Apple's cloud-based iTunes music streaming service is 'completed' - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    I will not purchase Apple's cloud service because there is a better cloud service available. You can get 5 GB of free storage or for the purchase of a music album you would receive 20 GB of space to play your music. Just click on the banner on the right.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

OK... Sorry!

hahah, I totally just made that up on the spot and you fell for it that'll teach you to correct me aye!
  • Reply 43 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apple-ecosystems View Post

It is too shortsighted to think that the NC facility will be used primarily as personal cloud-based library.

Apple has already the Apps -- iPhoto, Aperture, iMovie, GarageBand, Final Cut Pro, Pages, etc. as well as those from third party developers -- sold at modest prices. With these Apps and Apple products, Apple products users have become the major if not significant contributors to social sites including Flickr, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.

With proper integration, Apple can unleash the creativity of Apple Products users to develop similar ecosystems that can rival the likes of Flickr, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.

And, if there is a curated or premium site for the best creations, Apple might even develop a better alternative to Flickr, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.

[Curation will drastically reduce the junk one sees in the likes of the aforementioned site. However, the curation must be more general and not too restrictive to avoid crippling creativity. The rules and policies must be spelled thoroughly from the start to avoid ambiguity.]

Such an alternative site would make the Apple Ecosystem even less dependent on current corporate sources of audio (music) and video and mass media (television, movies, etc.)

For more personal, group or corporate exclusive use, such a service, as outlined above may be integrated with MobileMe -- to allow exclusive use of certain creations for purposes like family sharing, lecture/seminar/conference presentations and other uses as the creator deems fit.

Apple Ecosystems

This is a very good post!.

I was recently reading a thread about the new FCPX (Final Cut Pro X) to be released in June.

One overriding theme was use of a service like iTMS to contain auditions, media, etc. for use by professional video editors. For example, when constructing a video, the editor will often include stills or b-rolls that aren't part of the original shoot (a train whizzing by in the background) -- or hire talent to provide a custom scene. The idea was that an iTMS-like facility would allow the pro editors to easily find, preview, buy and download all those necessary bits that contribute to a Pro video, music video, song, etc.

If one considers the possibilities -- there are similar needs for health care, publishing, education...
  • Reply 44 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This is a very good post!.

I was recently reading a thread about the new FCPX (Final Cut Pro X) to be released in June.

One overriding theme was use of a service like iTMS to contain auditions, media, etc. for use by professional video editors. For example, when constructing a video, the editor will often include stills or b-rolls that aren't part of the original shoot (a train whizzing by in the background) -- or hire talent to provide a custom scene. The idea was that an iTMS-like facility would allow the pro editors to easily find, preview, buy and download all those necessary bits that contribute to a Pro video, music video, song, etc.

If one considers the possibilities -- there are similar needs for health care, publishing, education...

Indeed, and I hope this is the direction that Apple will take, if it is not already doing so.

The possibilities are almost limitless -- both for more general (or public) sharing, as well as for more exclusive use.

For more enterprise applications, such as those for healthcare, education, and for other corporate uses, Apple also has to improve data security. The licensing of FaceTime and AirPlay to third parties (TV, speakers, etc. product manufacturers) may make the Apple Ecosystem even more flexible and to an extent reduce cost for enterprise to avail of Apple's cloud computing services.

For the free public sharing version. Apple can offer incentives to improve quality. This may include monetary awards for the best creations (separately for popularity and judged competitions) and revenue sharing from well-placed, non-intrussive iAds. Currently, sites like Flickr, FaceBook do not offer revenue-sharing incentives. YouTube, to my knowledge only offer it to select more popular creators.

Apple Ecosystems
  • Reply 45 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Maybe I am in the dark here... But I can care less about this proposed service.

Enough music resides on my iDevices at all times for my listening pleasure. Why should consumers care about this product?

1_ Could be good for people (like me) who have large mp3 collections, well over what the iPhone and iPod touch will hold. With this you could still listen to those songs and playlist from work, at someone else's home or while traveling.

2_ if you have an iPad also useful, and you're traveling or over someone's house and you want to watch a movie on your iPad, over a relatives house and want to show your photos, or more (#1 above).

3_ My only hopes are it allows you to store all your ALL your music and not just iTunes purchased songs, because like others most my music is not from iTunes. Of no use to many if it's only iTunes purchases. Secondly, hopefully this won't be priced out of range for most and a reasonably priced service, or at least tiered so we can pick. Something like $5.00-15/mth depending on locker size.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

Maybe I am in the dark here... But I can care less about this proposed service.

So you do care a bit?

Quote:

Enough music resides on my iDevices at all times for my listening pleasure. Why should consumers care about this product?

Why do you care? You are a consumer.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

FWIW, my macbook wakes up when i pull up my iTunes library on my ATV2. tell the machine to never sleep, just sleep the display. Power draw is relatively insignificant on a laptop with drives spun down, processor idle and screen off. Heck, my iTunes library is on an external HD connected to the laptop that's smart enough to wake up when it's needed and sleep when it's done, too.

also, @ cloud computing being used because it's too much effort to walk into the other room.

Laugh if you want, it is still my primary reason for wanting it. And I know there are others in the same boat. Let's not forget that Apple does like to provide elegant streamlined products and services. This would certainly fit into that category.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samlogo View Post

I will not purchase Apple's cloud service because there is a better cloud service available.

Since it has not been announced, how do you know there is anything better?

Quote:

You can get 5 GB of free storage or for the purchase of a music album you would receive 20 GB of space to play your music.

How much does this (not yet announced) Apple cloud service cost and what do you get?
  • Reply 49 of 67
    really. f the cloud. thanks, but no thanks. while i do appreciate someone trying to sell me my own stuff, i am gonna draw the line. i am not willing to pay extra to listen to subpar copies of my music that i paid good money for. i am happy to have ditched the iphone, i am happy to have ditched android. now, i just load up my ipod classic with all my albums recorded at lossless and actually enjoy my music. as soon as itunes can sell me music in a lossless format, i might care. until then, f the cloud.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has allegedly achieved the milestone ahead of rival Google, which has seen its own efforts for a streaming music service stall.

Quote:

It also said that Apple does not yet have any new licensing agreements with the recording industry.

Quote:

While Apple is forging ahead, Google is allegedly stuck in negotiations with record labels.

I'm confused. They are saying Apple is ahead of Google as Google is still in negotiations with the record labels, but they also say that Apple doesn't have licensing agreements either.
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

I agree 100%. Why rely on Wi-Fi access or cell phone data coverage to play back music? What happens when I'm driving and going in and out of coverage areas? What about data caps?

I don't see any benefits to streaming my content all the time.

What I want from Apple is the ability to re-download any file I bought from them at no additional charge. Music, Movies, and Videos. Just like I can with apps.

+1, plus then Id have less need of remembering to backup my purchases quite as rigourously.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

personally I would love for my 20GB music library to be stored in the cloud, which would free up space on my 16GB iPhone for large apps (navigation, for example) or more video recording on-the-go without maxing out the memory. Plus all of my photos available, at all times, wherever i am, is a good thing.

I don't think the added traffic on the cell network will make the carriers happy either...

Im sure they would rather let facetime on the network before we have this cloud service.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sportytoes View Post

I don't think the added traffic on the cell network will make the carriers happy either...

Im sure they would rather let facetime on the network before we have this cloud service.

This assumes the cloud will be available over a cell network.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

I agree 100%. Why rely on Wi-Fi access or cell phone data coverage to play back music? What happens when I'm driving and going in and out of coverage areas? What about data caps?

I don't see any benefits to streaming my content all the time.

What I want from Apple is the ability to re-download any file I bought from them at no additional charge. Music, Movies, and Videos. Just like I can with apps.

If it works anything like the Amazon cloud music player then the songs will be cached locally so you only need to stream them the first time. You could repeatedly listen to the same playlist without worrying about data coverage or caps.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dayvancowboy View Post

really. f the cloud. thanks, but no thanks. while i do appreciate someone trying to sell me my own stuff, i am gonna draw the line. i am not willing to pay extra to listen to subpar copies of my music that i paid good money for. i am happy to have ditched the iphone, i am happy to have ditched android. now, i just load up my ipod classic with all my albums recorded at lossless and actually enjoy my music. as soon as itunes can sell me music in a lossless format, i might care. until then, f the cloud.

That assumes any music you upload to the cloud will be re-encoded at a lower bit rate. It is quite possible the songs will be stored intact so if you upload them in a lossless format then that is how they will be in the stored cloud and be played on your device.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

I think it will allow media that hasnt been purchased via itunes.

I think they will allow it also. Provided that the song is in their collection. At least if this is a free service. The paid version will be for you to get Mobile Me and you can put whatever you want in your idisk. then what they might do is link the two together so the system doesn't care if it is in your 'streaming library' or out of your music folder on your idisk it will play, can be put in personal playlists (but not imixes, ping playlists etc unless it is a catalog song) and so on

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post

mobileme is nolonger for sale...will you still have to pay for the renewal? It might be free for you now until they release the new mobileme service.

They cut the boxes and the codes. But you can sign up for a free trial and then pay to extend it, or renew an account. I suspect that now that all the channels are hopefully cleared out they will go to online only and leave it at that. Hopefully with a price drop in the near future.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    I have 23,000 tracks on an external Drobo drive. I would like to access those thracks from work, on the road and from my holiday location in Paris, France. This service makes sense to me. Alternatives such as Orb are spottily performing stopgaps on the road to getting full access in an interfCe that makes sense ti iTunes users.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

FWIW, my macbook wakes up when i pull up my iTunes library on my ATV2. tell the machine to never sleep, just sleep the display. Power draw is relatively insignificant on a laptop with drives spun down, processor idle and screen off. Heck, my iTunes library is on an external HD connected to the laptop that's smart enough to wake up when it's needed and sleep when it's done, too.

also, @ cloud computing being used because it's too much effort to walk into the other room.

Originally Posted by DJinTX

I hate having to walk back to my office to wake my MacBook and launch iTunes in order to stream something to the living room. But with cloud streaming, I can just stream it all directly from Apple's cloud servers. Yeah, I like this idea alot.

You guys obviously never heard of the Magic Packet used by Wake On LAN technology, which is built into most modern PC's. Rather than taking even the minuscule energy hit leaving your MacBook on while Apple TV is operational, you can let both devices go to sleep and wake up when you require them to.

And yes, there's an app for that. Actually several, my favourite in the App Store being Scany

The cool thing about MacBooks is that you don't require an Ethernet connection to use Wake On LAN, like most PCs - it will work with both Wired and Wireless networks.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

Laugh if you want, it is still my primary reason for wanting it. And I know there are others in the same boat. Let's not forget that Apple does like to provide elegant streamlined products and services. This would certainly fit into that category.

There's an App for that. See my Magic Packet entry in the thread above.
  • Reply 60 of 67
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

That assumes any music you upload to the cloud will be re-encoded at a lower bit rate. It is quite possible the songs will be stored intact so if you upload them in a lossless format then that is how they will be in the stored cloud and be played on your device.

I can?t imagine that will happen. ALAC lossless files are about 1Mbps. That?s just not feasible.