Total shipments of new Apple TV top 2 million, 820K sold last quarter - report

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KT Walrus View Post

The killer app for Apple TV is AirPlay.

Is it really killer? How is the picture quality when scaling ipad content to an HDTV? Apple TV requires itunes so the movie would go from computer to AppleTV instead of computer to ipad to Apple TV.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ltcompuser View Post

That said, there are a few things I'd like to see the ATV have:

* apps running on the ATV.

I wish Apple will make a 40" or 50" iPad ...
  • Reply 43 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Is it really killer? How is the picture quality when scaling ipad content to an HDTV? Apple TV requires itunes so the movie would go from computer to AppleTV instead of computer to ipad to Apple TV.

Yeah, it is killer.

I have a 52" Samsung and the AirPlay picture quality is great.

My kids especially love the streaming the 720P YouTube videos from the iPad.

it will be even better when more apps stream.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Apple TV requires itunes so the movie would go from computer to AppleTV instead of computer to ipad to Apple TV.

That?s an erroneous conclusion. In fact, the AppleTV is the first iOS-based device that, out of the box, does not require any connection to iTunes on a ?PC? to be useful. You can log into the iTS, Flickr, YouTube, Netflix accounts, and perhaps others right from the device.

AirPlay is either done from an Device to an AppleTV through a router or directly via an ad-hoc network. I?ve heard that latter actually works but I have my doubts. I think it?s just the first method, but it?s not being routed to a ?PC? running iTunes just to push it back onto the network again.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Guessing when they update the Apple TV they'll drop in the A5 chip (current one has the A4) and then 1080p will be no problem whatsoever. That's when I'll get interested.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

Guessing when they update the Apple TV they'll drop in the A5 chip (current one has the A4) and then 1080p will be no problem whatsoever. That's when I'll get interested.

I wonder if they?ll not enable 1080p in the next AppleTV or even come out with a 1080p-capable AppleTV until they can get 1080p on the iTS.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

Agreed, at that price I can see a couple more coming home with me There are some things missing though. I'd like to access my itunes library (NAS) or other video library directly rather than through an itunes server. There are work arounds but I suppose I'm like the 99% of the other buyers and just want something that I plug it and it works.

Man, I LOVE my Apple TV. I watch movies from itunes INSTANTLY (Get a GOOD U-Verse/DSL Connection -- Doh!) I have 24Mbps, works beautifully -- Airplay rocks -- everytime I show movies I shot with my iphone on the screen in my theater i've got in my house people go nuts -- My prediction -- this is Apple's next big thing -- once it does gaming, apps, etc... This is just the beginning.
  • Reply 48 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KT Walrus View Post

The killer app for Apple TV is AirPlay.

Really?

I've never understood what your actually meant to use it for. It look really cool when you see the videos sending the content from your iPhone or iPad to your TV, but the iPhone and iPad don't have big enough hard drives to store your film collection on so that still needs to come from your computer. So does that just leave things like You Tube, in which case there already on an Apple TV. Or what is it that is on your phone that makes it worthwhile to turn your TV on, choose the Apple TV input, turn your Apple TV on and then hit the button to send the video your watching to the TV.

The tech looks great, I just can't think of any situation where it's useful.
  • Reply 49 of 60
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jr_b View Post

Apple TV 2 is not as good as the original Apple TV. Sure it has Netflix, MLB and NBA. My xBox 360 plays all Netflix content --the Apple TV 2 doesn't.

Hmmm? What Netflix content does the Apple TV not play?
  • Reply 50 of 60
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:

Yeah, it is killer.

I have a 52" Samsung and the AirPlay picture quality is great.

My kids especially love the streaming the 720P YouTube videos from the iPad.

it will be even better when more apps stream.

I can stream video from my phone, or Mac to my PS3, this Airplay is not a new concept
  • Reply 51 of 60
    I don't thing there is much doubt about it. The ATV interface is a dream compared to that of the PS3. my wife is a techno peasant she uses ATV daily. I could not get her to understand the PS3 interface. Just getting to Netflix on the PS3 is an inelegant chore.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Surprised so many of these are selling. It really isn't a product worthy of homes when there are devices that do so much more available.

It would be cool to have an Apple TV, but I can't justify it when my PS3 does everything it does and so, so much more:
    • Blu Ray

• DVD

• Games

• BBC iPlayer

• ITV Player

• Hulu

• LoveFilm

• Live TV (with recording to HDD, pause and rewind)

• Free music videos (how much does Apple charge?!)

• 4OD

• Web Browsing (with Flash)

Granted, PS3 is more expensive but it's less than £100 more expensive and I'd say that additional functionality warrants the price.

• Reply 52 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

The PS3 is a MUCH better value for money than the Apple TV. However, its not a perfect substitute for it. The low price point (at least for people with disposable incomes) means that people are very willing to spend the sum to achieve that functionality.

Currently, the Apple TV does not offer much for people outside the US, unless you have a large iTunes based library. However, in the US, its a tiny thing which does not clutter your entertainment center, and provides you with a large amount of easily accessible content (MLB, NBA, Netflix, iTunes) at a very low price.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were many who purchased an Apple TV but also have a PS3, or an XBox 360.

I'm not in the US, and I can do everything on my Apple TV a US Apple TV can do except NetFlix (theoretically, I could do it with some serious wriggling around with a proxy and buying a US credit card number service). All it takes is the purchase of a US Apple iTunes Gift Card online.

I absolutely love my Apple TV, mostly for streaming my iTunes library, but I do rent movies from time to time.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggarthomas View Post

I don't thing there is much doubt about it. The ATV interface is a dream compared to that of the PS3. my wife is a techno peasant she uses ATV daily. I could not get her to understand the PS3 interface. Just getting to Netflix on the PS3 is an inelegant chore.

No it isn't, they are just as bad as each other.

The ATV menu is inconsistent, and confusing.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    debusohdebusoh Posts: 85member
    Why doesn't AppleTV have Pandora?!?!? I saw a Samsung Blueray player that had the pandora client, so I highly doubt it is because Pandora doesn't want to be on AppleTV.

Why doesn't AppleTV have Pandora??? It just makes no sense to me.

I have one of these and would use the Pandora client a lot if it had it.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggarthomas View Post

On the PS3 it is a few arrow clicks and select. The Apple TV UI is arrow clicks and select button. Wife understands Apple clicks but not PS3 clicks?
  • Reply 56 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

I can stream video from my phone, or Mac to my PS3, this Airplay is not a new concept

I never claimed it was a new concept.

It's the combination of having 1 mac as a repository for all our media files. Then being able to access the media through iPods, iPhones, iPads and Apple TV that is the benefit. My PS3 also has slideshow capabilities and you can hook up an external drive, they just as easy to use as using the ATV.

Before AirPlay was out I bought Rivet http://thelittleappfactory.com/rivet/ to stream to our PS3. Unfortunately, it wasn't robust enough for the amount of media we have.

One improvement that could be made on the iPad is how it handles shared video libraries. It needs the ability to sort by Genres, especially for large libraries. The titles and images get out of sync when scrolling through a large collection of videos. In this regard, if it worked more like the ATV it would be fine.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Really?

I've never understood what your actually meant to use it for. It look really cool when you see the videos sending the content from your iPhone or iPad to your TV, but the iPhone and iPad don't have big enough hard drives to store your film collection on so that still needs to come from your computer. So does that just leave things like You Tube, in which case there already on an Apple TV. Or what is it that is on your phone that makes it worthwhile to turn your TV on, choose the Apple TV input, turn your Apple TV on and then hit the button to send the video your watching to the TV.

The tech looks great, I just can't think of any situation where it's useful.

If you're watching YouTube on your ATV is better to control with an iOS device. It's easier to type in those than entering text by clicking on the remote control.

It's also handy when my children's friends come over. They gather around the TV and stream media from their iPods and iPads to the ATV.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    Quote:

I never claimed it was a new concept.

It's the combination of having 1 mac as a repository for all our media files. Then being able to access the media through iPods, iPhones, iPads and Apple TV that is the benefit. My PS3 also has slideshow capabilities and you can hook up an external drive, they just as easy to use as using the ATV.

The PS3 is a lot faster than the ATV. I would try an ATV2, not sure if I want to slap down another $200 after the poor experience with the ATV

Quote:

Before AirPlay was out I bought Rivet http://thelittleappfactory.com/rivet/ to stream to our PS3. Unfortunately, it wasn't robust enough for the amount of media we have.

I used Medialink, worked fine. Well except for Apples proprietary DRM digital download format, but I prefer to purchase/rent my movies in a format where I can play them on equipment available from a number of different manufacturers.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

The PS3 is a lot faster than the ATV. I would try an ATV2, not sure if I want to slap down another $200 after the poor experience with the ATV

Where is the ATV $200?
  • Reply 60 of 60
    Quote:

Where is the ATV $200?

The ATV 2 is NZ$170