Researchers raise privacy concerns over location tracking in Apple's iOS 4

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 137
    toysandmetoysandme Posts: 243member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Can't apologize this one away - it is what it is... Government spying on its citizens.

Apple products are going to be re-branded by the public replacing the 'I' with 'spy'.

At least now there is some transparency on why Obama and SJ met. Obama has been pushing for more warrantlees domestic spying powers. What better way to get people to willfully, and unexpectedly, participate then to plant it in coveted technology.

Last straw for me. Sold.

I don't invest in unethical stocks.

I know this post is going to get trashed - I also know that regardless of what the usual apologists say, deep down it's bothering their conscious. There has to be a point where freedom and liberty are valued more then profit. Some cross that line before others I guess.

This is no random mistake. This is very intentional. As soon as Obama gets the go-ahead for warrantless wi-fi and cellular spying - this data will be collected and used.

You are quite right. Steve Jobs has already been invited to the White House and Apple was one of the first companies (with Amazon, eBay Paypal, etc.) to do what it could to harm Wikileaks, by removing their app from the iTune store. All in the name of "fighting the terrorists", thanks to the 9-11 false flag operation. You can expect foreign governments to boycott the iPhone in a hurry.
  • Reply 122 of 137
    gmhutgmhut Posts: 242member
    Food for thought.

18 months before the release of the last iPhone and with little fan fare, Senator Jon Kyl introduced legislation that allowed Jobs to file a patent on technology code named, "butterball" after turkey pop-up thermometers. It allows portable communication devices to "taste" the blood type of the device user merely through contact with bare human skin, while simultaneously monitoring vital signs to determine over all health, and to pin point when the user's physical state was optimal for harvesting organs safely to ensure tissue will be viable for transplant. The sensor is designed to "pop when they're done cookin'" then "phone home" with a snap shot of the user's vital statistics and geographical location.

- NotIntendedToBeTakenAsAFactualStatement
  • Reply 123 of 137
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

Food for thought.

18 months before the release of the last iPhone and with little fan fare, Senator Jon Kyl introduced legislation that allowed Jobs to file a patent on technology code named, "butterball" after turkey pop-up thermometers. It allows portable communication devices to "taste" the blood type of the device user merely through contact with bare human skin, while simultaneously monitoring vital signs to determine over all health, and to pin point when the user's physical state was optimal for harvesting organs safely to ensure tissue will be viable for transplant. The sensor is designed to "pop when they're done cookin'" then "phone home" with a snap shot of the user's vital statistics and geographical location.

- NotIntendedToBeTakenAsAFactualStatement

I was believing that for a moment. Really.

What I can't believe is Apple apologists. Not encrypted. just wow. I don't know if I'll ever buy an iPhone now. Apple is The Man. What's next, recording audio of you the whole time the iPhone is on and geotagging it? It's a new "magical" feature that "users want". I'm pro- Big Government but this is too much even for me. I'd looove to here how a tea-bagging republican would defend their iPhone and Apple on this one!
  • Reply 124 of 137
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 125 of 137
    deleted
  • Reply 126 of 137
    deleted
  • Reply 127 of 137
    deleted
  • Reply 128 of 137
    deleted
  • Reply 129 of 137
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

"Why should you care if you have nothing to hide?"

- J. Edgar Hoover

Now that you have posted this quote, a lightbulb has gone off, and I now completely understand what you are saying. I'm really worried what this could lead to. I think I see a black van out on the street. I must go...

--End Transmission--
  • Reply 130 of 137
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Thus far Apple has chosen to conceal its reasoning from the public:

No Apple didn't conceal anything. Apple already said how and why this information is gathered. Read page 6 and 7. Most importantly page 7 paragraph 2. Apple also stated this in their iPhone EULA clause 4b. As stated by many the only concern is why this file is not encrypted on the iPhone. But again this file is your least concern if your phone falls in the wrong hands.
  • Reply 131 of 137
    deleted
  • Reply 132 of 137
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

No Apple didn't conceal anything. Apple already said how and why this information is gathered. Read page 6 and 7. Most importantly page 7 paragraph 2. Apple also stated this in their iPhone EULA clause 4b. As stated by many the only concern is why this file is not encrypted on the iPhone. But again this file is your least concern if your phone falls in the wrong hands.

I just found out that my email, SMS and website requests are sent to a server. That?s worse than some file kept locally, it?s on some server somewhere and out of my hands. What?s Apple doing? Why would they have Safari send my page requests to some unknown server. Why would they use some server to control my email and SMS? OMG they?re coming for me!
  • Reply 133 of 137
    Quote:

That's very generous of you to speak for Apple, but AI reports:

Why doesn't Apple speak for themselves when asked?

I am not speaking for Apple. You said Apple is concealing this and I have just linked you to Apple letter to Congressman Markey dated July 2010 saying they do log Cell tower and WiFi information from users iPhone. Maybe you should read the pages I mentioned instead of posting irrelevant quotes from the article. Apple already spoke... read the linked letter from last year
  • Reply 134 of 137
    deleted
  • Reply 135 of 137
    Quote:

Then why didn't Apple simply refer the researchers to that article when asked, instead of simply refusing to offer any explanation at all?

Bottom line: According to AI, you're presenting an argument Apple themselves did not provide when asked.

Seriously?! Do you think Apple is eagerly waiting to reply to each email they receives about their products?! I am paid iOS developer and have many apps in the App Store and it takes Apple weeks to reply to my emails regarding my developers account and apps questions.

The point is Apple didn't conceal anything and this letter is available to the public and was the talk of the media back then. The researcher should have done better job researching the issue. I didn't have any problems finding this letter in less than 5 minutes.
  • Reply 136 of 137
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Oh ye of low intellectual ability! Your own location data is being collected on your own device! Period. (BTW, my camera does that too with geotagging.) As to collecting your location data and not having it on your device, guess what moron? Your cellular carrier does that. And provides that data to the US govt when ordered to. So take your head out of your butt.

I don't care where my info is collected. The fact that it is collected on my device is irrelevant. Keystroke logging software installed on my machine would collect my passwords on my own device.. would that make me ok with it?. now you resort to calling me names cause i don't want apple collecting my data without muy knowledge.. wow!!.. how pathetic.. is this what passes for logic at whatever college you go to?
  • Reply 137 of 137
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EDemerzel View Post

LOL Wow so much hate from someone that I don't know. I usually only generate that from people that love me!

I actually was serious. This is not the end of the world some people like yourself make it out to be. I'm sorry that you can't "Google" and find where they talk about the data they collect last year. This information was included. Did they specifically say what file that information was collected in? No. Why? Because releasing that information would be stupid and set people up for issues that these two have done be not only releasing this information and not a general statement that it was being tracked but also an application that can read this information.

You really ought to research before jumping to conclusions. Now do I think that Apple is incorrect in what they have done? Yes absolutely. The file should have been encrypted. I don't think anyone is saying different. Hopefully Apple will fix that in sooner rather than later release.

Before you try to accuse me of being an apple fanboi or whatever I will say that while I have used Apple products for years I also use PCs and and Android devices. I like all of them for different reasons and certainly not simply drinking the Apple koolaid. I simply believe this not be be the huge issue that you seem to.

So lets see, you saying that apple violated my privacy and did not release this information because, quoting you "releasing that information would be stupid and set people up for issues"... hmmm.. why haven't the police thought about this?.. i mean, why even obtain a warrant.. just tap your phone, violate your privacy and not tell you about it cause you know it would be stupid to do so.

What do i have to research?.. why the fuck am i researching someone violating my privacy.. what don't you understand?. APPLE IS VIOLATING MY PRIVACY.. what is there to research?.

I also use apple products and only buy apple computers so please, cut the "don't accuse me of being a fanboi" crap. This is the point i was making.. just cause i buy apple stuff don't mean that apple cannot be wrong... apple fans seem to think cause they are hardcore fans, the company can do no wrong.. that's silly.

Personally, i would love to violate your privacy seeing as it's no big deal to you.

Lots of companies invade your privacy but at least they tell you about it.. facebook collects info about you but they tell you.. if you choose to let them, it's on you.. whan a company starts invading your privacy without telling you, then that company is wrong, regardless of whether you buy their products or not. Your fanboi status is irrelevant to the isssue.