Government officials voice concern to Apple over location tracking

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    Apple and iOS, helping anyone who steals your iPhone do recon on you since 2010.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    sciwizsciwiz Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

The data is not the location of your phone but rather the location of the cell tower which provided service to your phone - mine is weird - i spent about two days in Chicago and the iPhoneTracker heat map for that location shows a much larger blob that my home - near my home has way more data points - but they are spread out - I also have no data points at my house - could be that I use wireless rather than 3G at home - though I do have a MicroCell - on the other hand I generally don't use the GPS functions to find my house while I am in it - though it is the starting point for a number of GPS guided journeys.

My time in Canada is not listed - wonder why?

The creators of the iPhoneTracker said they are intentionally fuzzing the accuracy of the blobs, so as to prevent any misappropriate usage of the tracker app.
  • Reply 43 of 50
  • Reply 44 of 50
    cowhidecowhide Posts: 49member
    With all the congressmen and women who resign over sexual excesses it is no wonder there is concern with the tracking log in the iPhone.

Relax folks, It's not a bug, it is a feature.
  • Reply 45 of 50
    .....maybe Apple knows where Osama bin Laden is hiding.
  • Reply 46 of 50
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 47 of 50
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

The creators of the iPhoneTracker said they are intentionally fuzzing the accuracy of the blobs, so as to prevent any misappropriate usage of the tracker app.

I saw that - and I did look a bit farther - maybe I didn't look closely enough at the data - so yes it could well be that rather than the location of the tower providing the info - there could be a log of the location provided.

Although - in a db file called CellLocations - I would expect that to be the tower location - not my location.
  • Reply 48 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Interesting link, in which Apple themselves say that they are indeed receiving that information and passing it along to others.

Besides the clear statements of turning off Location Services either completely or per app, and the system?s notification to the user of any and all apps that wish to know your location the document you quoted states this:
    To provide the high quality products and services that its customers demand, Apple must have access to comprehensive location-based information. For devices running the iPhone OS versions 1.1 .3 to 3.1, Apple relied on (and still relies on) databases maintained by Google and Skyhook Wireless (?Skyhook?) to provide location-based services. Beginning with the iPhone OS version 3.2 released in April 2010, Apple relies on its own databases to provide location-based services and for diagnostic purposes. These databases must be updated continuously to account for, among other things, the ever-changing physical landscape, more innovative uses of mobile technology, and the increasing number of Apple?s customers. Apple always has taken great care to protect the privacy of its customers.
    Where does it say Apple is passing your location along to others without your expressed consent.
    To provide location-based services, Apple must be able to determine quickly and precisely where a device is located. To do this, Apple maintains a secure database containing information regarding known locations of cell towers and Wi-Fi access points. The information is stored in a database accessible only by Apple and does not reveal personal information about any customer.

Information about nearby cell towers and Wi-Fi access points is collected and sent to Apple with the GPS coordinates of the device, if available: (1) when a customer requests current location information and (2) automatically, in some cases, to update and maintain databases with known location information. In both cases, the device collects the following anonymous information:

Cell Tower Information: Apple collects information about nearby cell towers, such as the location of the tower(s), Cell IDs, and data about the strength of the signal transmitted from the towers. A Cell ID refers to the unique number assigned by a cellular provider to a cell, a defined geographic area covered by a cell tower in a mobile network. Cell IDs do not provide any personal information about mobile phone users located in the cell. Location, Cell ID, and signal strength information is available to anyone with certain commercially available software.

Wi-Fi Access Point Information: Apple collects information about nearby Wi-Fi access points, such as the location of the access point(s), Media Access Control (MAC) addresses, and data about the strength and speed of the signal transmitted by the access point(s)?
    Again, where does it say Apple is passing your location along to others without your expressed consent.

You can claim that Apple is evil and lying per your usual vitriol, and it may even true, but you can?t back your claims that Apple is doing anything underhanded.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 50 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

"To provide location-based services on Apple products, Apple and our partners and licensees may collect, use, and share precise location data, including real-time geographic location of your Apple computer or device."

Of course the loophole you've given yourself is "without express consent", since of course notice is provided in the fine print of the user agreement.

In contrast, Google's implementation doesn't just bury it in the fine print, but also provides a clear, concise on-screen prompt requiring your approval.

Like Gruber says, "Android is doing it right."

Yeah, standard legalese. You do not comprehend that Flickster needs to know your location if you want it to find theaters in your area? You agree to that. They could also then use that info for data mining, but you still have to agree to that.

What you keep failing to prove as you get cornered and blocked over and over is how Apple is a diabolic, nefarious and evil company that has forced you to use a nightlight for fear of Steve Jobs stealing your liver you sleep.

Gruber?s comment was referring their timely clearing of the cache, not any of the crap you?re spewing.