Any DRIVERS out there?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
No, this isn't about:

- VW commercials

- why your @$!%#$% scanner doesn't work in OS X

- what Tiger is smacking his balls with these days (<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=001449"; target="_blank">that's covered in this thread</a>)

I'm talking about people like <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000180&p=1"; target="_blank">Jonathan driving 160 mph</a> (hopefully not in a school zone).

It's about BMW fanatics driving <a href="http://www.emansworld.com/ring.html"; target="_blank">the legendary Nürburgring</a>.

Remember, it's not the size of the turbo that counts, but how late you apex.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    I wanted to leave <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=001437&p=2"; target="_blank">Mark's "chick" car thread</a> alone. Sorry, Mark. You have a very nice car. Really.
  • Reply 2 of 30
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    I drive a 1996 Honda Civic sedan. On my way home tonight a Buick Regal that had been behind me pulled up next to me at a stoplight. I knew he was going to try to ace me out and get to the freeway on-ramp first. He did. I was embarrassed. :o

Is that like what happens on the legendary Nürburgring?
  • Reply 3 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by CaseCom:

Is that like what happens on the legendary Nürburgring?<hr></blockquote>

It's about the same.

• Reply 4 of 30
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Are you talking about that legendary 86 hour endurance race?

I believe that mazda has a good history there. But not as good as at Bathurst, the race with the most fatalies in the world. I think Rx-7's have won in Bathurst for 8 of the past 10 years.

So no, I don't drive at nurburging or whatever it's called, but I DO, light it up at the William F. Bolger Center when everyone leaves. . . That place is also known as "The Laguna Seca of Bethesda" by my friends and I.

[quote]Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights:

<strong>Sorry-- I feel compelled to defend the 928/944/968 a little bit.

By the time it died, the 928 was up to 5.4 liters, with 345 hp.

What's cool about turbos is that I can get 24+ mpg highway when I don't get into it, and dip as low as 10 when I really hammer it.

The late 1980s-early 1990s Porsche was a bit like the Macintosh. They were overpriced for the what you got on paper. My car originally retailed for $48,000 in 1989, when Corvettes were less than $30,000. Their quality control was atrocious.

Corrados can be just as fast, as I've seen on the track. Hondas can beat me at the light. Corvettes are the best performance/value out there.

But drive a Porsche on the track. Hammer the gas. Stomp on the brakes. Over and over again. That's what this car was designed for. I get goose bumps just thinking about it. This was not for cruising Woodward Ave.

(Actually, the 3rd gen RX-7 was the other car I was considering. Curb weight of 2800lb without an aluminum body like the NSX is amazing.)

But would you settle for a 2nd gen RX-7 Turbo? Exactly.

Speed Thrills!</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, I really like the 928, since it was fast and looked good, especially when it came out. Now it's a bit dated. The 944 is cool because they can be had for CHEAP these days. But the 968 is still overpriced (used) and it's performance that I've seen is not in anyway notable. I absolutely blew the doors off of one a few months ago (actually a white, manual, hardtop driven by a man) at a casual intersection line up. I even beat him through 1st gear, before the wild&wonderful 2nd gear of death (tm). (The No. 2 comes on in full force by that time, and the 30-80 acceleration must take about 3 seconds.)

As for handling, I test drove a 968 hardtop once, and was not impressed. It's just too heavy, and the body feels like it's rolling too much. I have Potenza S03's and nice shocks on my Rx-7, which also has 50/50 balance. It holds road like nobody's business and doesn't roll at all. You can really feel the point at which the wheels are starting to lose grip. I didn't feel so confident in the Porsche.

I like Porsches, but I think they are WAY overpriced. The 911 is quite a machine, though. they're handbuilt in a country with high labor costs. . . If I had $110,000 I could have a supremely dominant race car if I had it custom built in the States out of British, Japanese, and American parts.

Basically I'm referring to a turbocharged Mazda 20B sitting in an Ultima GTR shell. Street legal, 1800 lbs, 700hp. In truth, more than a match for a McLaren, and quite possibly more than a match for than most IMSA cars.

[ 06-27-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 30
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member
    Anyone who believes what the automobile companies portray their cars speeding down highways at breakneck speeds is the reason for buying their cars are idiots.

Automobiles are evil.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Artman @_@:

<strong>Anyone who believes what the automobile companies portray their cars speeding down highways at breakneck speeds is the reason for buying their cars are idiots.

Automobiles are evil. </strong><hr></blockquote>

What if you make a practice of speeding at breakneck speeds?
  • Reply 7 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

I like Porsches, but I think they are WAY overpriced. The 911 is quite a machine, though. they're handbuilt in a country with high labor costs. . . If I had $110,000 I could have a supremely dominant race car if I had it custom built in the States out of British, Japanese, and American parts.

<hr></blockquote>

The 944/968/928 were certainly overpriced in their day. The current 911 are more "reasonable," (compare to NSX, for example) but I'm not a big fan of them. Except for the 911 Turbo. Sure it's $120,000, but it can make my grandmother look like Hans Stuck. And drive like him, too.

I don't want to make this a Porsche v. Mazda thread, as I've mentioned before that the RX-7 is a nice car. I'd get one. Besides, there's a little 24-hour race in France where they can settle that (13 to 1 is the current score, I think).

Besides, the 944 design dates back to at least 1982, and mine is a 1989 model, while yours is a 1994 (1993 introduction), I think. That means I should get 1/4 lap head start - an old-timers handicap.
  • Reply 8 of 30

Automobiles are evil. <hr></blockquote>

Well, I'm glad you've seen the light, unlike unrepentant sinners like myself.

So while you're walking to work, to the store, to Grandma's house, I'm driving these spawns of Satan to my personal hell. And grinning all the way!
  • Reply 9 of 30

<strong>

I don't want to make this a Porsche v. Mazda thread, as I've mentioned before that the RX-7 is a nice car. I'd get one. Besides, there's a little 24-hour race in France where they can settle that (13 to 1 is the current score, I think).

Besides, the 944 design dates back to at least 1982, and mine is a 1989 model, while yours is a 1994 (1993 introduction), I think. That means I should get 1/4 lap head start - an old-timers handicap.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Neither do I want to make it Porsche vs. Mazda. I like Porsches a lot, but my wallet does not. That's my only point.

And just for the record, the documentation seems to indicate that I have 96. It's officially a 95, but it was built in mid december 95, on the same line as the Japanese 96's. Plus, as far as I can tell, the engine is the slightly revised one found in the 96s. So I'll give you a 1/3 lap head start.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    artman @_@artman @_@ Posts: 2,546member

<strong>

Well, I'm glad you've seen the light, unlike unrepentant sinners like myself.

So while you're walking to work, to the store, to Grandma's house, I'm driving these spawns of Satan to my personal hell. And grinning all the way!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Praise the Lard! I've SEEN the LIGHT. Well, headlights I mean...

No, I have nothing against automobiles (except that they will destroy the Earth's atmosphere faster than cow farts). Just the commercials...absolute idiosy. Cars flying, jumping, climbing, swimming and talking...gimme a break. Has four wheels, brakes and a affordable price tag? SOLD! Now shut up...
  • Reply 11 of 30

No, I have nothing against automobiles (except that they will destroy the Earth's atmosphere faster than cow farts). Just the commercials...absolute idiosy. Cars flying, jumping, climbing, swimming and talking...gimme a break. Has four wheels, brakes and a affordable price tag? SOLD! Now shut up... <hr></blockquote>

Wow. Do you get that, too? Where you're crossing the road, and a car is coming, and as I'm halfway across the road, I can't seem to keep from stopping, and staring at the light.

Sorry-- I haven't seen many recent American commercials. I remember an Audi commercial with an Elvis impersonator. I liked that one, and now Elvis dancing dolls are hot in Germany.

I also agree with you that cars are about as bad as cow and sheep fart. I've been urging good public transportation, and promoting bike paths in the States for some time now. Telecommuting is good. I've even advocated raising gas prices. Seriously.

I would like Americans to drive less, so that the air gets cleaner, there are few cars on the street, oil supplies last longer, and so that I can drive in peace with lots of gas with no friggin' traffic.

Ah... the American dream.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

Plus, as far as I can tell, the engine is the slightly revised one found in the 96s. So I'll give you a 1/3 lap head start. <hr></blockquote>

Well now, up from 1/4 to 1/3. I'll take it. As much as I love to drive, I'm actually pretty lousy at it, and I'll take any advantage I can get.

I hope there's still time for me. One of the guys in our car club back in Detroit raced in the 24 hours of Daytona a few years back. He was between 65 and 70 years old at the time, and he did really well. He doesn't even yell all that much when he's instructing me, and I think I only really, really scared him a couple of times. Or more.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    tigerwoods99tigerwoods99 Posts: 2,633member
    There are some pretty good drivers out there. Taylor made is coming out with the new 500 series, but right now the 300 series which are good have been reduced in price considerably. The 300 series are the most popular drivers on the PGA Tour. Personally, I play component heads and have an Integra S450 w/ a Grafalloy Prolite Elite shaft. I'd look into the new Cobra SS drivers, they are good.

Oh, whoops...

• Reply 14 of 30
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    The new Nike drivers kick tons of ass. I hit one this weekend and it is the BEST.

Oh, me woops too....

Oh ya, I like to drive cars. But it really sucks having a 300hp V-12 and an automatic transmission.
  • Reply 15 of 30

<strong>

No, I have nothing against automobiles (except that they will destroy the Earth's atmosphere faster than cow farts). </strong><hr></blockquote>

Unless you live in a nuclear powered area of the country, riding the electrically-powered train destroys the atmosphere too. And I don't think fossil fuel plants have catalytic converters. If you live in a coal zone, you're probably hurting the atmosphere hugely by riding the train, as opposed to driving.

Anyway, I agree to some extent about the pollution. But since I only put about 2000 miles a year onto my odometer, I figure that they may as well be good ones.

[quote]There are some pretty good drivers out there. Taylor made is coming out with the new 500 series, but right now the 300 series which are good have been reduced in price considerably. The 300 series are the most popular drivers on the PGA Tour. Personally, I play component heads and have an Integra S450 w/ a Grafalloy Prolite Elite shaft. I'd look into the new Cobra SS drivers, they are good.

<hr></blockquote>

Dude, the integra comes in RS, GSR, and Type R. Some people will swap in a Prelude 2.2, but that's rare. And the Cobra is an SVT, not an SS. The Camaro and Firebird come as SS models. Get your facts straight.

My sister (handicap = 5) shoots with Callaway's.

[ 06-27-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]

[ 06-27-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>
  • Reply 16 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

The new Nike drivers kick tons of ass. I hit one this weekend and it is the BEST.

Oh, me woops too....

<hr></blockquote>

I can't hit those little balls to save my life. I have a set of Pings back in the States, and every time I try to hit the golf ball, the door handle gets in the way, or I'm in the wrong gear, or my passenger is yelling incoherently. That makes it tough to concentrate.

[quote]

Oh ya, I like to drive cars. But it really sucks having a 300hp V-12 and an automatic transmission.<hr></blockquote>

When are you going to get rid of that thing? A BMW M5 makes 400 with only a V8, and only have a one in ten chance of burning down in your garage.

&lt;obscure movie reference&gt;Of course, that means no more hand jobs from women you barely know.&lt;/reference&gt;
  • Reply 17 of 30
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member

<strong>

When are you going to get rid of that thing? A BMW M5 makes 400 with only a V8, and only have a one in ten chance of burning down in your garage.

&lt;obscure movie reference&gt;Of course, that means no more hand jobs from women you barely know.&lt;/reference&gt;</strong><hr></blockquote>

When will I get rid of it? When people stop telling me I have a bitchin' car. When I can afford an XK8. When I stop getting hand jobs from women I barely know, etc.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    _ alliance __ alliance _ Posts: 2,070member
    i think ill stay out of this car thread while i still have the chance...
  • Reply 19 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by _ alliance _:

i think ill stay out of this car thread while i still have the chance... <hr></blockquote>

It's a dying, driving thread (uh... dying is modifying "thread" in this case).
  • Reply 20 of 30
    jrcjrc Posts: 817member

<strong>No, this isn't about:

- VW commercials

- why your @$!%#$% scanner doesn't work in OS X

- what Tiger is smacking his balls with these days (<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=001449"; target="_blank">that's covered in this thread</a>)

I'm talking about people like <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000180&p=1"; target="_blank">Jonathan driving 160 mph</a> (hopefully not in a school zone).

It's about BMW fanatics driving <a href="http://www.emansworld.com/ring.html"; target="_blank">the legendary Nürburgring</a>.

Remember, it's not the size of the turbo that counts, but how late you apex.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not really sure what you're talking about. Buy my 4-cylinder, Dodge Caravan that cost NEW $14,000 on the lowest-speed-rated rubber money can buy, has done over 115 mph.

Almost daily I drive over 100 mph with my VALENTINE ONE protecting my assets.

Pretty good for only THREE forward gear automatic tranny, with no OD.

Of course my older car with a 350 and Holley Quad would top out MUCH higher than that. Still only 3 forward gears, too.