iOS location tracking file likely a bug, Apple could address issue with next udpate

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A file that stores a detailed history of the approximate location an iPhone or 3G-equipped iPad has been is a result of a bug in the iOS operating system, and could be addressed by Apple in the next iOS update, according to a new report.

John Gruber of Daring Fireball commented on the controversial location tracking log Thursday. Though he cautioned that he doesn't have a "definitive answer" as to why Apple is storing users' location data in a database file, he has been told it is in fact an error.

"My little-birdie-informed understanding is that consolidated.db acts as a cache for location data, and that historical data should be getting culled but isn't, either due to a bug or, more likely, an oversight," Gruber wrote.

"I.e. someone wrote the code to cache location data but never wrote code to cull non-recent entries from the cache, so that a database that's meant to serve as a cache of your recent location data is instead a persistent log of your location history. I'd wager this gets fixed in the next iOS update."

Though the tracking file has existed since iOS 4 was released last year, and was even recognized before, the information gained traction on Wednesday when a pair of security researchers detailed the issue. They found that the iPhone and 3G-capable iPad are "regularly recording the position" of the devices and saving them in a hidden file.

The data in the consolidated.db file is backed up and restored through iTunes, and can even be transferred to a new device when syncing. Though the information is not shared with Apple or anyone else, the researchers view the file as a potential security threat, as anyone with access to the file could know where a person has traveled since owning an iOS 4-powered device.

Because data collection started with the release of iOS 4 last June, the file can be a comprehensive collection of locations with tens of thousands of data points stored. The location is believed to be determined through cell-tower triangulation, which is less accurate than GPS.

The researchers, Peter Warden and Alasdair Allan, have provided a free tool to the public that allows users to look at their own stored location data. Users are also advised to encrypt their iOS backups through iTunes to maximize security.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    modemode Posts: 163member
    Oops, we accidentally created a very complex algorithm with very specific time stamped tracking data and concealed it in a hidden file on you iDevice...

• Reply 2 of 83
    It's only a bug because someone found it, otherwise, they woul've let it run.
  • Reply 3 of 83
    gozargozar Posts: 8member
    Does anyone know whether this is true of the Verizon iPhone? I can't get the iPhone Tracker program to find consolidated.db.
  • Reply 4 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Because data collection started with the release of iOS 4 last June, the file can be a comprehensive collection of locations with tens of thousands of data points stored.

Not sure this comment is correct. Earlier versions if iOS had h-cells.plist which contained similar information. The link below provides better information.

https://alexlevinson.wordpress.com/2...ing-discovery/
  • Reply 5 of 83
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I just activated Google Latitude a couple weeks ago; and instead of waiting for it to store a long history of locations all while sipping my battery, I could be accessing the data that my iPhone has already been storing over the past 3 years - cool! PLEASE don't remove this in the next update Apple!
  • Reply 6 of 83
    There is no way this is a bug. EVERY cell phone, smart or dumb, can track your location via at a minimum triangulation. If the phone isn't actively storing this information, then a database somewhere at the cell provider sure as heck is. Why? Number one reason is for the government. Number two would be for financial reasons such as targeted advertising on smart phones. If they know where you are, then an ad can pop open in your browser for a nearby business. Again, no way this is a bug. EVERY phone company is tracking you like it or not.
  • Reply 7 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I just activated Google Latitude a couple weeks ago; and instead of waiting for it to store a long history of locations all while sipping my battery, I could be accessing the data that my iPhone has already been storing over the past 3 years - cool! PLEASE don't remove this in the next update Apple!

It is only since June 2010 when iOS 4.0 was released, not the entire history of the iPhone.
  • Reply 8 of 83
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Bug... giggles...
  • Reply 9 of 83
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    You've been bugged.

Or, in keeping with the theme of all the hyper-paranoid comments lately:

BUGS ARE EVERYWHERE!
  • Reply 10 of 83
    maltzmaltz Posts: 453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sommer182 View Post

There is no way this is a bug. EVERY cell phone, smart or dumb, can track your location via at a minimum triangulation. If the phone isn't actively storing this information, then a database somewhere at the cell provider sure as heck is. Why? Number one reason is for the government. Number two would be for financial reasons such as targeted advertising on smart phones. If they know where you are, then an ad can pop open in your browser for a nearby business. Again, no way this is a bug. EVERY phone company is tracking you like it or not.

Yes, but a warrant is needed to access the cell phone company's records. It's not as accessible as an unencrypted file in your iTunes folder. And you can turn off Location Services to prevent sharing location information with advertisers.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Oops, we accidentally created a very complex algorithm with very specific time stamped tracking data and concealed it in a hidden file on you iDevice...

I don't think you read the article. The bug is not the tracking. The bug/oversight is the file or old entries not being deleted after the data is sent to Apple. Apple already outlined how and why this data is being gathered last year.
  • Reply 12 of 83
    Bug? Give me a break...

Atleast they're not claiming it's a magical feature
  • Reply 13 of 83
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gozar View Post

Does anyone know whether this is true of the Verizon iPhone? I can't get the iPhone Tracker program to find consolidated.db.

Are your iPhone backups encrypted?
  • Reply 14 of 83
    If someone has access to that file on your iPhone or iPad I think you'd have a much bigger problem on your hands (ie your call, email, and text histories are also exposed). It's a lot of media FUD.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heavydevelopment View Post

If someone has access to that file on your iPhone or iPad I think you'd have a much bigger problem on your hands (ie your call, email, and text histories are also exposed). It's a lot of media FUD.

You might think to keep sensitive materials out of your emails and texts, since it's known to all that your phone stores that information.

Here, its more problematic since you have no idea (until these issues came to light) that your iPhone is tracking your every move, and until now, had no reason not to bring your iPhone everywhere.
  • Reply 16 of 83
    Saying that is just a bug is like Steve Jobs having sex with your wife and as you happen to catch him as he runs out the door he says"I'm just a magical figment of your imagination. Nothing going on here. Have a great day buddy!"
  • Reply 17 of 83
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Another Apple related story getting blown out of proportion.

If I had to guess what the file was used for, I'd guess for prior history to better guestimate your location when using WiFi and cell tower triangulation. The more data you have the more accurate the guess is.

The other thing I'd like to point out is that if someone got ahold of your phone, they have access to all kinds of data, most importantly your contacts, which contain addresses and phone numbers of places and people you might normally visit.

And while having access to this location history can show where your PHONE has been, I'd be a lot more worried about someone knowing the places that I might show up based off the data in my address book.

This is what we have to deal with if we want the convenience of carrying mobile-do-everything devices. Until there is a way for these devices to know that you are not operating it, security and privacy will always be a concern.
  • Reply 18 of 83
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I hope they make it an option to keep but encrypt.
  • Reply 19 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

It's only a bug because someone found it, otherwise, they woul've let it run.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SHOBIZ View Post

Bug... giggles...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FurbiesAndBeans View Post

Bug? Give me a break...

Atleast they're not claiming it's a magical feature

It never ceases to amaze me how many people just immediately jump to nasty conclusions based on no evidence at all.

Apple has probably one of the most stellar records on privacy in the industry. Yet these same weenies will defend Google to the death when there are multiple, grievous, instances of Google intentionally doing exactly the kind of nefarious things that they are taking Apple to task for. The kind of things Apple has actually never done.

It shows you what's really happening here. It's just plain old irrational hatred of a market leader simply because they are successful. If any of these posters are above the age of 12 or so, you should be ashamed of yourselves.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted