Apple to launch new iPhone with faster processor, same look in September - rumor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report claims Apple suppliers will begin production of its next-generation iPhone, which will feature a faster processor but few changes to its look, in July for a launch that will likely occur in September of this year.

Citing three people familiar with the matter, Reuters reported on Wednesday that Apple's next iPhone will arrive in September. The device will allegedly boast a faster processor while looking "largely similar to the iPhone 4," the report read, without providing further details.

Reuters' sources roughly corroborate a recent note from Concorde Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Kuo told AppleInsider earlier this week that Apple's so-called iPhone 5 would go into mass production in September.

Kuo's checks with the supply chain indicate the that iPhone 5 will include the faster A5 processor currently found in the iPad 2 and an 8-megapixel rear camera. He has also been told that the next-generation smartphone would sport a Qualcomm baseband for both GSM and CDMA models and make use of an improved antenna design.

Previous reports had also suggested that Apple would push the release of the next iPhone past the summer. In years past, Apple has released a new iPhone every summer since the first-generation iPhone launched in 2007.

Last week, sources at touch panel makers told DigiTimes that Apple had yet to release a production roadmap for the iPhone 5, making a summer launch unlikely.

It has been suggested that supply disruption related to the Japan earthquake in March has contributed to the rumored delays. Others point to a "major overhaul" as the reason for the prolonged release, though that appears to conflict with Wednesday's rumor.

Avian Securities has also echoed reports of a September launch for the iPhone 5. A recent client noted from analyst Brian White of Ticonderoga Securities said that Asian sources believe the iPhone 5 is on track for an October launch in china.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report claims Apple suppliers will begin production of its next-generation iPhone, which will feature a faster processor but few changes to its look, in July for a launch that will likely occur in September of this year.

Citing three people familiar with the matter, Reuters reported on Wednesday that Apple's next iPhone will arrive in September. The device will allegedly boast a faster processor while looking "largely similar to the iPhone 4," the report read, without providing further details.

Reuters' sources roughly corroborate a recent note from Concorde Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. Kuo told AppleInsider earlier this week that Apple's so-called iPhone 5 would go into mass production in September. Kuo's checks with the supply chain indicate the that iPhone 5 will include the faster A5 processor currently found in the iPad 2 and an 8-megapixel rear camera.

Previous reports had also suggested that Apple would push the release of the next iPhone past the summer. In years past, Apple has released a new iPhone every summer since the first-generation iPhone launched in 2008.

Last week, sources at touch panel makers told DigiTimes that Apple had yet to release a production roadmap for the iPhone 5, making a summer launch unlikely.

It has been suggested that supply disruption related to the Japan earthquake in March has contributed to the rumored delays. Others point to a "major overhaul" as the reason for the prolonged release.

Oops!!! i meant the white one... natch....

here's the customizable color site for that ...

http://www.colorwarepc.com/p-236-iphone-4.aspx

• Reply 2 of 76
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member
    It doesn't make sense. Why delay until September if you only make minimal changes? If they delay the launch, they must work on something very hard to implement, something revolutionary, not just a faster processor.
  • Reply 3 of 76
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    "It's called the iPhone 4[S]. The S stands for Speed!"
  • Reply 4 of 76
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    Makes for a good rumor but I doubt they'll delay very long as the market moves fast.
  • Reply 5 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This rumour is shaping up to look legit, but why the change in the release cycle? I can?t imagine this speed bump will have affected the release schedule by a full season.

Some ideas that cross my mind:
    • Lion and/or new data center caused the need for this year?s delay?

• New larger display in about the same size casing needs more lead time for devs in the new SDK for apps and their submissions to be shown at WWDC?

• Need extra time to add some new HW to the iPhone 5, like a thunderbolt controller for faster syncing and charging to Macs to help legitimize the new port?

• Releasing the iPad so close to iPhone proving difficult with the excessive popularity of both categories so moving them to 6 months apart was needed?

• Perhaps based on the previous item, the iPhone as the most profitable HW product and iPod least having them both released at the same time for the holidays makes more sense 5 years later?

• Reply 6 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This rumour is shaping up to look legit, but why the change in the release cycle? I can?t imagine this speed bump will have affected the release schedule by a full season.

Some ideas that cross my mind:
    • Lion and/or new data center caused the need for this year?s delay?

• New larger display in about the same size casing needs more lead time for devs in the new SDK for apps and their submissions to be shown at WWDC?

• Need extra time to add some new HW to the iPhone 5, like a thunderbolt controller for faster syncing and charging to Macs to help legitimize the new port?

• Releasing the iPad so close to iPhone proving difficult with the excessive popularity of both categories so moving them to 6 months apart was needed?

• Perhaps based on the previous item, the iPhone as the most profitable HW product and iPod least having them both released at the same time for the holidays makes more sense 5 years later?

story... you have all the kids going back to school and the holidays and the BUZZ for the new new new

(drum roll here) i- whatever

but it makes PERFECT sense... this will give them enough time to add any i-extras and also have an LTE (real 4G) iphone ready , since AT$T and Verizon should have their 4G network online by then... we hope
  • Reply 7 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

story... you have all the kids going back to school and the holidays and the BUZZ for the new new new

(drum roll here) i- whatever

but it makes PERFECT sense... this will give them enough time to add any i-extras and also have an LTE (real 4G) iphone ready , since AT$T and Verizon should have their 4G network online by then... we hope

Verizon will have decent coverage but that?s not the tricky part. The difficulty comes with a small enough and efficient enough LTE chip for the iPhone.

It?s already a very small smartphone in terms of volume so I wonder where they are going to get an LTE chip that will be viable when no one else has one. Maybe they are working with Qualcomm on this. Apple does design their own ARM chips and I seem to recall the baseband processors using older ARM builds. Could Apple make this more efficient? Could they move this process onto the A5 now that it has multiple cores? Is that even something that?s possible?
  • Reply 8 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Verizon will have decent coverage but that?s not the tricky part. The difficulty comes with a small enough and efficient enough LTE chip for the iPhone.

It?s already a very small smartphone in terms of volume so I wonder where they are going to get an LTE chip that will be viable when no one else has one. Maybe they are working with Qualcomm on this. Apple does design their own ARM chips and I seem to recall the baseband processors using older ARM builds. Could Apple make this more efficient? Could they move this process onto the A5 now that it has multiple cores? Is that even something that?s possible?

they will have Qualcomm develop something for that trust me ... they have the capital to do it.
  • Reply 9 of 76
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Well rumors are starting to get better but still don't sound right. Would Apple put out a new model IPHONE just for a speed bump?? Could be because theres a rumor about the Iphone5 coming in 5 colors
  • Reply 10 of 76
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    This makes sense.

Steve Jobs claimed that the iPhone 4 took 18 months of engineering. Apple is not staffed to come up with an entirely new iPhone design on an annual basis; everything else in their product line tends to have a ~2-3 year design cycle.

Speed bumps/spec increases are pretty common at Apple with subsequent models being refinements of the existing design. It's also a way that Apple can maximize ROI from a particular design; we all know that they (and their shareholders) love big gross margins from having a design investment pay off from volume sales.

Both the iPhone 3GS and iPod touch 3G were examples of "speed bumped" models with minimal exterior design changes. It is possible that Apple's product roadmap calls for major redesigns on a periodic non-annual basis.

Why the iPhone 2011 would be delayed to September is anyone's guess, however it might related to component availability from the supply chain. This might be a silicon issue: the A5 SoC or the Qualcomm dual-mode GSM-CDMA cellular chip (present in the CDMA version of the iPhone).
  • Reply 11 of 76
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Boooooooooooooooooring

iOS 5 with cloud integration please

Apple can do some more cool stuff with hardware next year like a bigger screen, LTE & NFC.

For now the next big change in the way mainstream users interact with computers is going to come by baking cloud integration directly into the OS, not with a processor that's a bit faster.

Everyone else is doing it and it's time for Apple to show their hand.

If they like (for stage 1 at least) they can just take my iTunes (app/video/music/tv purchases, personal pictures/video/music and backups (app data, game saves etc)) , shift it all to the cloud and enable OTA syncing of all my devices.

If they do that I'll be happy

All the other cool stuff like video/picture album publishing, file sharing and collaboration, music streaming, social integration etc etc can come later on.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    The faster processor helps with certain local applications. The dual-core A5 on my iPad 2 is great for photo and video editing. The cloud doesn't really provide a lot of value-add in this scenario. And if the 720p HD original footage lives locally, you don't really want to wait for it to upload to the cloud before editing. The network connectivity isn't always there.

The cloud also doesn't help much in terms of 3D graphics performance (e.g., in games).

Cloud integration is a function of the OS, not the hardware. That's a discussion about iOS 5, not the next generation iPhone hardware. These are TCP/IP devices, the fact that you're connected via a 3G cellular data connection or WiFi shouldn't make a difference (apart from speed). My iPod touch is designed to function like an iPhone when it has a WiFi connection.
  • Reply 13 of 76
    The iPhone was release in 2007 not 2008 btw...
  • Reply 14 of 76
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

The faster processor helps with certain local applications. The dual-core A5 on my iPad 2 is great for photo and video editing. The cloud doesn't really provide a lot of value-add in this scenario.

And how much video editing do you plan on doing on your iPhone?

You record with your iPhone, but the iPad has a lot nicer interface to edit.

Now if only there was some way for video recorded on your iPhone to automatically sync with your iPad for editing...
  • Reply 15 of 76
    I don't own an iPhone. I have a fourth generation iPod touch and the latest iPad. Plus a third-party digital camera with movie functions.

But thanks for asking.
  • Reply 16 of 76
    So what are those of us who are waiting for our AT&T contract to be up at the end of June supposed to do? I'll have to get the iPhone 4 in late June, so will I be stuck with that for another two years now? I just waited two years because I thought the iPhone 5 would be available in June. This sucks!
  • Reply 17 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

since AT$T and Verizon should have their 4G network online by then... we hope

What about the rest of the planet? How soon until the entire world is bathed in LTE?
  • Reply 18 of 76
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

And how much video editing do you plan on doing on your iPhone?

You record with your iPhone, but the iPad has a lot nicer interface to edit.

Now if only there was some way for video recorded on your iPhone to automatically sync with your iPad for editing...

I would agree that there should be seamless syncing of content across our Apple devices, but we should be able to choose if the master is at Apple or pick one of our own machines, connected to the net.
  • Reply 19 of 76
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Bootleg Saint View Post

So what are those of us who are waiting for our AT&T contract to be up at the end of June supposed to do? I'll have to get the iPhone 4 in late June, so will I be stuck with that for another two years now? I just waited two years because I thought the iPhone 5 would be available in June. This sucks!

I'm in the same situation but I'll just let the payments run through to September off-contract and then sign a new contract then for an iPhone 5.
  • Reply 20 of 76
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    Releasing the iPhone 5 later will give them more time to sell the white iPhone 4.

Furthermore, the current iPhone design works, why reinvent the wheels?

I personally think the following will be introduced with the iPhone 5:

1. Faster CPU/GPU

2. Better camera

3. Gsm and Verizon in one device

4. 64GB version

5. New version of iOS with new functionality