RIM PlayBook launch disappoints; Intel earnings soar

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When asked whether tablets such as the iPad had softened demand for PCs last quarter, Otellini admitted that tablets had cannibalized PC sales "a little bit," while pointing out that macroeconomics and the post-recession upgrade cycle are bigger causes.

My cousin's been a Windows guy all his life, and several weeks ago just built his PC dream machine - Sandy Bridge, mega RAM, Win 7, the works. But on a whim he also bought an iPad 2 a few weeks later. Now he says he almost never uses the PC and wish he hadn't built it - he can't sing the praises of the iPad 2 loud enough.

So I can see how the iPad could cannibalize PC sales.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    There's an article over at Cnet that's getting a lot of clicks. Apparently some survey reports that people who buy Android devices do so primarily because they hate Apple, not because they like Android. I would suspect that same goes for the Playbook too. I can confirm that, at least in my microcosm, the survey is correct. Those I know who have something other than an iOS device have no problem admitting they absolutely hate Apple, Inc.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    bullheadbullhead Posts: 493member
    The Playbook was DOA. It had zero chance of success. If you want to compete with the iPad you need something very good, very different, and much cheaper. No one in their right mind would buy a crappy clone for the same amount they can get the real thing. You would have to be retarded.

I do not know how anyone at RIM could still have a job after the Playbook failure, the Storm 1+2+... failures, etc... It is clear, they have no clue. The only phones RIM sells are to people who have no choice and are either given or forced to use a crappy Blackberry by their employer. My employer gave me a Blackberry Bold and i gave it back after a week...totally unusable. What a POS those things are.

The iPhone is so far ahead, i do not see anyone catching it. By the time the cloners copy the latest iPhone, Apple innovates and has something new.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I read somewhere today that Google has halted the honeycomb update to Samsung. I wonder what version Intel has, but something is up with Android, so we will see. I'm not sure what it feels like to step in front of freight train of iPads going full speed, but apparently Intel wants to find out.

Could it be the return of the old (or should that be 'young' lol) management re thinking a few things I wonder?
  • Reply 25 of 34
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

There's an article over at Cnet that's getting a lot of clicks. Apparently some survey reports that people who buy Android devices do so primarily because they hate Apple, not because they like Android. I would suspect that same goes for the Playbook too. I can confirm that, at least in my microcosm, the survey is correct. Those I know who have something other than an iOS device have no problem admitting they absolutely hate Apple, Inc.

The irony here is they must be Windows fans (most Linux geeks I know don't 'hate' Apple per se). This in theory, one would think, means if there were a viable Windows tablet they'd drop Android etc. in a heart beat to return to their true love. Of course if that MS mobile OS isn't based on DOS they may find themselves in a quandary!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by iansilv View Post

Whoa! Wow! Wait- you mean the playbook is not selling well??!? Man, thats weird- didn't see that coming... Like a fiery meteor streaking towards Earth!

Rim is run by a couple of idiots.

They may well run RIM into the ground financially trying to take on Apple. I notice RBC have been very positive on AAPL this last year or so which makes me think their attitude to RIM isn't blind faith so much these days.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kdjohn3 View Post

I'll be shocked if they sell more than a few hundred thousand. I'll eat a dog turd if they sell 3 million.

I'd put a time limit on that bet
  • Reply 26 of 34
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    CNET is reporting that AT&T Blackberry customers are not being allowed to bridge to the PlayBook because of bridging's free tethering feature. Blackberry bridging is required to use email or calendar on the PlayBook. This means that in addition to the PlayBook being useless for non-Blackberrry customers, it is also useless to all AT&T blackberry customers. The PlayBook disaster is epic.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I do not think that is the reason..... Most people I know bought an Android phone ( myself included) because the iPhone was not available on networks other than AT&T. About 1/3 of my sales territory is Not covered well by AT&T. That is why I need the Verizon service. If they had had an iPhone last year about this same time I would have it.... I got a Droid as it was the best phone available on Verizon at the time. I own a couple of macs and an iPad. I even talked my boss into letting me get a Macbook Pro as my company computer ( first one in the company ). So I definitely do not Hate Apple...

I know that no one here likes to admit it, but the Android phones do have some nice features that the iPhone lacks and I would hate to give them up to get the iPhone now that it is available on Verizon.

1) Google Maps and navigation is simply better on Android....

2) Android has excellent voice commands and speech recognition is built into the OS... I drive a lot and these voice commands are excellent... I also use the speech to text feature all of the time. On any text input field in any application you can hit the microphone button and simply speak the text. It works great....

3) Having a USB port and basic file system is great. I can download a driver/firmware file to my Droid from the internet. Plug it into the USB port of my customer's computer and copy the file over to it. In my work I often need to do this and it is faster than tethering my phone to the laptop and then moving the file to a USB memory device so that I can get it to the customer's computer. I REALLY wish Apple would give the ability to do this with the IPhone/iPad....

4) Ability to add widgets to the home screens.... Apple REALLY needs to allow this....

5) 4G... A friend has the HTC Thunderbolt and that thing is really fast on the internet....

Now I do not know if these great features make up for the buggy unpolished nature of Android, but they are hard to give up once you get used to them. As for me, I am not going to an iPhone until they at least offer 4G so it will probably be a year or so before I switch from Android. Hopefully, Apple will add some of the above features by then....
  • Reply 28 of 34
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    The PlayBook is DOA.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    davesmalldavesmall Posts: 118member
    RIM has to be the short of the century.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sranger View Post

I do not think that is the reason..... Most people I know bought an Android phone ( myself included) because the iPhone was not available on networks other than AT&T. About 1/3 of my sales territory is Not covered well by AT&T. That is why I need the Verizon service. If they had had an iPhone last year about this same time I would have it.... I got a Droid as it was the best phone available on Verizon at the time. I own a couple of macs and an iPad. I even talked my boss into letting me get a Macbook Pro as my company computer ( first one in the company ). So I definitely do not Hate Apple...

I know that no one here likes to admit it, but the Android phones do have some nice features that the iPhone lacks and I would hate to give them up to get the iPhone now that it is available on Verizon.

1) Google Maps and navigation is simply better on Android....

2) Android has excellent voice commands and speech recognition is built into the OS... I drive a lot and these voice commands are excellent... I also use the speech to text feature all of the time. On any text input field in any application you can hit the microphone button and simply speak the text. It works great....

3) Having a USB port and basic file system is great. I can download a driver/firmware file to my Droid from the internet. Plug it into the USB port of my customer's computer and copy the file over to it. In my work I often need to do this and it is faster than tethering my phone to the laptop and then moving the file to a USB memory device so that I can get it to the customer's computer. I REALLY wish Apple would give the ability to do this with the IPhone/iPad....

4) Ability to add widgets to the home screens.... Apple REALLY needs to allow this....

5) 4G... A friend has the HTC Thunderbolt and that thing is really fast on the internet....

Now I do not know if these great features make up for the buggy unpolished nature of Android, but they are hard to give up once you get used to them. As for me, I am not going to an iPhone until they at least offer 4G so it will probably be a year or so before I switch from Android. Hopefully, Apple will add some of the above features by then....

These are critical things - features that work definitively into your own workflow thatadd value to the Android platform in your case - and why Android makes the most sense for you. Now whether Apple sees those items as "must-haves" for its own user profile for the iPhone depends largely on:

a) whether a significant number of consumers ask for those features

and

b) whether Apple is able to develop a way to deliver them in a way that fits best with the development plan for the platform and can be delivered in a way that fits the iPhone user profile and UI.

Why are these important? Because to capture the widest possible user category you need to deliver a polished and easy-to-use interface and feature set that reflects the mainstream desired features. Your usage profile may be well outside of the average user profile, and therefore not a capture-point, feature-wise. Nice to have is not the same as must have - obviously. The fact that Android leaves so much open to user configuration work well for savvy users, and against average users. Which, while jailbreaking an iPhone adds in those same features means that the jailbroken iPhone moves into that same savvy user profile that is problematic for the average user.

4G will be available when it is more widely deployed, both ATT and VRZ are just starting deployment so only a lucky few so far have routine 4G access. And the jury is still out on how 4G affects battery life. That being said I think from the commentary from friends so far the Thunderbolt is probably the best Android to date, but given the number of releases per year by the handset mfgrs using Android - the next sweet device may be right around the corner.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:

... 3) Having a USB port and basic file system is great. I can download a driver/firmware file to my Droid from the internet. Plug it into the USB port of my customer's computer and copy the file over to it. In my work I often need to do this and it is faster than tethering my phone to the laptop and then moving the file to a USB memory device so that I can get it to the customer's computer. I REALLY wish Apple would give the ability to do this with the IPhone/iPad....

You can do this if you have an iPhone or iPad or iPod touch, but Apple has made it even easier. What you do is simply download the file directly to the computer you want it on.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You can do this if you have an iPhone or iPad or iPod touch, but Apple has made it even easier. What you do is simply download the file directly to the computer you want it on.

Really,

What Apple computer has built in 3G?

As I said before I know I can tether the laptop to phone and download file and then transfer to USB memory stick and then transfer to the customer's computer ( in manufacturing and usually does not have internet access )

Or I can download file on Droid insert USB cable, copy file to computer... ( It really is a lot easier this way )

Again I realize that my needs might be different than most people, but it really is a very basic feature....
  • Reply 33 of 34
    gwilmgwilm Posts: 6member
    All iPhones have always connected to USB thru a cable connected to the 30-pin port.

Quote:

Really,

What Apple computer has built in 3G?

As I said before I know I can tether the laptop to phone and download file and then transfer to USB memory stick and then transfer to the customer's computer ( in manufacturing and usually does not have internet access )

Or I can download file on Droid insert USB cable, copy file to computer... ( It really is a lot easier this way )

Again I realize that my needs might be different than most people, but it really is a very basic feature....

• Reply 34 of 34
    It's just indefensible what RIM is doing with the playbook! Ugh!

My GF's sister's boyfriend is a Business consultant and is so biased against Apple computers, iPhones, laptops, etc.

He's got a blackberry and a Dell laptop connected to a monitor and keyboard in his office and it looks like 1995 when I walk in there with all the cables and pwr bricks. It gives me the willies!

They were vacationing in France and she wanted me to fwd her emails to his BB and it couldn't open 10 emails...I had to send them individually. Sheez!

I love my iPhone 4, my iMac and I know I will love my iPad2 when I can afford it.

Best