Apple to launch new iPhone with faster processor, same look in September - rumor

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Hopefully any delay would mean that they are adding LTE 4G, but who knows.......

P.S. I do think Thunderbolt syncing would be a possible reason for the delay although it is way past time for Apple to offer Wifi sync......
  • Reply 42 of 76
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

It's the light from the sun (coming through the roof), hence the blue tint. And I think you meant incandescent.

You're right, I am talking about a different problem that lends a blue tint.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Well I am not a photographer by any means, just point and shoot, but it is disappointing to have this happen. I asked several bystanders to take pics with their cell phones/point and shoot/dSLR cameras and best I could see, only the iPhone 4 had this blut tint. A couple were Android devices, one crap blackberry phone (which of course was horrible anyways), Canon point, and shoot and a Mark II something dSLR (which I think is overkill for internal shots like this). None had the blue tint, so I guess they do something different.

Oh well. Maybe I should learn something about post processing to clean these photos up and remove that tint. There are several like that. If anyone has any tips, just PM me.

iPhone doesn't auto white balance as aggressively, where iPhone will show you what it looked like closer to absolute terms, other cameras tend to neutralize the photos. In the case of that photo, you're seeing as it is, you are getting light from a blue sky, so why is it a surprise to see blue light?

Picasa, iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom and many other photo editing programs have white balance adjustments. The easiest tool lets you pick the part what you want call white and it adjusts the whole picture accordingly, the more advanced programs let you make manual adjustments using sliders.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    Quote:

Especially one that doesn't add a blue tint to indoor shots under certain lighting.

There is no blue anywhere in our State Capital. However outdoor shots look great.

Hey, Thats Austin TX
  • Reply 44 of 76
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tankgaj View Post

Hey, Thats Austin TX

Yep, I am a proud Texan and always go check out the Capital when in town. The MS-150 bike ride was this past weekend and I was there for that.
  • Reply 45 of 76
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

Well I am not a photographer by any means, just point and shoot, but it is disappointing to have this happen. I asked several bystanders to take pics with their cell phones/point and shoot/dSLR cameras and best I could see, only the iPhone 4 had this blut tint. A couple were Android devices, one crap blackberry phone (which of course was horrible anyways), Canon point, and shoot and a Mark II something dSLR (which I think is overkill for internal shots like this). None had the blue tint, so I guess they do something different.

Oh well. Maybe I should learn something about post processing to clean these photos up and remove that tint. There are several like that. If anyone has any tips, just PM me.

As for this thread, I will be keeping my i4 and not updating until my contract runs out in summer 2012.

As other have said, the photo looks "correct". The iPhone 4's white balance adjusted to the indoor lighting and so the interior looks as if it's how our eyes perceive it to be from the place you took the photo. If other people are not seeing this blue tint via their cameras, it's only because their cameras aren't adjusting to the indoor lighting but rather have their white balance on "daylight" or something like that. That's why they don't see a blue tint in the sunlit areas. The trade-off is the rest of the building interior can't look like the way we see it with our eyes. Look closely at your friends' photos (those without the blue tint you mentioned) and I can almost guarantee that the building interior will look "wrong" or with a redish/orange cast that doesn't show up in your iPhone photo.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

---

"... an extraordinarily extended dynamic rage ..."

---

My car has that feature.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

As other have said, the photo looks "correct". The iPhone 4's white balance adjusted to the indoor lighting and so the interior looks as if it's how our eyes perceive it to be from the place you took the photo. If other people are not seeing this blue tint via their cameras, it's only because their cameras aren't adjusting to the indoor lighting but rather have their white balance on "daylight" or something like that. That's why they don't see a blue tint in the sunlit areas. The trade-off is the rest of the building interior can't look like the way we see it with our eyes. Look closely at your friends' photos (those without the blue tint you mentioned) and I can almost guarantee that the building interior will look "wrong" or with a redish/orange cast that doesn't show up in your iPhone photo.

Correct, it did have a slightly more orange cast. I went into iPhoto and adjusted the temperatures to make them look not as blue. It looks better IMO and more like I remember the inside. It is a little reddish/orange and dim inside the Capital.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Or maybe one of the largest centres for electronics component manufacturing in the world was wiped off the face of the earth last month - Japan is in crisis, there are going to be impacts to product cycles and launch dates...

Bit of an exaggeration. The northern part of Japan which was destroyed was mostly farming and fishing. The high-tech sector is in southern Japan and remains completely intact. There are some electrical power issues but nothing that serious. I'm not dismissing the extent of the tragedy but "Wiped of the face of the Earth" is just a bit much.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Do you think perhaps, as others have suggested, this maybe the iPhone 4s rather than 5?

BTW, I'd like to see an option to totally update/ backup /sync an iPhone or an iPad via wi-fi to a Mac as an option to a direct link. Heck I transfer well over 10 gigs regularly via my AE between Macs on my network.

Off Topic: Why is AI soooo slow these days?

If it?s just some spec bumps and a new HW feature or two in the same design and dimensions I can see iPhone 4S (or iPhone 4G if they do add LTE).

Any WiFi syncing will come with iOS 5.0 which may arrive sooner than the next iPhone. Personally i think that is a good move. It could give the iPhone sales a boost mid-cycle. If they do add more wireless syncing options I doubt it will be everything. I?d think it will a regulated service that is well thought out (that don?t mean perfect!) as to limit your battery drain.

I haven?t experienced any slowness. I have noticed an odd swarm of spammers hitting the site.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I have noticed an odd swarm of spammers hitting the site.

No crap. There's steps the Admin can and should take to minimize it. Really out'a hand the past week.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

Well rumors are starting to get better but still don't sound right. Would Apple put out a new model IPHONE just for a speed bump?? Could be because theres a rumor about the Iphone5 coming in 5 colors

Why would Apple put out the 3GS when it was little more than a speed bump?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Bootleg Saint View Post

So what are those of us who are waiting for our AT&T contract to be up at the end of June supposed to do? I'll have to get the iPhone 4 in late June, so will I be stuck with that for another two years now? I just waited two years because I thought the iPhone 5 would be available in June. This sucks!

My contract was up in September of 2010. It's not like I was forced to purchase a new phone then. I'm month-to-month now with the same terms and same rate plan I signed 2.5 years ago. I can upgrade to a 4G today, I can wait until later this year for the 4GS/5 and upgrade to that. I can keep my 3G until I throw it against the wall for being so stinking slow...

You don't "have to get the iPhone 4 in late June" - you can simply wait until September and upgrade then.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Picasa, iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom and many other photo editing programs have white balance adjustments. The easiest tool lets you pick the part what you want call white and it adjusts the whole picture accordingly, the more advanced programs let you make manual adjustments using sliders.

...and Aperture (and presumably Lightroom) allows you to apply an adjustment (or multiple adjustments) such as white balance to a photo and then apply the same adjustment (or multiple adjustments) to a batch of photos nearly instantaneously. Imagine you took twelve pictures of the inside of the capitol building in Austin and all of them had that same blue tint because the phone didn't color balance. Chances are the color balance will be off by the same temperature in every one of those twelve photos. So, rather than manually correcting all twelve, you just manually correct one (and maybe make some exposure tweaks) and then apply that chance across the remaining eleven.

That is the beauty of post production tools such as Aperture for those of us who take a lot of photos. ...but I digress...
  • Reply 53 of 76
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Why would Apple put out the 3GS when it was little more than a speed bump?

My contract was up in September of 2010. It's not like I was forced to purchase a new phone then. I'm month-to-month now with the same terms and same rate plan I signed 2.5 years ago. I can upgrade to a 4G today, I can wait until later this year for the 4GS/5 and upgrade to that. I can keep my 3G until I throw it against the wall for being so stinking slow...

You don't "have to get the iPhone 4 in late June" - you can simply wait until September and upgrade then.

As a sap who still has a 3G, I can tell you that 3GS was not merely a "speed bump". Although when I compare my 3G with friends 3GS's, for basic functions, the only difference is speed (3GS is about 1.5X as fast), nevertheless many apps freeze the phone completely, whereas 3GSs I've seen never experience this. The 3GS, regardless of what the tech specs say, was a serious technical upgrade. 3G is useful now pretty much only for the phone and basic e-mail - everything else is so slow or downright dysfunctional, it's almost not worth the bother.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

As a sap who still has a 3G, I can tell you that 3GS was not merely a "speed bump". Although when I compare my 3G with friends 3GS's, for basic functions, the only difference is speed (3GS is about 1.5X as fast), nevertheless many apps freeze the phone completely, whereas 3GSs I've seen never experience this. The 3GS, regardless of what the tech specs say, was a serious technical upgrade. 3G is useful now pretty much only for the phone and basic e-mail - everything else is so slow or downright dysfunctional, it's almost not worth the bother.

True 'nuff. You're right - the 3GS was advertised as being little more than a speed bump (plus a compass). I remember walking into an AT&T store when the 3GS came out and setting my 3G next to it and launching Google Earth on both. That 1.5x bump was an understatement. I was able to pan around on the 3GS before my 3G had left the splash screen.

Now, just this weekend I was at dinner with five other people who had iPhones, myself being the only loser with a 3G. We each launched Facebook simultaneously and they were done reading their news feed before mine even went past the Facebook banner. Many of my apps crash forcing me to reboot, and if any of them use the GPS my phone becomes unresponsive for at least two minutes.

You're right, there clearly is more than just a speed bump in the 3GS. Perhaps it was released because Apple knew multitasking was around the corner and the 3G didn't enough the umph to support it. Perhaps there's a 4GS coming out in September that's an incremental improvement simply to support some unknown future functionality with iOS 5. I hope not - I can't wait any longer and am upgrading to a 4 later this week.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by resnyc View Post

Besides the Megahertz it was also a jump from ARMv6 ARM11 to ARMv7 Cortex-A8. Longer battery life because of it, new HW feature, etc. I think people see the same shell and think that nothing has changed.

Here is a list of the more superficial features without the in-depth technical changes that accompanied the 3GS.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

It doesn't make sense. Why delay until September if you only make minimal changes? If they delay the launch, they must work on something very hard to implement, something revolutionary, not just a faster processor.

The logical reason for a delay if there is one is the earthquake. They can't get the supplies they need in the amounts they need them. And they won't announce anything until they have at least started mass production and can have it out within like 4 weeks. It's just not Apple's style once something isn't a new product that needs FCC approval etc
  • Reply 57 of 76
    biggbigg Posts: 7member
    Quote:

Especially one that doesn't add a blue tint to indoor shots under certain lighting.

There is no blue anywhere in our State Capital. However outdoor shots look great.

It's called white balance. In that photo there are 2 sources of light (the indoor lighting and the sunlight coming in) and they are different temperatures. The camera has to average it out, making one look slightly orange and the other slightly blue.

AFIK there isn't a camera out there that can compensate for this kind thing on its own. That's what post processing is for.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    In case anyone is interested, here is what I did:

Overall, do people on here think the iPhone 4 is a good point and shoot camera?
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

"It's called the iPhone 4[S]. The S stands for Speed!"

I thought it stood for September.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

This makes sense.

Steve Jobs claimed that the iPhone 4 took 18 months of engineering. Apple is not staffed to come up with an entirely new iPhone design on an annual basis; everything else in their product line tends to have a ~2-3 year design cycle.

It's not like Apple has to wait for shipment of a model before it begins design on the next one. You can start that process on the next gen before shipping one.