iPhone 5 to see 'major redesign' with multi-touch home button, 3.7" screen - rumor

Comments

• Reply 81 of 113
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Now there's BGR claiming a test version of the iPhone is meant for T-Mobile.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/23/exclus...-t-mobile-usa/
  • Reply 82 of 113
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I want dual core A5 and 64GB storage but not in that type of iPhone case. I like the iPhone 4 case a lot. This kind of case would make me pause.
  • Reply 83 of 113
    Well, there goes the solid feel of the "Leica-like" iPhone 4. Easier to slip through your fingers, just like the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 84 of 113
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Just in case there are folks that still believe in this thing, a good way to analyse it is to do so from the point of view of a designer. The design question is always what does each change in the design give you and what does each change take away from the original?

removing antenna band:

gives you - nothing

takes away - some of the reception

changing back to metal:

gives you - unbreakable back

takes away - all the reception

changing shape to thin teardrop:

gives you - thinner phone

takes away - connector dock is harder to get at/use, speakers have to be relocated/changed, phone is top heavy, thumb typing (the main data entry for the phone), is almost impossible, battery is smaller/weaker, phone is harder to hold, phone won't lay flat on table, phone won't stand up on table, phone hard to place in dock.

bigger screen:

gives you - slightly bigger screen

takes away - ability to use most cases, incompatible with all current applications, easier to touch something on screen by mistake, harder to use in general.

So yeah a new iPhone that gives you nothing over the current model (design-wise) other than a slightly bigger screen, and has drawbacks like worse reception, worse battery life and complete incompatibility with all programs and cases (among other problems).

Even if the downside of the changes can be mitigated, the reason they won't be made in the first place, is that they do absolutely nothing for the phone or the end user. Good designers don't introduce changes into products for cosmetic reasons, or for laughs, they do so because it makes the product a better product. None of these changes do that, they just look "cool" (to some eyes).

I think you (and many here) are correct in saying that this rumor is false, however: design judgement is always very subjective. I think that the iPhone1 and iPad2 are significantly better designs than the iPhone4 (never mind the 3G and 3GS) in that you can use them without a case and they maintain their beauty for a long time and are not prone to breaking and scratching too easily. The antenna issue is easily solved with a partial plastic insert (such as iPad WiFi + 3G). The back should be flat, but the curved edges on the iPad are just fine for all ports. I am keeping my fingers crossed for an iPhone5 design that mimics iPad2. Anodized aluminum body ftw!
  • Reply 85 of 113
    I dont think the tapered back will ever work since the design of the iphone is all sides are viewable. So having this tapered edge will hold funny if upside down. There is never an upside down in an iDevice.
  • Reply 86 of 113
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Now there's BGR claiming a test version of the iPhone is meant for T-Mobile.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/23/exclus...-t-mobile-usa/

They'd better serve everyone by first admitting it's most likely Apple testing a phone to extend into the eventual AT&T Family of networks. Right now it's T-Mobile.

T-Mobile and AT&T just filed with the FCC for their merger to commence.
  • Reply 87 of 113
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Thought I'd read somewhere that it may be two years away before the merger actually passes muster with the Feds, if it does, and becomes a done deal.

By then it's the iPhone7
  • Reply 88 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new report claims recent rumors of a minor revision to Apple's next-generation iPhone are inaccurate, positing instead that Apple will completely redesign the handset to possibly include a "gesture area" home button and a 3.7-inch edge-to-edge screen [Update: This report has since been deemed inaccurate].

Nooo... Please Apple, please change the iPhone design so it'll be really worth it to upgrade..
  • Reply 89 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Nooo... Please Apple, please change the iPhone design so it'll be really worth it to upgrade..

You base your desire to upgrade your HW on aesthetic changes, not functional changes?
  • Reply 90 of 113
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You base your desire to upgrade your HW on aesthetic changes, not functional changes?

This may or may not be the case for kilimanjaro, but some people do not particularly like the iPhone 4 design. Some disliked it enough to wait for iPhone 5. So for them, the form factor is just as important as the internal components. Personally I take both form and function into account equally.
  • Reply 91 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

This may or may not be the case for kilimanjaro, but some people do not particularly like the iPhone 4 design. Some disliked it enough to wait for iPhone 5. So for them, the form factor is just as important as the internal components. Personally I take both form and function into account equally.

It seems to me it would be hard to radically change the iPhone?s look every single year. Besides finding a new aesthetic look every year they also have to work the components into each new build. Then you also have the issue of accessories not being ready for months after it?s launched.

It seems to me that it might behoove Apple to do a speed bump every other year with minimal shape and size shapes. I also don?t see Apple going away from the brilliant external antenna design without having found a way to regain the internal space they?d lose for components.
  • Reply 92 of 113
    Quote:

It seems to me it would be hard to radically change the iPhone?s look every single year. Besides finding a new aesthetic look every year they also have to work the components into each new build. Then you also have the issue of accessories not being ready for months after it?s launched.

It seems to me that it might behoove Apple to do a speed bump every other year with minimal shape and size shapes. I also don?t see Apple going away from the brilliant external antenna design without having found a way to regain the internal space they?d lose for components.

I'm sure you are right. Apple likely will stick with the same overall design, but it doesn't stop people from hoping that Apple delivers the changes they are hoping for. Eventually they will change the design, as there is always room for improvement, the only question is when. Personally, I think a 2 year redesign pattern makes a lot of sense most years, but after the antenna issues (both real and perceived), I could see them wanting to correct this sooner rather than later. But as I said, I have my doubts that Apple will make the design change this year.
  • Reply 93 of 113
    C'mon people. Expect an iPhone 4S. Same form factor as the iPhone 4, bigger proc, bigger/better camera, maybe some internal hardware changes (antenna, more RAM/DASD). No 4G.

The market for the iPhone 4 is still ongoing. As the Verizon iPhone just came out, and the white iPhone is finally shipping soon.
  • Reply 94 of 113
    Quote:

Call me shallow, but yes..

But upgrades inside is always welcome too..

Can I ask, how about you? If Apple don't change the design of the iPhone, are you still going to purchase it?

Quote:

Thanks

And how about you, will you buy it too even if the form is not changed?

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure you are right. Apple likely will stick with the same overall design, but it doesn't stop people from hoping that Apple delivers the changes they are hoping for. Eventually they will change the design, as there is always room for improvement, the only question is when. Personally, I think a 2 year redesign pattern makes a lot of sense most years, but after the antenna issues (both real and perceived), I could see them wanting to correct this sooner rather than later. But as I said, I have my doubts that Apple will make the design change this year.

The antenna design is brilliant, but since the "antenna-gate" came out, Apple is like on the magnifying glass to address the so called issue. If they don't change it, then the next iPhone 5 will be automatically labelled with the same issue. But if they do change it, without coming out with a better design (both aesthetically and functionally), then it's like they're saying the issue is there and should be changed..

What do you think Apple should do with the iPhone 5 form design?
  • Reply 95 of 113
    Quote:

Can I ask, how about you? If Apple don't change the design of the iPhone, are you still going to purchase it?

I love the current design. I know the rumour was debunked but I do not like the design of the mockup.

I?d probably get another one. I?ve bought a new iPhone each year so far but I will have to see what the changes are. I?ll need features that benefit me for the money I?ll spend, which I account for a 12 month period since I have been upgrading yearly. For instance, if they can get me another hour of two in data over 3G it?s a shoe in. I don?t care about the cameras, I don?t care too much about the graphics and CPU unless I can see a major usability change in the OS and standard app performance since I don?t play games on my iPhone. I can?t see the display quality (not resolution) getting much better in a way I?d notice, and I don?t care if it?s thinner. A larger display but in something about the same case footprint wouldn?t be so bad.

Quote:

The antenna design is brilliant, but since the "antenna-gate" came out, Apple is like on the magnifying glass to address the so called issue. If they don't change it, then the next iPhone 5 will be automatically labelled with the same issue. But if they do change it, without coming out with a better design (both aesthetically and functionally), then it's like they're saying the issue is there and should be changed..

Note they stopped the free Bumpers in September without a recall or redesign. Note they continued to release the iPhone 4 in other countries. Note they didn?t redesign it for the Verizon iPhone (the triple antenna is a requirement for their network). Note that Apple dols more iPhone 4s in the last two quarters after ?antenna gate.? Note they have sold about 2x as many YoY and sold 18.6 million last quarter which is more than any 2 quarters of the iPhone 3GS sales. Note that Apple make over 50% of the world?s handsets profits due to the iPhone 4.

To the chagrin of their competition, I don?t see any signs of the Apple being hurt. It was an overblown and misunderstood issue that ricocheted across the internet like a digital echo chamber, just like this consolidated.db issue of last week.

I can see a desire to change the look and they have done that 3 of the 4 years of the iPhone, but I don?t expect the external antenna design to go away. Unless Apple has found a way to make the signal stronger without losing any needed volume I think there are just too many positives for it.
  • Reply 96 of 113
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:

Take any rumour or undisclosed source with a grain of salt, even from the major newspapers. Form your own opinion as to what you think is most likely.At

this point, I think the Autumn release is pretty solid which means, if true, that the shipping device is nearly a half year away. Now consider the rumours about the previous iPhones as if it?s only January. I can?t recall any solidified rumours as of January for the next iPhone.

This may sound far fetched but do you think it's possible that these rumors are purposely seeded in an effort to find out who is leaking true/accurate information? I'm sure a lot of the rumors are started by people just trying to get attention/blog clicks but do you think the secret-obsessed SJ is taking a Mafia-type approach to try and flush out a rat?
  • Reply 97 of 113
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I hope the 3.7" part isn't true. I was really, really looking forward to the iPhone and iPod touch stepping up to 4" screens. If anything I want them to go bigger, to 4.3 inches.

Totally agree. When I see Android phones with giant screens then I look at my iPhone 4... Well, size *does* matter.
  • Reply 98 of 113
    Quote:

I love the current design. I know the rumour was debunked but I do not like the design of the mockup.

Those mockups are out of this world, no one can make smartphone that thin, not even Apple. Well, at least not now, with current technology..

Quote:

I can?t see the display quality (not resolution) getting much better in a way I?d notice, and I don?t care if it?s thinner. A larger display but in something about the same case footprint wouldn?t be so bad.

Everybody loves bigger screen, but I don't think Apple will be heading to that direction, it's more likely that Apple will hold on to the iPhone's screen size for a very long time. The company, especially Steve Jobs, is keen enough to see how device fragmentation disturb Android app ecosystem and causing frustration to developers.

So the last thing they can improve on is making the iPhone thinner outside, and of course faster inside.

Quote:

Note they stopped the free Bumpers in September without a recall or redesign. Note they continued to release the iPhone 4 in other countries. Note they didn?t redesign it for the Verizon iPhone (the triple antenna is a requirement for their network). Note that Apple dols more iPhone 4s in the last two quarters after ?antenna gate.? Note they have sold about 2x as many YoY and sold 18.6 million last quarter which is more than any 2 quarters of the iPhone 3GS sales. Note that Apple make over 50% of the world?s handsets profits due to the iPhone 4.

Yes I do take note of what happened during the "antenna-gate" issue, and how Apple handled it.

I don't quite understand what's "dols" and "YoY" there, can you be more elaborate?

Quote:

To the chagrin of their competition, I don?t see any signs of the Apple being hurt. It was an overblown and misunderstood issue that ricocheted across the internet like a digital echo chamber, just like this consolidated.db issue of last week.

Yup, it was overblown.

Quote:

I can see a desire to change the look and they have done that 3 of the 4 years of the iPhone, but I don?t expect the external antenna design to go away. Unless Apple has found a way to make the signal stronger without losing any needed volume I think there are just too many positives for it.

I still believe Apple took Consumer Report's take on the "antenna-gate" seriously, even if the sales and demand for iPhone 4 are soaring up until now, the issue is too much for Apple to ignore for the future of iPhone. I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs will once again stand on the stage and introduce a better antenna design on the next iPhone.
  • Reply 99 of 113
    Quote:

Call me shallow, but yes..

But upgrades inside is always welcome too..

Thanks

And how about you, will you buy it too even if the form is not changed?

My take on the iP4 and iP5:

I like alot about the iP4, and nearly got one. But, as soon as I heard about the antenna issues I put the plan on hold. I agree that a lot of the antenna issues were overblown, but there are still issues there, even if they are small, and I would like these fixed. I like the idea of an external antenna, but they need to find a way to improve the design to eliminate/minimize dropped calls and signal attenuation.

Then, after waiting to see how the antenna issues went, we started reading reports of the back glass shattering after minor drops. This likely also affected a small number of people, but I don't want to be one of these people. I also don't want to be forced to buy a case as this totally covers up the great design. I think since then some have suggested that the back glass is not as strong as the front, so maybe it is not the same material. I have no clue about this. As gorgeous as the glass enclosure is, I think they need to make it more sturdy. I'm sure they could keep the glass and find a way to strengthen it, and i'm sure they could find another material altogether (aluminum, liquidmetal, or other materials they are experimenting with).

Finally, I really like the tapered look of the iPad2, and would like to see something along these lines. Or maybe just a more curved design that feels better in the hand. The iP4 is a little too rectangular. So far, I think the original iPhone has been the best design, and would like to see a return to some of these elements. I for one do not care about any android phone specs or sizes, and I do not want or need a bigger screen on the iP5. I need it to continue to fit easily into my pocket.

With all that said, my 3Gs is getting older slower and the battery less usable by the day, so I really need a phone. I will almost definitely get an iP5 (or iP4s) when they come out, unless it looks like crap, and/or if it turns out to solve none of the problems above.

Only time will tell.
  • Reply 100 of 113
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    It just doesn't make sense - to go backwards on Retina Display and gain so little in screen real estate. I think all the iPhone 5 features are very well argued here: http://bit.ly/ful1Xr