US Army's first smartphone will be powered by Google Android, not Apple

Comments

• Reply 101 of 182
    gescomgescom Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Well, I hope the US never goes to war against China!

Don't worry about it. China already own the USA. When the US dollar is not a world currency anymore ( and that will happen soon ) then you're definitely fcuked. Good luck!
  • Reply 102 of 182
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Who, pray tell, would expect an intelligent decision about anything from our govurmint?
  • Reply 103 of 182
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

This may be a dumb question, but wouldn't the amount of cell phone activity from a given area indicate that something was (or was not) happening in that area -- and couldn't we (or the enemy) use that to their advantage?

AIR, the US was using cell traffic to track Ben Ladin.

... something about smoke and fire... or there must be a pony here, somewhere.

They probably won't be using standard cellular phone connections. They will use the apps and computing power of the device but the communications stuff will most likely be hooked up to a much more powerful radio with a larger antenna.

With the amount of modifications and the control required, it should be no surprise that the Army does not want to have to negotiate with Apple on every change to the hardware and software. They need something they can own. Motorola/Android made in the USA sounds like a good platform to work from.
  • Reply 104 of 182
    From the Wired Article:

Army Picks Android to Power Its First Smartphone

Quote:

But that?s not to say the current phone prototype will be what the Army ends up issuing soldiers. And it?s also not to say that whatever makes it through testing will definitely rely on Android as its operating system. That?s all a ways away.

But the point of building the Mobile/Handheld Computing Environment is to have a common framework for designing apps that can run on any manner of devices ? and that?s an early indication that the Army?s leaning toward Android devices, especially in this age of budget efficiencies, rather than iOS, which is tied to one specific (i)Phone. Score one for open architecture.

This tells me that this is a prototype project to prove the concept.

If the concept is proven, and the project funded, there would likely be an initial order for 2.2 million smart phones (based on a standing army of 550,000).

Not too shabby -- including the prestige and potential for sales of similar OTS devices for their private lives, family, etc.

However, the way I read it, only the prototype project is funded, and likely, involves less than 1,000 devices.

If the full project gets funded, it will likely go to bid -- with, or without options for sole-sourcing.

Part of the bid process requires the responders to demonstrate their capability to fulfill the contract (quality, cost, performance, schedule, etc.)-- should they win.

The bid process usually consists of several iterations -- culminating in a request for a Best and Final bid from selected [potential] vendors.

If the US Army truly wants to get into the business of building and maintaining a mobile device operating system -- then almost any OS would do.

If, however, the US Army, wants to implement a solution taking advantage of hardware/software state-of-the-art at a given point in time -- then this is, likely, a one-time implementation... not, necessarily, setting precedent for future projects.

All that said, if the full project does get funded -- Apple could have advantages as to proven performance and advantages of a sole-source.
  • Reply 105 of 182
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Being former Army myself, I must say I am sad by this news.
  • Reply 106 of 182
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Makes sense.

Google is an American company.

Apple is a Chinese company.

I guess that's a joke?... I don't get it.

Anyway, unless they spec out a US built version, which will cost 10k a piece, any device they purchase will be built in Asia. Even if built in US it will likely have foreign source parts. As others have posted, Apple will not allow porting etc to another device.

However, it gets down to what they put on the device, if it's benign things like translators etc, no need to harden. Just buy a gazillion of them and toss them if they break. But, just like any organization, they have spec creep. So, if there are tactical emails, tactical plans etc it makes sense to go with Android so as to tune it as they deem fit. Can you say big buck$$?
  • Reply 107 of 182
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Your assumption is predicated on the fallacy that the same amount of time and effort is put into the attack on each, which even the organizers say is not the case.

For instance, shooting a .45 at bulletproofs jackets to show which ones are effective at stopping a .45 is a controlled test. It shows clear and concise results. But shooting a .22 at one, a .45 at another, and an RPG at yet another is not a controlled test.

This is the downfall of Pwn2Own and all such tests. With so much emphasis on Apple for their near mindshare monopoly it’s clear there is little effort on the other platforms. That does not mean that Apple’s code is superior or inferior as their testing method does not allow for any such conclusion. I’d only be surprised by their results if Apple’s products are not toppled first.

Actually the fallacy is in assuming the same effort isn't being made to hack Android. Nowhere is that claim made. The teams work year-round in identifying weaknesses that can be used come Pwn2Own time. Quite a jump to argue no team is trying.

My original claim still stands. There's been no successful hacking of Android yet noted. Changing the terms of the argument to involve guesses as to why doesn't change the facts. So making the claim that Android is the worst possible choice due to security issues has no basis.
  • Reply 108 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

That's a real nice thing to say about people who lay down their lives so you can enjoy your freedoms and your liberty.

Yep.

And it's strictly coincidence that the poorest Americans happen to be the most patriotic:

According to a 2007 Associated Press analysis, "nearly three-fourths of [U.S. troops] killed in Iraq came from towns where the per capita income was below the national average. More than half came from towns where the percentage of people living in poverty topped the national average."

Pull your head out of your a**.
  • Reply 109 of 182
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Actually the fallacy is in assuming the same effort isn't being made to hack Android. Nowhere is that claim made. The teams work year-round in identifying weaknesses that can be used come Pwn2Own time. Quite a jump to argue no team is trying.

My original claim still stands. There's been no successful hacking of Android yet noted. Changing the terms of the argument to involve guesses as to why doesn't change the facts. So making the claim that Android is the worst possible choice due to security issues has no basis.

As I recall no one showed up to attempt a hack on Android, Firefox, or WinPhone. The records may deserve a foot note, although technically undefeated, no one tried either.
  • Reply 110 of 182
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac.World View Post

Too late. iPhone has already been there and done that. There are quite a few military apps developed by military guys in the field, for use IN the field.

True. Although this could be done with many devices, I understand most US snipers use iPhones and an iApp for making their external ballistics calculations. Clearly not being used in the same role as is described in the article above, but mission critical none the less. I assume this is done on jailbroken or customized military iPhones for convenience.
  • Reply 111 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

As I recall no one showed up to attempt a hack on Android, Firefox, or WinPhone. The records may deserve a foot note, although technically undefeated, no one tried either.

Or you could say they abandoned all hope of being successful at Pwn2Own. There were teams that planned to do so, announcing well in advance that they'd be there. These guys work year round, not just for three days in February.

http://thetechjournal.com/electronic...own-2011.xhtml
  • Reply 112 of 182
    jacksonsjacksons Posts: 244member
    Quote:

Wow. So many experts in OS development for military uses gathered in one thread. So far we've found that Apple would never let iOS be modified for custom uses. And they'd never expose their technologies to the NSA or CIA. The Android OS is obviously rift with security issues and viruses as everyone knows. And the military is plainly cheap and going with 2nd best to save money.

The only solid truth in the entire article so far? Apparently the military has settled on an Android solution for their warfield smartphone development. It's not dissing Apple. Android was determined to match their requirements better. That's pretty much the story.

Exactly. Plus they can buy phones with replaceable batteries. Heck, they may even be able to convince HTC to build them a phone with specific characteristics. iOS is just not the way to go when you want to do things the way you want to when you want to. And the military really likes that kind of option.
  • Reply 113 of 182
    srathisrathi Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

One thing for sure security is not important to them.

You mean by not having consolidated.db file??
  • Reply 114 of 182
    srathisrathi Posts: 29member
    Quote:

It's not dissing Apple. Android was determined to match their requirements better. That's pretty much the story.

Sour grapes, eh? :d:
  • Reply 115 of 182
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...the U.S. Army is currently undergoing testing of a prototype Android-based smartphone platform....

Come on, folks. The Army is not undergoing testing; the phone is. Editing matters.

• Reply 116 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Totally makes sense. You didn't think that apple was going to let the military fork iOS, did you? And frankly - google may need the admob clicks...

Bingo.

This isn't "good news for Android" because it means almost certainly the Army will fork it for security reasons. The presence of a couple of good forks of the Android project will essentially destroy any chance Android has of becoming the next big consumer OS or dominating the mobile space.

If the Army doesn't fork Android, then it's just a matter of time before they switch back to iOS (although personally I think a forked Android makes much more sense for them).

Since the USA is so behind technology wise nowadays anything can happen, but the smart move would be to have their own OS (i.e. a super secure fork of Android).
  • Reply 117 of 182
    I don't think it means anything for Android. Other than bragging rights I doubt it matters to Google either unless the military is paying them for development of the OS. Of course whoever builds the phones, assuming it's given a green light, will be a Google partner, which probably rules out Apple.

But as far as affecting consumer use versions of Android, I don't know why it would.
  • Reply 118 of 182
    Quote:

Actually some of the world's top hackers have yet to be successful at penetrating Android's security protocols to gain assess to the OS itself, something Apple has had some issues with. Wouldn't that make Android one of the best possible OS solutions from a security standpoint?

This is total nonsense.

No doubt you are referring to the "security contest" that's held in Vancouver every year? if you bother to look it up you will find that it's not a "security contest" at all and specifically has almost nothing to do with the relative security of one platform over another.

If this conclusion isn't completely obvious to you even from casual observations of how this "contest" is set up, you might want to take the word of the organisers themselves who put such a disclaimer right in their advertising for the event.
  • Reply 119 of 182
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is total nonsense.

No doubt you are referring to the "security contest" that's held in Vancouver every year? if you bother to look it up you will find that it's not a "security contest" at all and specifically has almost nothing to do with the relative security of one platform over another.

If this conclusion isn't completely obvious to you even from casual observations of how this "contest" is set up, you might want to take the word of the organisers themselves who put such a disclaimer right in their advertising for the event.

Not just that event. My original comment was there there has been no successful hack of the Android OS itself. If you have a source that shows otherwise, please post it. If not, then I'm not sure what "nonsense" you're referring to.
  • Reply 120 of 182
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    Not sure why this really matters in the "OS War".

How exactly is Google going to make money off this....