Researchers raise privacy concerns over location tracking in Apple's iOS 4

Comments

• Reply 101 of 137
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 102 of 137
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Woke up to the alarmist headline on the website of our local daily broadsheet, expected the worst. Turns out to be a storm in a teacup.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by EDemerzel View Post

Let us just review the facts for a minute:
    • Zero indication that this information is being sent anywhere including to Apple.

• Getting this file would require access to your phone or a computer that you have sync'd to.

• The gathering of this information has already been disclosed by Apple.

Now maybe apple could have encrypted this file, but once again it isn't being transmitted.

If you are worried about your computer that you are sync'd to then encrypt your backup. It is an option in iTunes.

Exactly. To be honest I assumed there would be location tracking on the phone, and as long as it's not being sent to anyone, I'm not worried.
  • Reply 103 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

This is pathetic. Someone violates your privacy and you are ok because there is no indication that the information is being sent anywhere?. Are you fucking serious?. Perhaps you wouldn't mind if i tap your phone calls if i promise it's not being sent anywhere. Or maybe you wouldn't mind if i put a keystroke logging device on your machine if i promise that there will be no indication that the data file created with all your passwords is not being sent anywhere, including to me.

The gathering of this information has already been disclosed by Apple?.. bullshit!!. Not when apple fans have been all over google privacy practices. I personally know of someone who boasted that he would never buy a google phone due to privacy concerns.. you telling me this person knew that Apple was collecting this info?.. Apple disclosed this?.. to who?.. you and your pet?.

LOL Wow so much hate from someone that I don't know. I usually only generate that from people that love me!

I actually was serious. This is not the end of the world some people like yourself make it out to be. I'm sorry that you can't "Google" and find where they talk about the data they collect last year. This information was included. Did they specifically say what file that information was collected in? No. Why? Because releasing that information would be stupid and set people up for issues that these two have done be not only releasing this information and not a general statement that it was being tracked but also an application that can read this information.

You really ought to research before jumping to conclusions. Now do I think that Apple is incorrect in what they have done? Yes absolutely. The file should have been encrypted. I don't think anyone is saying different. Hopefully Apple will fix that in sooner rather than later release.

Before you try to accuse me of being an apple fanboi or whatever I will say that while I have used Apple products for years I also use PCs and and Android devices. I like all of them for different reasons and certainly not simply drinking the Apple koolaid. I simply believe this not be be the huge issue that you seem to.
  • Reply 104 of 137
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

When other companies make mistakes that involve privacy the rules here require that we call them "evil".

Sure, it's just a simple error, anyone can make a mistake.

But consider this report at Apple Insider from July 2010:

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...s_privacy.html

So Apple made explicit reference to this last year, but just forgot to do anything about it in the 9 months since?

Here in the Apple Insider forums the local custom is clear: two companies, two standards.

I don't call them evil. The only company I consider "Evil" when it comes to data is Facebook. At least for the moment.
  • Reply 105 of 137
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    CSI NY are always getting this sort of data from car GPS systems ...
  • Reply 106 of 137
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

Brick through window, ipad gone. Most people visit a place more than once. Knowing where people have been will tell you where they are likely to go again?useful info for merchants, the po po, and criminals. At the least, a company secretly tracking its customers whereabouts comes with a pretty high built in "creepy" quotient. Do you really want a bald, black T-shirt wearin' aging, ailing, wealthy hipster all up in yo bidniz? If Stevie knows where you are, he knows where he can find a healthy pink liver or kidney if he needs one in a pinch and knows you have a compatible blood type.

That is hilarious , if steve needs an organ from me, he knows he need only ask.

As for Apple secretly tracking me, I have always been under the impression that all cell phones do this, so it isn't new. You are always connected (except when there is no signal), and your phone is always pinging the system. Of course they know where you are. This isn't specific to Apple or the iPhone. And I am always seeing shows (non-fiction, documentary style) that are depicting crime stories and how they track the cell phone to rescue the abducted woman...or something to that effect. Or finding people lost and stranded in the mountains.
  • Reply 107 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

How confident are you that this file cannot be accessed by any of the apps you've downloaded?

Confident? I think you missed my point. I am not arguing that it is inaccessible or secure. I could care less if anyone knows where I was last Tuesday, or last November, or in 1997. This knowledge isn't going to do anyone any good. Again unless I was committing a crime, then the police could use it to their benefit. Since I am clean, I don't have anything to worry about.
  • Reply 108 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

Ok, we get you are a rabid apple fan.. you do know you can still love steve jobs without making dumb statements right?. You don't care that someone is tracking your movements?. really?. Can you locate the file and send it to me?.. since you don't mind.. in fact, for everyone on this forum that is ok with this, send me the data file. Hey, if you don't mind apple secretly collecting this info, you wouldn't mind giving it to me.

Correction...

If someone goes to the hassle of stealing my phone, or hacking into it Mission: Impossible style to get this secret yet unencrypted location file, which is extremely silly, then the part that I don't care about is them knowing where I have been since I bought the phone. This file doesn't allow them to track me in the present. It would only tell them where i was in the past. Who cares about the past? It doesn't tell them my social security number, or my bank balance. Why would I care that they can figure out that I was at the Bowling Alley last Saturday? And more importantly, why would they go to all this trouble, and break laws to get this info? If they can figure out a way to do all this, get away with it, and use this past location info against me somehow, then more power to them.
  • Reply 109 of 137
    You all think this story was eye opening? Better read THIS!:

"Cops Use Mobile Scanner To Steal Cellphone Data From Innocent Americans"

Video:

http://www.prisonplanet.com/cops-use...americans.html

"The high-tech device works with 3000 different phone models and can bypass passwords to process “Complete extraction of existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags,” according to CelleBrite, the company behind the device. “The Physical Analyzer allows visualization of both existing and deleted locations on Google Earth. In addition, location information from GPS devices and image geotags can be mapped on Google Maps.”

“A US Department of Justice test of the CelleBrite UFED used by Michigan police found the device could grab all of the photos and video off of an iPhone within one-and-a-half minutes,” reports TheNewspaper.com."

[continued]

Judge Andrew Napolitano covered this on his show Freedom Watch tonight too! Video:

http://usaguns.net/patriot/pg/videos...merica-4202011
  • Reply 110 of 137
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    I'm just gonna throw something out there here, as crazy as you all will think this. Take your iPhone and turn it upside down. Look at the Ap Store symbol. It looks eerily like the Freemason's symbol. Open up your finder on your Mac, the eighth icon at the top is the all seeing eye of horus.

Just sayin'.
  • Reply 111 of 137
    I heard the phone also stores all your SMS conversations, emails, call history, application data, browser history and personal photos.
  • Reply 112 of 137
    In related news, Mac fans still deny the world is round, and when faced with evidence, use a car analogy comparing a BMW to a walrus.
  • Reply 113 of 137
    I find it frightening that the majority of the posters here see this as 'no big deal'... You have been brainwashed by the technology you blindly worship. Apple has no reason (that's legit) to track your movements at all times. This is the first step in creating a 'police state'. To see so many of you followers aggressively defending this sort of behavior is scary to say the least. I bet the majority of you would have no issue with Apple implanting 'chips' in your necks... right under the collars they have around your throats.
  • Reply 114 of 137
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eswinson View Post

I heard the phone also stores all your SMS conversations, emails, call history, application data, browser history and personal photos.

ZOMFG!!1! Won't someone please think of the children!!
  • Reply 115 of 137
    I don't think this is some government conspiracy but there is one real issue and thats theft. I've had a few friends have a couple of drinks and lose their bag, which has phone and keys in. So thief plugs in iPhone, checks this unencrypted file, sees where you are every evening, takes yours keys and robs your house. Or if you get mugged, recovering in a&e having been hit in the head with a brick (happened to 2 friends) they steal your stuff from home because your iPhone all but gives your home address to them.

A stolen iPhone is a gem of a find now, because you can find the victims home.
  • Reply 116 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eswinson View Post

So True ... frightening isn't it!

The biggest threat out there to our safety is storing 'Home' on your car's GPS . Once the thief has stolen your BMW they can use it to find your house and steal your Hi-Fi.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WitchDrAsh View Post

I don't think this is some government conspiracy but there is one real issue and thats theft. I've had a few friends have a couple of drinks and lose their bag, which has phone and keys in. So thief plugs in iPhone, checks this unencrypted file, sees where you are every evening, takes yours keys and robs your house. Or if you get mugged, recovering in a&e having been hit in the head with a brick (happened to 2 friends) they steal your stuff from home because your iPhone all but gives your home address to them.

A stolen iPhone is a gem of a find now, because you can find the victims home.

Don't forget the second you lose your iPhone, log into MobileMe and track the location of the iPhone and get the police to nab the thief first.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alpha_Male View Post

I find it frightening that the majority of the posters here see this as 'no big deal'... You have been brainwashed by the technology you blindly worship. Apple has no reason (that's legit) to track your movements at all times. This is the first step in creating a 'police state'. To see so many of you followers aggressively defending this sort of behavior is scary to say the least. I bet the majority of you would have no issue with Apple implanting 'chips' in your necks... right under the collars they have around your throats.

From what I understand, if your car has a GPS the same situation is true. From what I read on Android blogs they can do the same thing - some may also do this by default but I am not sure. It's the nature of GPS devices to be able to store waypoints. Frankly, I suspect a phone thief is probably more interested in selling an iPhone than hacking it to use the data to change careers and become a cat burglar. I'd agree encryption of this data is a prudent move.

Meanwhile, don't forget the millions of security cameras in the world today. Put on your foil hat and stay in the basement dude. (I think Beta_Male would suit you better!)
  • Reply 117 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

It looks like Apple were beaten to it ...

http://www.theonion.com/video/cias-f...cys-cos,19753/

Thank you so much for this link. Best laugh I've had in ages.
  • Reply 118 of 137
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

That is hilarious , if steve needs an organ from me, he knows he need only ask.

I'm only concerned for the safety of others' innards. I'm safe. I'm still surprised I lived through college. Trust me, Stevie don't want my liver. It's probably road kill the size of a baby seal.
  • Reply 119 of 137
    This is all just another reason why jailbroken devices should be the standard -- else how are you going to really get a look at the data that's on your device?!
  • Reply 120 of 137
    Oh, lookie here, a solution!:

Untrackerd wipes stored location data on your jailbroken iPhone

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/04/21/untra...broken-iphone/