Researchers raise privacy concerns over location tracking in Apple's iOS 4

Comments

• Reply 81 of 137
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    The funny thing is that this data has been collected and stored by cellcoms for years, the difference is that it is only accessible to law enforcement with a warrant. If I wanted this data for what ever reason for my wife's cell I couldn't get it. Now I can, don't need a warrant and took a whole 2 mins to get.
  • Reply 82 of 137
    hellacoolhellacool Posts: 759member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno;

More than likely it was just a random bit of code that didn't get removed/finished before the OS shipped.

Nothing nefarious, just human.

Then why store it, back it up and put it in it's own file? Talk about a very organized bit of random code.
  • Reply 83 of 137
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    While I doubt this tracking file is an issue of being "random code", I also am not concerned in the least. My guess is that this is how Apple tracks signal/service failures. Makes perfect sense to do this, and I'm sure most if not all cell phones do this.

Of course as some here have said, the issue is with the non-encryption of said file. Interestingly, we are only hearing about Apple, but what about all these other cell phone companies? Maybe some have encrypted this file, and maybe some haven't, but I don't think anyone here knows which companies fall where on that scale. Seems a bit premature to start pointing fingers.

But more importantly...there seems to be some question over how accurate this file actually is. I can say that even if it gives exact locations at 100% accuracy within 10 inches of where I was for the last 10 years, I really don't care. I cannot think of a single place that I have been in my life where I would need to keep that location private. Not a single one. Of course if I had ever been involved in an extra-marital affair or committed any crimes (besides speeding) then maybe I would think differently. As it stands now, I don't care.
  • Reply 84 of 137
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

This should concern us all. It is negligence on Apples part for failing to inform users that their location is being tracked and logged. It is also bad that they are not securely storing that information. This needs to be explained by Apple ASAP.

Both true. No way to defend this. NONE. This should be opt IN. As in, it asks you if you want to turn it on. Off by default. Also should be encrypted. Someone posted that you can't even turn it off. Yikes. Apple every since Jobs came back is seriously creepy. I honestly trust Google more. And I don't really trust Google. Also I was going to defend Obama. But he's actually creeping me out lately too, with his betrayal of whistle-blowers, Big Brother DoJ, etc. He probably has dinner with Bush and Cheney. It's all f'd. It's a one-way street though folks, there's no escaping it. Unless you live off the grid. But on the plus side, you can do Facebook on the elevator or waiting at the dentist.
  • Reply 85 of 137
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

.. I cannot think of a single place that I have been in my life where I would need to keep that location private. Not a single one. Of course if I had ever been involved in an extra-marital affair or committed any crimes (besides speeding) then maybe I would think differently. As it stands now, I don't care.

You've probably never been stalked or had to worry about an abusive spouse tracking you down, or a particular criminal element finding witness, but other people do.
  • Reply 86 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

You've probably never been stalked or had to worry about an abusive spouse tracking you down, or a particular criminal element finding witness, but other people do.

You are correct. I have never had to deal with the things you mention, and this is a contributing factor of why I don't care. Not only that, but I am just fine if Apple never encrypts this file.
  • Reply 87 of 137
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Last straw for me. Sold.

I don't invest in unethical stocks.

All right .... two more shares for sale ! ....
  • Reply 88 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

Something that occurred to me regarding your scenarios...

So for a stalker/abusive spouse/criminal element to have this location information, they would basically be stealing your phone or computer, or otherwise accessing them without permission. Why would they do this? It's only going to tell them where you have been, and not where you are, so I don't see the point.

It seems to me that if they can get to your phone and/or computer, then they can much more easily get to you instead. And I would think this would be their primary goal, right? I mean what do they care if you went to Pizza Hut on March 3?
  • Reply 89 of 137
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Lawsuits here we go.
  • Reply 90 of 137
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

So for a stalker/abusive spouse/criminal element to have this location information, they would basically be stealing your phone or computer, or otherwise accessing them without permission. Why would they do this? It's only going to tell them where you have been, and not where you are, so I don't see the point.

It seems to me that if they can get to your phone and/or computer, then they can much more easily get to you instead. And I would think this would be their primary goal, right? I mean what do they care if you went to Pizza Hut on March 3?

Well my stalker would know that I have spent three days a week in Denver and 4 days a week home for the past few months. They would know where I go routinely in both places. So umm yeah might give them a leg up on figuring out where I am right now. Or at least finding my iOS Devices

Did I mention how much I thought this was a non-story last year and now just think it is kind of cool because there is a neat program. (Although it could be snappier).
  • Reply 91 of 137
    champchamp Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

It's a new MobileMe service called: Find My girlFriend!

More like "Find me a girlfriend"
  • Reply 92 of 137
    Quote:

Brick through window, ipad gone. Most people visit a place more than once. Knowing where people have been will tell you where they are likely to go again—useful info for merchants, the po po, and criminals. At the least, a company secretly tracking its customers whereabouts comes with a pretty high built in "creepy" quotient. Do you really want a bald, black T-shirt wearin' aging, ailing, wealthy hipster all up in yo bidniz? If Stevie knows where you are, he knows where he can find a healthy pink liver or kidney if he needs one in a pinch and knows you have a compatible blood type.
  • Reply 93 of 137
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EDemerzel View Post

Let us just review the facts for a minute:
    • Zero indication that this information is being sent anywhere including to Apple.

• Getting this file would require access to your phone or a computer that you have sync'd to.

• The gathering of this information has already been disclosed by Apple.

Now maybe apple could have encrypted this file, but once again it isn't being transmitted.

If you are worried about your computer that you are sync'd to then encrypt your backup. It is an option in iTunes.

This is pathetic. Someone violates your privacy and you are ok because there is no indication that the information is being sent anywhere?. Are you fucking serious?. Perhaps you wouldn't mind if i tap your phone calls if i promise it's not being sent anywhere. Or maybe you wouldn't mind if i put a keystroke logging device on your machine if i promise that there will be no indication that the data file created with all your passwords is not being sent anywhere, including to me.

The gathering of this information has already been disclosed by Apple?.. bullshit!!. Not when apple fans have been all over google privacy practices. I personally know of someone who boasted that he would never buy a google phone due to privacy concerns.. you telling me this person knew that Apple was collecting this info?.. Apple disclosed this?.. to who?.. you and your pet?.
  • Reply 94 of 137
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:

You are correct. I have never had to deal with the things you mention, and this is a contributing factor of why I don't care. Not only that, but I am just fine if Apple never encrypts this file.

Ok, we get you are a rabid apple fan.. you do know you can still love steve jobs without making dumb statements right?. You don't care that someone is tracking your movements?. really?. Can you locate the file and send it to me?.. since you don't mind.. in fact, for everyone on this forum that is ok with this, send me the data file. Hey, if you don't mind apple secretly collecting this info, you wouldn't mind giving it to me.
  • Reply 95 of 137
    Personally, I'm kinda bummed that this app that they released has been limited in a few ways. I understand their reasoning, but I'd love to have the option to view the animation with frames by the hour instead of by the week. I find it quite fascinating.
  • Reply 96 of 137
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    OH MY GOD! My own data is being stored on my own devices, and only on my own devices? What ever will I do?
  • Reply 97 of 137
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Ok, we get you are a rabid apple fan.. you do know you can still love steve jobs without making dumb statements right?. You don't care that someone is tracking your movements?. really?. Can you locate the file and send it to me?.. since you don't mind.. in fact, for everyone on this forum that is ok with this, send me the data file. Hey, if you don't mind apple secretly collecting this info, you wouldn't mind giving it to me.

Oh ye of low intellectual ability! Your own location data is being collected on your own device! Period. (BTW, my camera does that too with geotagging.) As to collecting your location data and not having it on your device, guess what moron? Your cellular carrier does that. And provides that data to the US govt when ordered to. So take your head out of your butt.
  • Reply 98 of 137
    It looks like Apple were beaten to it ...

http://www.theonion.com/video/cias-f...cys-cos,19753/

• Reply 99 of 137
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 100 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Oh ye of low intellectual ability! Your own location data is being collected on your own device! Period. (BTW, my camera does that too with geotagging.) As to collecting your location data and not having it on your device, guess what moron? Your cellular carrier does that. And provides that data to the US govt when ordered to. So take your head out of your butt.

Low intellectual ability?

When your own location data collecting phone is stolen or lost, your own location collecting data goes with it, then voila! Your own location data is now in someone else's hand. N'est-ce pas? Well in yet another persons hands, in addition to Apple's.

You should be able to decide what, who, and how information that tracks your location is used or given to on principle, if not practicality. Wouldn't you at least like the admission that such data is being collected buried somewhere in the tiny, tiny fine print of documentation that comes with the device so they can at least pretend that you agreed to it? For some reason, the phrases, "I'll only put it in a little way, then I'll pull it right out. I promise." and "Congratulations, it's a boy!" come to mind.

I believe I read that you need a warrant of some kind to get someone's cellular carrier tracking data. Do you think people who steal cell phones with the intent of using location data for nefarious purposes list "nefarious purposes" when they fill out an application for a warrant, because thieves ALWAYS get permission from a judge before they use your stolen tracking data, so they have to put something down, right?