Apple tops Nokia to become world's largest handset maker by revenue

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Are yu being serious or just trolling?

No he is just pimping a shitty web site.

And ALL OF YOU re-quoting his link are helping him do it!
  • Reply 22 of 101
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timmoe View Post

Nokia will regain the leadership because of the deal with Microsoft.

Relying on a Nokia and MS merger to rise to the top is kinda like a banker rounding up a whole lot of high risk/poor performing mortgage accounts (i.e. failures) ..... put them in a special account under a fancy name (can you say credit default swap) ... and sell them to a different "greedy banker" at a discount ...... Oh wait ....
  • Reply 23 of 101
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

When the iPhone was first launched before Android became available, it was many Nokia fans decrying how Nokia phones were already ahead of the iPhone, and that the iPhone would never be accepted in Europe.

None of those people are around any more.

I remember that. Funny how they all disappeared now.
  • Reply 24 of 101
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

"Apple tops Nokia to become world's largest handset maker by revenue"

I.e., if you can convince consumers to pay the Apple tax, you can make a boatload of money...

Ok but when you can get service at one of the many apple stores for free...it's not really a tax. You are just getting what you paid for..ie better performing hardware and better service.
  • Reply 25 of 101
    Apple reports "The company sold 16 million iPhones and made $10.7 billion from the iPhone and accessories alone."

NOTE: "and accessories"

Nokia: "Nokia''s net sales jumped nine per cent to 10.39 billion euros in the first three months of this year. "

10.39 billion Euros = 15.184985 billion U.S. dollars

So where did this new number of 9bn come from perhaps they only chose to count the numbers that suited them.Even the new figure of $11.9 billion doesn't get close to Nokia's $15.2bn.

Kind of like that Jackass in congress talking about the allocation of money used by planned parenthood ....it is interesting how numbers are fudged to match Apple's best skill ........hype.
  • Reply 26 of 101
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

"Apple tops Nokia to become world's largest handset maker by revenue"

I.e., if you can convince consumers to pay the Apple tax, you can make a boatload of money...

I paid Apple tax. My wife said iPhone is the only phone she ever loved (no kidding, she really said that). Guess it turns out alright.
  • Reply 27 of 101
    Quote:

I am serious. The force of Microsoft and Nokia’s combined is unbeatable.

Huh! You are really funny. But maybe big Ballmer equipped with Nokia's patent rubber boots may stop The evil imperium in cupertino.
  • Reply 28 of 101
    Nice story, but irrelevant. (Quantity sold -- once past a certain number, to get obtain critical mass for developers and such -- would be even more irrelevant).

All that matters from a business standpoint is the cash flows. On that front, the non-Apple piece of the handset industry is pretty much a wasteland.
  • Reply 29 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

Relying on a Nokia and MS merger to rise to the top is kinda like a banker rounding up a whole lot of high risk/poor performing mortgage accounts (i.e. failures) ..... put them in a special account under a fancy name (can you say credit default swap) ... and sell them to a different "greedy banker" at a discount ...... Oh wait ....

+1.
  • Reply 30 of 101
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    But I thought Android has won and it's over for Apple
  • Reply 31 of 101
    Who didn't see this outcome from a mile away?
  • Reply 32 of 101
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Analytyx View Post

Apple reports "The company sold 16 million iPhones and made $10.7 billion from the iPhone and accessories alone."

Nokia: "Nokia''s net sales jumped nine per cent to 10.39 billion euros in the first three months of this year. "

So where did this new number of 9bn come from perhaps they only chose to count the numbers that suited them.Even the new figure of $11.9 billion doesn't get close to Nokia's $15.2bn.

Kind of like that Jackass in congress talking about the allocation of money used by planned parenthood ....it is interesting how numbers are fudged to match Apple's best skill ........hype.

I'm trying to play spot the jackass but I keep coming back to you. Clearly, Apple's report yesterday was 18.6M iphones, revenue $12Bn, net income $3Bn - JUST FOR IPHONE.

Nokia Q1 - 7.01Bn EUR (~$9.5Bn) for Devices and Services. Are you really going to compare the iPhone to Nokia including the network infrastructure business (~$5Bn) (and NAVTEQ licensing - $0.3Bn)?

$9.5Bn vs. $12Bn is the appropriate comparison.

PS Accessories are the difference between reported and calculated ASP - it is about $20 per unit (about 3-5% of the ASP) - not a significant change to the number - not enough to save NOK.

Back to the books for you...

PS +1 for the massively ironic name - Analytyx -
  • Reply 33 of 101
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:

Microsoft and Nokia just signed a definitive agreement to partner on Windows Phone 7, formally beginning the relationship that will radically change the mobility landscape. This means that they will officially begin to kick asses.

I think there's a song for that... it's by Journey, it was used in the final episode of the Soprano's, the first episode of Glee, Target ads (I think)... c'mon it's on the tip of my tongue... tip-tonguey, tip-tonguey as our Inuit brethren would say.

C'mon, someone help me out...

PS OT but funny how one song gets used in 2 of the most defining series of recent times - one that ended an era (gritty, dark, compelling dramas that don't pander to advertisers see also the Wire, Battlestar Galactica, etc.) and one that launched one (the American Idol-ization of scripted TV). Personally I like both shows in their massively different ways (tho not Idol ).
  • Reply 34 of 101
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Just signing a deal does not automatically = kicking ass. They have to execute an effective strategy and find success in the market. I wish them both the best.

Quote:

Microsoft and Nokia just signed a definitive agreement to partner on Windows Phone 7, formally beginning the relationship that will radically change the mobility landscape. This means that they will officially begin to kick asses.

• Reply 35 of 101
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I remember that. Funny how they all disappeared now.

Still here. And most of the arguments made at that stage were valid (lack of MMS, , 3G, Multitasking, etc.). Nokia was the more advanced device at that stage (at least feature wise) and still is penetration wise (though losing fast). Usability is another story.

Predicting the future is also another story. Very few succeed in that more that the lucky once or twice.

Regs, Jarkko

P.S. I wasn't registered on the site when the iPhone was launched....
  • Reply 36 of 101
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Still here. And most of the arguments made at that stage were valid (lack of MMS, , 3G, Multitasking, etc.). Nokia was the more advanced device at that stage (at least feature wise) and still is penetration wise (though losing fast). Usability is another story.

I?d argue that ?more advanced? isn?t an accurate description of Symbian compared to iPhone OS because comparing the number of features isn?t a valid metric for advancement in and of itself.

iPhone OS was and is more advanced and we have proof of that with Nokia having dropped Symbian for WP7 and even creating MeeGo OS for their larger devices. The fact that Apple started with a solid foundation in which to build in says a lot about the company. No one else has yet to get cut/copy/paste right accept Apple.

I think MS has a good thing going, too, though it?s lacking ?features? and it?s unclear if it will be a market success as of yet, but I think it?s a solid start that is only rivaled by iPhone OS.
  • Reply 37 of 101
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

I think there's a song for that... it's by Journey, it was used in the final episode of the Soprano's, the first episode of Glee, Target ads (I think)... c'mon it's on the tip of my tongue... tip-tonguey, tip-tonguey as our Inuit brethren would say.

C'mon, someone help me out....

There's an app for that....
  • Reply 38 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Guys, please, when someone has an obvious spam link as their sig, or in the post itself, don't include it in your replies, because I then have to try to find every one and edit it out of the post.

Please go over your posts and delete it for me. Thanks.
  • Reply 39 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Analytyx View Post

You're confusing the numbers.

Here's the breakdown:

Nokia

Devices and services.......€7087

Navteq........................... 232

That's considered to be Nokia, as we think of them. But then there's the joint venture:

Nokia siemens Networks..€3171

That total is €10999. That's the number you're using. Most analysis of Nokia doesn't include that, as it's a separate company operating under the Nokia Group umbrella. Actually, so is Navteq, but I'm willing to give that to you, as they use the software on their phones.

So the numbers used here For Nokia are correct. Though Apple reported almost 19 million phones sold last quarter. And revenue from phones and accessories (Apple's case, and connectors, not exactly a major revenue source) last quarter was $12.3 billion.

You're quoting Apple sales and revenues for the iPhone from the holiday quarter, two quarters ago.
  • Reply 40 of 101
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    foget the numbers

would you rather be apple or nokia

stock of apple or nokia

employee of apple or nokia

the next 3 years apple or ms-nokia

rim nokia, ms, fighting for number 2---no i'm sorry #3

how long did it take to fall from grace?