Researchers raise privacy concerns over location tracking in Apple's iOS 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Cue the Android hate-fest/shit-storm in 3, 2, 1 ...

You mean cue the Apple excuse makers?

This has nothing to do with Android, and your first comment here is a clear attempt to divert the topic off course into a flame war.

What the hell is wrong with you? jk i already know
  • Reply 22 of 137
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Can't apologize this one away - it is what it is... Government spying on its citizens.

Apple products are going to be re-branded by the public replacing the 'I' with 'spy'.

At least now there is some transparency on why Obama and SJ met. Obama has been pushing for more warrantlees domestic spying powers. What better way to get people to willfully, and unexpectedly, participate then to plant it in coveted technology.

Last straw for me. Sold.

I don't invest in unethical stocks.

I know this post is going to get trashed - I also know that regardless of what the usual apologists say, deep down it's bothering their conscious. There has to be a point where freedom and liberty are valued more then profit. Some cross that line before others I guess.

This is no random mistake. This is very intentional. As soon as Obama gets the go-ahead for warrantless wi-fi and cellular spying - this data will be collected and used.
  • Reply 23 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

The results are none-to accurate. I'm reported to have been in places where I've never actually been, with the iPhone at least. Many miles away in fact. Presumably the iPhone snagged a cell tower far away from my exact location.

I found all of this interesting, but not the least-bit alarming. How my "privacy" has been invaded because my iPhone records very vaguely where I've been, is beyond my comprehension. Once again paranoia is its own reward.

Exactly. The location data stored in the file isn't the user's actual location, it's a bunch of reference points from cell tower/wifi signal readings when user requests a location service. Any particular timestamp will have many location points since the device can detect wifi/cell signals over a wide radius. Thus, all the data shows a broad area where a location request was made.

The actual location is determined by an algorithm that looks up all these data points from the table to estimate an accurate location. Apple used to have to send that information to Google to calculate.
  • Reply 24 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by srathi View Post

Awesome! No more complaining from iFans about Privacy flaws in Android. It is unbelievable that Apple is doing such a thing intentionally. \

BS, privacy flaws are privacy flaws. Just because this exists on a competing platform doesn't mean the complaining should stop.

I mean, fanboys are illogical, but I don't think anyone's going to say "Well if Apple's doing it, then it's ok for Android to have similar issues."
  • Reply 25 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Can't apologize this one away - it is what it is... Government spying on its citizens.

Apple products are going to be re-branded by the public replacing the 'I' with 'spy'.

At least now there is some transparency on why Obama and SJ met. Obama has been pushing for more warrantlees domestic spying powers. What better way to get people to willfully, and unexpectedly, participate then to plant it in coveted technology.

Last straw for me. Sold.

I know this post is going to get trashed - I also know that regardless of what the usual apologists say, deep down it's bothering their conscious. There has to be a point where freedom and liberty are valued more then profit. Some cross that line before others I guess.

This is no random mistake. This is very intentional. As soon as Obama gets the go-ahead for warrantless wi-fi and cellular spying - this data will be collected and used.

You're going to pin this on Obama?
  • Reply 26 of 137
    Would you change your mind about the tracking database being 'no big deal' if you were subjected to this? http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20055431-1.html
  • Reply 27 of 137
    That would be a great tool for forensic police !
  • Reply 28 of 137
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    To be fair, I was more than a little surprised Monday to see that President Obama is asking the Supreme Court to quickly rule that warrant-less GPS tracking is permissible. According to the Administration there is no expectation of privacy when traveling outside of your home.
  • Reply 29 of 137
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    People, give https://oo.apple.com a try (you must go there with your iOS 4 device). According to Apple this opts you out of using your personal data for use for iAds. One Apple support superior reportedly gave out this advice after being confronted with this new application that shows your locations.
  • Reply 30 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GizmoPunk View Post

Would you change your mind about the tracking database being 'no big deal' if you were subjected to this? http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20055431-1.html

Ho lee shit. There's no way they'll be able to do that for long. That is seriously fucked.
  • Reply 31 of 137
    Isn't Apple supposed to make some kind of announcement today? I can't remember what it is off the top of my head...
  • Reply 32 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Last straw for me. Sold.

What is it you think Jobs and Obama were talking about at that technology innovators' dinner? THEY WERE SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER!!

/cue string crescendo
  • Reply 33 of 137
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    This should concern us all. It is negligence on Apples part for failing to inform users that their location is being tracked and logged. It is also bad that they are not securely storing that information. This needs to be explained by Apple ASAP.
  • Reply 34 of 137
    stevetimstevetim Posts: 482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EDemerzel View Post

[*]The gathering of this information has already been disclosed by Apple.

This is not true based on all the reports I've read.
  • Reply 35 of 137
    n42n42 Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Ho lee shit. There's no way they'll be able to do that for long. That is seriously fucked.

One can only hope..
  • Reply 36 of 137
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    This reminds me of when a bud was reviewing photos on his phone, and inadvertently clicked "Places"--there it was, every location where he ever took a photo was plotted out on a map. Kinda cool, kinda scary, kinda documented.

I, for one, can't wait to get home and back up my phone so I can make that animation myself. Home...work...home...work...gas station...thrift store...home...work...geeking out over this one.
  • Reply 37 of 137
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EDemerzel View Post

Let us just review the facts for a minute:
    • Zero indication that this information is being sent anywhere including to Apple.

• Getting this file would require access to your phone or a computer that you have sync'd to.

• The gathering of this information has already been disclosed by Apple.

Now maybe apple could have encrypted this file, but once again it isn't being transmitted.

If you are worried about your computer that you are sync'd to then encrypt your backup. It is an option in iTunes.

The point is that the data is in an unencrypted file. I don't think apple did that on purpose. I found where they acknowledged that they were collecting it:

http://markey.house.gov/docs/applema...ton7-12-10.pdf

The AI article: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...s_privacy.html

(their response to the government's question on the matter) and how they strongly value user's privacy (which they most likely do) Which makes this error a bigger deal.

Whenever a bank app (or something similar) has a similar issue (storing data without encryption) it's a BIG DEAL because it's not encrypted. In that case, you would also still need access to the phone, but it's still easily accessible if someone does.

Again, I am not calling Apple out on this. I'm pretty sure it was just a mistake on their part and they'll have a firmware update to fix it soon enough. But Having your location data (even IF you gave consent to have that location data tracked by apple) available in an unencrypted file does warrant discussion, and it's not something anyone should be ok with.
  • Reply 38 of 137
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

did you read anything about the app you were using? the app intentionally will not show data as accurately as it is being collected in an unencrypted file on your phone.

"One note, if you zoom in on the map, you'll see the points falling into a grid pattern -- the researchers added this as a deliberate limitation in their program. The underlying data is more accurate than the tool shows, to prevent their demo app itself being used for malicious purposes."

Yes indeed, I did read that. Perhaps I understood it and you did not. The grid jitter appears to be a couple of miles at most, so this does not account for recorded locations tens of miles away from places where I have actually been. In any event, the impact on my "privacy" has not been explained by anyone.
  • Reply 39 of 137
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

You're going to pin this on Obama?

Do your homework before you make yourself look like more of a moron.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/201...ps-monitoring/
  • Reply 40 of 137
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

This is not true based on all the reports I've read.

Apple disclosed that they were gathering real time location data, and what they were using it for. I don't believe they disclosed that the data was unencrypted (from what I've read).

To R Daneel Olivaw (ETO), let me just clarify that the reason this is news is not that iOS4 is tracking you. The reason it's news is that the data they're gathering wasn't encrypted.