Apple restricts employee time off in May as retail's 10th anniversary approaches

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple retail employees were told this week that they may not request vacation days in late May, which could suggest Apple has something planned for the 10th anniversary of its retail stores.

Retail employees were told this week via e-mail that they may not request days off between May 20 and May 22, AppleInsider has learned. It was said that store managers are "very excited" about those dates, but no other details are available.

Gary Allen of ifoAppleStore.com said the most likely use for those days is a 10th anniversary event commemorating a decade of Apple's brick-and-mortar retail stores. He said it's likely that the company may do something anniversary-related to "attract a crowd" for a few days, but he hasn't heard any specifics.

New Apple products are expected to be announced in the coming weeks and months, particularly a refresh to Apple's iMac line of all-in-one desktops. However, new iMacs with Intel's latest-generation Sandy Bridge processors would not be an event that would compel Apple to institute blackout dates for its employees.

A May launch would also be too early for a new iPhone to debut. Though new iPhones have been released in years past in June, numerous reports have pegged Apple's anticipated iPhone 5 for a later September release.

Apple had employee blackout dates earlier this year as it prepared for two major product launches at the start of 2011: the Verizon iPhone 4 and the iPad 2.

The first two Apple stores opened May 19, 2001 in McLean, Virginia, at the Tyson's Corner Mall, and at the Glendale Galleria in Glendale, Calif. The retail side of Apple's business has become an important part of the growth of the Mac, as the company reports every quarter that about half of all Macs sold in retail stores are to customers who never owned a Mac before.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    jont-ukjont-uk Posts: 25member
    White iPhone 4 anyone - with a free party balloon ?!!
  • Reply 2 of 37
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    Seriously, I've been on the fence between these two and would LOVE to see a new beefy mini with Thunderbolt or even just an ATV with a DVD drive.

:: crosses fingers ::
  • Reply 3 of 37
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Retail employees were told this week via e-mail that they may not request days off between May 20 and May 22, AppleInsider has learned.

The first two Apple stores opened April 19, 2001 in McLean, Virginia, at the Tyson's Corner Mall, and at the Glendale Galleria in Glendale, Calif.

Strange that they would be commemorating a 10 year anniversary at exactly 10 years and 1 month and 1 day...
  • Reply 4 of 37
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    I'm thinking the white iPhone should be out much sooner than that. I bet they will just have some temporary lower prices or something, similar to black friday.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

Apple TV/Mac Mini hybrid?

Sure! Except... Well... that's not really consistent with any speculation as of late or ever. Nor is it consistent with Apple's perceived strategy and approach to the Apple TV, at all. But maybe! Keep your hopes up!
  • Reply 6 of 37
    roockaroocka Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Filmantopia View Post

Sure! Except... Well... that's not really consistent with any speculation as of late or ever. Nor is it consistent with Apple's perceived strategy and approach to the Apple TV, at all. But maybe! Keep your hopes up!

DVD and Bluray are dead!
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Filmantopia View Post

Yeah, I deserve that. I went back and elaborated a bit.

I've really been wondering what the timetable is looking like for a mini refresh. Has any word of such a thing been spotted on the horizon? Here's wishing I missed the big news break on Mac minis. Ha! :: sigh ::
  • Reply 8 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roocka View Post

DVD and Bluray are dead!

If so then Netflix needs to seriously expand its instant play library.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A May launch would also be too early for a new iPhone to debut. Though new iPhones have been released in years past in June, numerous reports have pegged Apple's anticipated iPhone 5 for a later September release.

Numerous reports suggested the iPad 2 would be delayed until Sept just days before Apple launched it in March, so anything is possible.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    Quote:

Seriously, I've been on the fence between these two and would LOVE to see a new beefy mini with Thunderbolt or even just an ATV with a DVD drive.

Ha sorry didn't mean to be so flame-y and sarcastic.

But, mini w/thunderbolt, sure. ATV with DVD drive.... maybe when Apple concurrently decides to re-introduce floppy drives into the mac.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    Quote:

If so then Netflix needs to seriously expand its instant play library.

It's the other way around. When Netflix decides to seriously expand its instant play library, the DVD will be dead.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Numerous reports suggested the iPad 2 would be delayed until Sept just days before Apple launched it in March, so anything is possible.

Which would be in line with AT&T bumping their early upgrade pricing for everyone still using a 3GS... but still it seems hard to believe that Apple would release the 5 while the 4 is doing so well...
  • Reply 13 of 37
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I'm not looking for the iPhone5 or iPad3, which would be the two products that could drive huge traffic.

Lion isn't going to be ready and the iMac isn't going to be that big a deal for many - even if I am planning on buying one.

My guess? Mobile Me related announcements. Or a MobileMe replacement of some type. I'm looking for it to tie iOS and OS X platforms/products even tighter.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    tonkintonkin Posts: 42member
    Greek goddess Maia is a clue. Those in the know feel certain that Apple is about to embark in a new direction by offering a line of clothing heavily dependent on a minimalistic toga theme, combined with hints of app-like spandex accents. Turtle-necks and/or dickies are optional. Of course the multiple iDevice pouches are discrete.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:

Which would be in line with AT&T bumping their early upgrade pricing for everyone still using a 3GS... but still it seems hard to believe that Apple would release the 5 while the 4 is doing so well...

Might not be the 5 but a 4.5 instead. Updated spec to keep it fresh and ahead of the competition. A 5 would take attention away from the iPad 2 at the very time Apple is trying to grow and dominate the emerging tablet market.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

My guess? Mobile Me related announcements. Or a MobileMe replacement of some type. I'm looking for it to tie iOS and OS X platforms/products even tighter.

I keep forgetting about the MobileMe revamp. Can't wait to see what they do with that. Are there any good articles on that yet? I've only found really vague stuff.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    b1937b1937 Posts: 11member
    It's a white iTOUCH!

With Job's picture on the back.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Strange that they would be commemorating a 10 year anniversary at exactly 10 years and 1 month and 1 day...

Supply constraints of party balloons most likely.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    iPad 5, just to blow the competition out of the water completely.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    Apple doesn't do anniversaries - they prefer to do milestones, such as a 10 billion downloads.

I agree and think that MobieMe update is a very strong possibility, as are the iMac and Mac Mini updates.