally of devices running iOS. Technically it does but I wouldn’t consider it the same platform the way I would all iOS-based iDevices.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Compared to the rest of their devices it’s surely a “hobby” with only $81,180,000 in revenue for the quarter… but that’s some hobby.

I just hope they get an SDK and App Store for AppleTV this year to really make it a solid product that helps unify their ecosystem even more. Also, a new AppleTV with the A5 and more NAND for apps, and some useful ways to interact with the device for games.

PS: I wonder if Apple will include AppleTVs in it’s tally of devices running iOS. Technically it does but I wouldn’t consider it the same platform the way I would all iOS-based iDevices.

Hmm! I really envy S.J. He calls something a hobby and sells 2M in just one quartal. I should find myself a hobby too!
  • Reply 5 of 60
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Surprised so many of these are selling. It really isn't a product worthy of homes when there are devices that do so much more available.

It would be cool to have an Apple TV, but I can't justify it when my PS3 does everything it does and so, so much more:
    • Blu Ray

• DVD

• Games

• BBC iPlayer

• ITV Player

• Hulu

• LoveFilm

• Live TV (with recording to HDD, pause and rewind)

• Free music videos (how much does Apple charge?!)

• 4OD

• Web Browsing (with Flash)

Granted, PS3 is more expensive but it's less than £100 more expensive and I'd say that additional functionality warrants the price.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Wonder how that compares to Google TV... Not that I really care

compared to google tv, this is about 2 million more.
  • Reply 7 of 60
    This thing is making a killing with MLB and NBA fans, let me tell you. The addition of MLB.tv for me and my baseball fanatics persuaded all of us to get one. The quality is excellent, too; 95% as good as the U-Verse picture. If they can get Center Ice and Sunday Ticket on this, it'll do even better.
  • Reply 8 of 60
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Surprised so many of these are selling. It really isn't a product worthy of homes when there are devices that do so much more available.

It would be cool to have an Apple TV, but I can't justify it when my PS3 does everything it does and so, so much more:
    • Blu Ray

• DVD

• Games

• BBC iPlayer

• ITV Player

• Hulu

• LoveFilm

• 4OD

Granted, PS3 is more expensive but it's less than £100 more expensive and I'd say that additional functionality warrants the price.

Apple TV is $99, PS3 basic is $299 in US. ITunes, Netflix, Airplay, strong integration to your home PCs for a total impulse price. PS3 is nice but 3x the price and nowhere near an impulse buy.

When they open up an App store for it, it will become much more useful (and all the UK VoD services will probably magically appear).
  • Reply 9 of 60
    a_ka_k Posts: 32member
    This is no longer a "hobby" but rather a potential success.

I still remember when they were selling less Mac's than that.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    edit: Pipped by Capnbob.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    Quote:

• Blu Ray

• DVD

• Games

• BBC iPlayer

• ITV Player

• Hulu

• LoveFilm

• 4OD

AirPlay. and it's 3x cheaper, much smaller, quieter, better looking, and easier to use.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

Apple TV is $99, PS3 basic is $299 in US. ITunes, Netflix, Airplay, strong integration to your home PCs for a total impulse price. PS3 is nice but 3x the price and nowhere near an impulse buy.

When they open up an App store for it, it will become much more useful (and all the UK VoD services will probably magically appear).

In the UK Apple TV is £101 while a new PS3 can be had for around £180. Plus, there isn't really much content available on Apple TV and what is there seems to be very expensive.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:

In the UK Apple TV is £101 while a new PS3 can be had for around £180. Plus, there isn't really much content available on Apple TV and what is there seems to be very expensive.

1) For your purchasing choice using UK prices makes sense, but from Apple?s selling position using their primary populace makes sense. In the US the PS3 goes for about 3x the price of the AppleTV.

2) There is plenty of content for the AppleTV. Netflix (which I believe I read had a huge surge in subscribers when the AppleTV came out), iTS, YouTube, PodCasts, and anything you can add to iTunes from various sources, and any app that has access to AirPlay. That last one is key. I bet people use their iDevices in their living room than they use PS3.
  • Reply 14 of 60
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A_K View Post

This is no longer a "hobby" but rather a potential success.

I still remember when they were selling less Mac's than that.

How old are you?
  • Reply 15 of 60
    Quote:

Without AirPlay, I would not be interested in a PS3 if they gave it away.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    2MM shipped? Or sold to consumers?
  • Reply 17 of 60
    So basically what we're saying is Microsoft still sell a lot more xboxs which also has the same functionality.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

How old are you?

I think the last time Apple sold under 820k Macs was in the first calendar quarter of 2004. So if we?re talking about memory he could be as young as about 10yo if he was exceptional observant when it came to technology sales but I have a feeling you were leaning to the other end of the spectrum.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The reality is if you jailbreak this device you end up with a nice little embedded computer. A computer by the way that has as much capability as one sold 5 years ago for thousands. All in a package that draws a few watts.

In this regards AppleTV's only shortcoming is in the lack of I/O. However there are plenty of uses for a machine of this size and nature that don't require gobs of I/O. Put Python on this platform and the number of apps would sky rocket.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    What the Apple TV does very well is interface with other iOS devices. It is cool to be surfing the internet on an iPad or iPhone, find a video I want to watch, and send that to the TV. The Apple TV also has a very user friendly interface, an area Sony is improving but still needs some work on.

For what is it worth, I don't have an Apple TV, but my brother who was staying with me has one. Like you, I couldn't justify the $99 for the Apple TV when I already own an X-Box 360 that plays my Netflix and does many of the other things you mentioned as well (the Microsoft Kinnect with the Netflix app is pretty cool). What would change my mind is if Apple opened the Apple TV up to developers so I could get more applications on it.

PS:

Flash on the PS3 is a draw back in my view. :O)

Quote:

• Blu Ray

• DVD

• Games

• BBC iPlayer

• ITV Player

• Hulu

• LoveFilm

• 4OD