Verizon announces 2.2M activations of Apple's iPhone in Q1 2011

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Verizon on Thursday announced that it activated 2.2 million iPhone 4 units in the first quarter of 2011, a period in which the handset was on sale for less than two months.

The new numbers arrive alongside data for other, competing handsets available on the Verizon Wireless network. The largest carrier in the U.S. also revealed that it activated more than 260,000 HTC Thunderbolt handsets in two weeks, and more than a half-million 4G devices were activated during the quarter.

The carrier also restated that the launch of the iPhone 4 in February was its most successful launch in the company's history.

The three-month frame to start 2011 is the first time that rival carriers AT&T and Verizon have gone head-to-head in iPhone sales. AT&T, which reported its earnings on Wednesday, revealed that 3.6 million iPhones were activated on its network in the first quarter of 2011, a 33 percent increase from 2010.

However, the AT&T and Verizon numbers are not an apples-to-apples comparison, as the Verizon iPhone did not launch until Feb. 10, or more than a month into the quarter.

Apple announced in its own earnings report on Wednesday that iPhone sales in the U.S. were up 155 percent last quarter. Though Apple does not provide a regional breakdown of iPhone sales, based on activations reported by Verizon and AT&T, the company sold at least 5.8 million handsets in the U.S. last quarter.

Those 2.2 million iPhone 4 activations on the Verizon network helped the carrier grow smartphone sales to more than half of its total phone sales. Last quarter 60 percent of postpaid phones sold by Verizon were smartphone, compared to 49 percent in the fourth quarter of 2010.

Smartphone penetration on the Verizon network is 32 percent, up from 28 percent in the previous quarter. And total data revenue is $5.5 billion, with 22.3 percent year-over-year growth.

Verizon Wireless added 1.8 million customers in the quarter, and now has 104 million total connections. For comparison, AT&T revealed on Wednesday that it added just 62,000 customers in the quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The largest carrier in the U.S. also revealed that it activated more than 260,000 HTC Thunderbolt handsets in two weeks,

And how it possibly outsold iPhone on Verizon based on this number?
  • Reply 2 of 83
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Thunderbolt is not 'Android', Matrix.

- - -

Didn't AI just do a story telling us the Verizon number was 3 Million? That's a pretty inaccurate "rough estimate" in that case, Daniel. Unsurprisingly it just so happens to be an overestimate. An 800,000 overestimate.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    Considering that it was "common knowledge" that Verizon was getting the iPhone in 4Q10 and that it was officially announced on Jan 11, this was a very weak sales report for Verizon.

This 30 second video says it all: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUaFywhywjA
  • Reply 4 of 83
    Quote:

i believe the "analyst" suggested that the thunderbolt was outselling the iPhone at verizon stores only. i'm sure a huge portion of those 2.2 million iPhone 4 sales were done though Apple.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Considering that it was "common knowledge" that Verizon was getting the iPhone in 4Q10 and that it was officially announced on Jan 11, this was a very weak sales report for Verizon.

To be fair some people can't simply dump their contracts. iPhone 5 2011/2012 Verizon numbers should be more revealing.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Thunderbolt is not 'Android', Matrix.

matrix never suggested such a thing... he was referring to this:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...derbolt-sales/
  • Reply 7 of 83
    Whoa! "Verizon Wireless added 1.8 million customers in the quarter, and now has 104 million total connections. For comparison, AT&T revealed on Wednesday that it added just 62,000 customers in the quarter"

If this is true, I can see why AT&T feels it needs to acquire T-mobile to compete.

Just pulled this info from another news article, "Verizon Wireless is pulling in more high-paying subscribers than it has in a year, and 15 times more than rival AT&T."
  • Reply 8 of 83
    Quote:

What is "common knowledge" and "announcement" got anything to do with the sales figures? I had knowledge of the fact that the iPhone was being developed back in 2005. Doesn't mean a thing? Fact is it was on sale for 7 weeks prior to the quarter ending and it sold 2.2mil, which by any account is fantastic for a phone that was released 7 months ago and on a single carrier.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    What I find most amazing is that analysts and pundits have taken to directly judging any Apple device sales by how long a line is outside of a store. I'm fairly sure that's an unprecedented way of tracking high or low sales because I've never heard of any other company having such a phenomenon. Since there were no long lines for the Verizon iPhone it's just easier to assume that sales were weak. That's exactly what the media was indicating because of lack of eager crowds. There is entirely too much negative speculation about Apple everything based on lack of any information.

Considering the iPhone 4 had already been available on AT&T for many months, I think that those Verizon iPhone activations were pretty decent and just icing on the iPhone sales cake. I did HOPE that consumers would be dumping their Android smartphones to get the iPhone, but realistically speaking it would have been unlikely and was.
  • Reply 10 of 83
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    redacted
  • Reply 11 of 83
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

i believe the "analyst" suggested that the thunderbolt was outselling the iPhone at verizon stores only. i'm sure a huge portion of those 2.2 million iPhone 4 sales were done though Apple.

Ah, I see. In other words they boasted about something irrelevant.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    Quote:

To be fair some people can't simply dump their contracts. iPhone 5 2011/2012 Verizon numbers should be more revealing.

People can easily dump their contracts: Their ATT iPhone won't work on Verizon so they can sell it on eBay or Gazelle and use that money for the ETF.

I think that the real issue is that once people finally compared ATT and Verizon, they realized that Verizon costs more, is slower, lacks international coverage, and lacks data/voice multitasking.
  • Reply 13 of 83
    Quote:

Ah, I see. In other words they boasted about something irrelevant.

exactly

ANDROID OUTSELLING iOS BY 100%!*

*at sprint stores.
  • Reply 14 of 83
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by briankeith513 View Post

Whoa! "Verizon Wireless added 1.8 million customers in the quarter, and now has 104 million total connections. For comparison, AT&T revealed on Wednesday that it added just 62,000 customers in the quarter"

If this is true, I can see why AT&T feels it needs to acquire T-mobile to compete.

Just pulled this info from another news article, "Verizon Wireless is pulling in more high-paying subscribers than it has in a year, and 15 times more than rival AT&T."

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...code=financial

"Best-ever first-quarter increase in total wireless subscribers, up 2.0 million to reach 97.5 million subscribers in service, with gains in every category "
  • Reply 15 of 83
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

exactly

*at sprint stores.

Your math is off
  • Reply 16 of 83
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

exactly

ANDROID OUTSELLING iOS BY ∞%!*

*at sprint stores.

Corrected
  • Reply 17 of 83
    Quote:

matrix never suggested such a thing... he was referring to this: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...derbolt-sales/

Except that study turned out to be ridiculous BS that any first year statistics student could easily debunk.
  • Reply 18 of 83
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Quote:

Also let's not forget, every tech report / story / podcast / forum post / etc that trumpeted the arrival of the iPhone on Verizon also was very quick to point out that Apple is almost assured to release the iPhone 5 this summer and buying the Verizon iPhone now wouldn't be wise. It was only later that reports started to surface calling into doubt the iPhone 5 being ready for the normal 'summer release' timeline.
  • Reply 19 of 83
    Quote:

exactly

*at sprint stores.

This isn't smartphone share per se, so it's a bit off topic, but it shows you where Android is going in the future (nowhere).

iOS on iPads only, has already got more share in the US than Linux, (which was supposed to "conquer the desktop" for the last 10 years now).

With Mac OS-X now at 15% and growing at three times the rest of the market, and iOS growing even faster, Android doesn't really have a chance of being much more than a cheap smartphone alternative for the poor.

If these staggering growth rates continue, and if as many people think, iOS and Mac OS-X are going to merge five years or so, well ...
  • Reply 20 of 83
    Quote:

People can easily dump their contracts: Their ATT iPhone won't work on Verizon so they can sell it on eBay or Gazelle and use that money for the ETF.

I think that the real issue is that once people finally compared ATT and Verizon, they realized that Verizon costs more, is slower, lacks international coverage, and lacks data/voice multitasking.

1) Verizon does not cost more

2) VZW 3G is slower, yes.

3) Verizon does have international coverage, although it is not good in Europe. It is fine in Asia though.

4) This is true, although current Verizon customers don't really care about this feature as they've never had it to begin with. Not many people are going to ditch their AT&T iPhone just to buy the same one on Verizon. Some people have, but most of the iPhone's growth on Verizon was from their internal customer base.

5) Verizon has the best service out there, bar none. That's not my opinion - see JD Power and Consumer Reports. It's not even close.