Verizon exec suggests Apple's next iPhone will be a GSM-CDMA world phone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In comments made during his company's earnings call Thursday morning, Verizon's chief financial officer suggested that Apple's next iPhone will be a "world" phone with both GSM and CDMA integrated radios.

While on the conference call, Fran Shammo was asked about why his company's average revenue per unit slowed in the previous quarter. According to Barron's, he said part of the reason was the launch of an iPhone at a time separate from rival AT&T.

"The fluctuation, I believe, will come when a new device from Apple is launched, whenever that may be, and that we will be, on the first time, on equal footing with our competitors on a new phone hitting the market, which will also be a global device."

A dual-mode phone with both CDMA and GSM radios would negate the need for Apple to build a separate CDMA model for carriers like Verizon. Currently, Apple builds a special phone for carriers like Verizon that is internally different from the GSM-based model that operates on networks such as AT&T.

Thursday's comments from Shammo are not the first time he let information slip about future Apple products. In January, after the Verizon-compatible iPhone was announced, he said Apple planned to build a new iPad with an integrated 3G radio that would also be compatible with Verizon's network. The iPad 2, announced in March, comes in two 3G varieties: GSM and CDMA.

Rumors of a dual-mode iPhone are not new, but Shammo's comments would be the first semi-official confirmation that Apple plans to build a handset that would be compatible with both network types. However, it was also incorrectly rumored that the iPad 2 would be a "world mode" device, given the increased space behind the 9.7-inch display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) This rumour is looking more likely, but that will always be the case with shrinking and consolidated technology. The use of the Qualcomm Gobi chip in the Verizon iPhone does lend a little credibility to the rumour. Can they add all the needed radio bands to the iPhone’s current size? Will these all work with the same external antenna? Have they really reduced the HW and licensing costs to a point that tens of millions of iPhones per quarter that will never use a CDMA network is feasible?

2) Remember, the Verizon iPhone is locked to Verizon and the AT&T iPhone is locked to AT&T, so unless they are unlockable/reflashable these won’t be like quasi- “world mode” phones like that BB offers that is locked to a CDMA network and usable on a single European UMTS(3GSM) spectrum.

3) t would be interesting to get an iPhone I can get voice from Verizon and data from AT&T. I’d pay a little extra for that type of setup.

4) Apple has a history of around doubling its iPhone sales for a new device over the Q2 sales. If they sold 18.6 million units in Q2 we should expect 36 million units for the first full quarter the next iPhone is released. That would mean 12 millions per month, or 400,000 per day. In September last year it was reported Foxconn can produce 130k per day and that the new factory will be able to produce 200k per day. I really hope those estimates are low, for Apple’s sake.

5) OT: China Mobile just reached 600 million users last month and will be at around 650 million by the end of the year. Even with a very low percentage of users who can afford to buy an iPhone I think we’re getting to a point that a GSM/TD-SCDMA iPhone will be a distinct advantage. I’d like to see this coming next.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I was JUST getting used to a Verizon iPhone...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    It will be good for Verizon to have a world-phone iphone! One of the main reasons I use AT&T is because of its overseas compatibility. A GSM-CDMA phone will make things easier for me.

I'm not sure they can pull it off on this iphone 4 body... possibly since LTE is being adopted by both carriers and LTE is a GSM type of technology..... we'll see!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In comments made during his company's earnings call Thursday morning, Verizon's chief financial officer suggested that Apple's next iPhone will be a "world" phone with both GSM and CDMA integrated radios.

I guess he has not yet experienced the wrath of Steve. Time to learn to keep your mouth shut Barron unless of course Steve said go ahead and tell the world. Very doubtful.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    The current iPhone is already a global phone.....if you get the AT&T Version
  • Reply 6 of 9
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

The current iPhone is already a global phone.....if you get the AT&T Version

i've had world phne for 3 years
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jdlinkjdlink Posts: 50member
    So if you bought a GSM/CDMA phone with a Verizon contract would the GSM SIM be unlocked?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdlink View Post

So if you bought a GSM/CDMA phone with a Verizon contract would the GSM SIM be unlocked?

Probably not, you could then get an account with another carrier. They could lock it and use italy their roaming partners..... Vodaphone for example.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

i've had world phne for 3 years

Sort of. There is some CDMA out there specially in the Americas but also Asia.