ASUS eeePad: like an iPad 2 for $399

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So just over 2 ounces heavier, same weight as last years iPad. Was that heavy?

Yes.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Yes.

Thanks. I hadn't seen complaints that it was heavy from actual users.

As far as an iPad killer? I don't think that's ASUS goal.

I can't imagine there would ever be a specific tablet that "kills" the iPad.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_...sformer_TF101/

The new ASUS eeePad looks awesome. Basically like an iPad 2 but with Android and more specs. Plus the dockable keyboard.

Best part: $399. Man this looks cool! And of course is someone has an Android phone they can tether it.

So cheap, I'm tempted. I'll probably wait a revision, but if it's that cheap or cheaper, and improves a lot for rev 2, and perhaps with Android 4.0 or whatever, I think I'll be buying an eeePad 2 later this year/next year. That extra $100 is a big difference I am betting for the market and this will be most successful Android tablet to date. They need to get Best Buy et al to sell this.

I've read the specifications, I reckon 32GB and 64GB models would have been better rather than 16/32. But in any case what apps and games are they going to use???
  • Reply 24 of 37
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    When you have one or two slip ups that is a concern but when you constantly thumb your noise at accepted practice you have ethical problems. There really isn't any other way to describe repeated transgressions.

Quote:

Street view is unethical? Location tracking is unethical? Google was actually stealing every every book ever published in it's entirety and making them free to everyone?

Street view has certainly been a significant issue with Google ignoring the law in many countries. This isn't speculation on my part at all and is a matter of historical record. An ethical company would have researched the law first in whatever country they where to operate in.

Location tracking is unethical if the parties being tracked don't know about it. I'm not sure why you would even think it was ethical. Look at it this way, how would you like it if I personally followed you around 24/7 taking notes on every moment of your life? Believe me you wouldn't like it, Google doing it electronically is no excuse.

As to copyright Google regularly thumbs it's noise at authors rights. Not that I'm happy about recent changes to the law that give authors excessively lOng rights to their works. The problem with that is it is the current law and the law should be addressed. If Google used it's money and lawyers to return copyrights to more traditional terms that would be ethical even applauded in some circles, unfortunately they have not done that.

Quote:

One of these days I may make a post concerning Google's supposed lack of ethics. It still all comes down to a rumor of an angry Steve Jobs twisting the view of Google in the eyes of many Apple users.

You do that but you have already demonstrated that you don't know what you are talking about. The issue with Steve and iPhone is just a tiny part of Googles problems.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

When you have one or two slip ups that is a concern but when you constantly thumb your noise at accepted practice you have ethical problems. There really isn't any other way to describe repeated transgressions.

Street view has certainly been a significant issue with Google ignoring the law in many countries. This isn't speculation on my part at all and is a matter of historical record. An ethical company would have researched the law first in whatever country they where to operate in.

Location tracking is unethical if the parties being tracked don't know about it. I'm not sure why you would even think it was ethical. Look at it this way, how would you like it if I personally followed you around 24/7 taking notes on every moment of your life? Believe me you wouldn't like it, Google doing it electronically is no excuse.

As to copyright Google regularly thumbs it's noise at authors rights. Not that I'm happy about recent changes to the law that give authors excessively lOng rights to their works. The problem with that is it is the current law and the law should be addressed. If Google used it's money and lawyers to return copyrights to more traditional terms that would be ethical even applauded in some circles, unfortunately they have not done that.

You do that but you have already demonstrated that you don't know what you are talking about. The issue with Steve and iPhone is just a tiny part of Googles problems.

In which country were they convicted of breaking the law with StreetView? And I believe Google requires an opt-in for location tracking. And as for the book issue, I'm pretty sure they stopped the program until they came to agreement with the supposed authority charged with negotiating on behalf of all the affected authors a couple years back. After the fact I think some of those authors then changed their minds about whether they really agreed to a settlement at all. That one is still a mess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_...ment_Agreement

So I still don't see the huge ethics problem. They treat their employees well, contribute to a number of philanthropic programs, stood up for human rights in China, walked side-by-side with the Egyptian people. . .

I guess you see whatever you want to see in life.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    The ASUS tablet finally released in the US. . .

And except for some remaining stock at Best Buy, sold out same day according to Engadget. Looks like the company is taking a page right out of Apple's iPad gameplan. Overwhelming demand. Caught by surprise. Can't keep up with orders, etc.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/26/a...ately-sells-o/
  • Reply 27 of 37
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    FORD Fiesta: like a Porsche 911 for $9,999
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

FORD Fiesta: like a Porsche 911 for $9,999

Actually, pitting an Android machine vs. an iOS machine is more like pitting a 70's American muscle car against a Porsche (if they were sold at the same price). Just because the muscle car has a bigger engine doesn't mean it performs better.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Cheap is a big feature. No denying that. However, it's not like an iPad 2 for $399. iPad 2 is lighter, smaller, faster, lasts longer and has better software. If you find that the Transformer suits what you want to do, then I think that's awesome. But I don't think you can say you are getting an iPad 2 at a cheaper cost, because you are not.

They are different enough such that the value proposition can simply be reduced to price.
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:

The ASUS tablet finally released in the US. . .

And except for some remaining stock at Best Buy, sold out same day according to Engadget. Looks like the company is taking a page right out of Apple's iPad gameplan. Overwhelming demand. Caught by surprise. Can't keep up with orders, etc.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/26/a...ately-sells-o/

Yup, just like Apple. Overwhelming demand and being caught by surprise isn't part of Apple's "gameplan". Making great products is. We'll see how "smooth" actual sales are.

Don't get me wrong, if people get a kick out of it so be it. Competition is healthy.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:

Yup, just like Apple. Overwhelming demand and being caught by surprise isn't part of Apple's "gameplan". Making great products is. We'll see how "smooth" actual sales are.

Don't get me wrong, if people get a kick out of it so be it. Competition is healthy.

ASUS has a history of making great products too

I notice you and others often use the phrase "iPad Killer". I see it a lot at Apple enthusiast sites. Any reason for that? Has some competitor claimed that as their goal?
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:

ASUS has a history of making great products too

I notice you and others often use the phrase "iPad Killer". I see it a lot at Apple enthusiast sites. Any reason for that? Has some competitor claimed that as their goal?

I've been using Asus motherboards just as the iPhone came into being. I still do on my gaming PC (my "truck"). Gigabyte mobos are my first choice but Asus comes a close second. As for laptops, well, not interested.

I haven't referred to "iPad killer" recently. But yes, many competitors have said how they were going to take on the iPad. Now, they're just trying to get in the game.

"iPad killer" isn't a term that's just on "Apple enthusiast sites", it's on other sites and other media as well. Many websites have run the title, "The next iPad killer?" and so on.

What reason and consequence might "Apple enthusiasts" have even if we do use the term a lot?
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:

I've been using Asus motherboards before the iPhone came into being. I still do on my gaming PC. Gigabyte mobos are my first choice but Asus comes a close second. As for laptops, well, not interested.

I haven't referred to "iPad killer" recently. But yes, many competitors have said how they were going to take on the iPad. Now, they're just trying to get in the game.

"iPad killer" isn't a term that's just on "Apple enthusiast sites", it's on other sites and other media as well. Many websites have run the title, "The next iPad killer?" and so on.

What reason and consequence might "Apple enthusiasts" have even if we do use the term a lot?

I just haven't seen the term used by any competitors, nor even by users at Android enthusiast sites, tho I haven't spent nearly as much time at those. You do see in in some bloggers' headline on occasion as an attention getter.

I ask because it seems to me that AI writer's had started using the term as a way to raise the bar for anyone else selling tablets. I guess if some competitor can't sell as many as Apple does iPads, then they'd be a failure, lacking that 'iPad killer" device. Also a bit of a 'rally the troops' call perhaps?

But it's simply doesn't appear to be anything common to Android forums or normal posters. They don't even appear to look at Apple as an evil competitor. The discussion's I see seem very fair, logical, and lack any name-calling at all.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...underbolt.html

I don't see any evidence that Android users are looking for nor expecting an "iPad/iPhone/Apple Killer".
  • Reply 34 of 37
    Quote:

I just haven't seen the term used by any competitors, nor even by users at Android enthusiast sites, tho I haven't spent nearly as much time at those. You do see in in some bloggers' headline on occasion as an attention getter.

I ask because it seems to me that AI writer's had started using the term as a way to raise the bar for anyone else selling tablets. I guess if some competitor can't sell as many as Apple does iPads, then they'd be a failure, lacking that 'iPad killer" device. Also a bit of a 'rally the troops' call perhaps?

But it's simply doesn't appear to be anything common to Android forums or normal posters. They don't even appear to look at Apple as an evil competitor. The discussion's I see seem very fair, logical, and lack any name-calling at all.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...underbolt.html

I don't see any evidence that Android users are looking for nor expecting an "iPad/iPhone/Apple Killer".

Fair enough, I haven't done any name-calling as I recall, except that my personal take is this. Android on smartphones is a rip-off of iPhone, and now they are struggling to devise a mature tablet OS with Flash but I don't think they've achieved that yet. Specifications seem better on some tablets but I've seen and played around with plastic 7" devices and I don't think it meets my needs. In some cases like the PlayBook they're way, way off base.

For people who love Android, go for it. I'm not out to antagonise Android users.

In fact, I'm keeping my eye on it and seeing if there are any platform development opportunities. I'm leaning more towards web apps or mobile-optimised websites at the moment, I'm trying to move on from regular website development. The App Store and Android Marketplace seems a little challenging at the moment.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:

Fair enough, I haven't done any name-calling as I recall, except that my personal take is this. Android on smartphones is a rip-off of iPhone, and now they are struggling to devise a mature tablet OS with Flash but I don't think they've achieved that yet. Specifications seem better on some tablets but I've seen and played around with plastic 7" devices and I don't think it meets my needs. In some cases like the PlayBook they're way, way off base.

For people who love Android, go for it. I'm not out to antagonise Android users.

In fact, I'm keeping my eye on it and seeing if there are any platform development opportunities. I'm leaning more towards web apps or mobile-optimised websites at the moment, I'm trying to move on from regular website development. The App Store and Android Marketplace seems a little challenging at the moment.

I certainly wasn't accusing you of name-calling.

Just noting the difference between Apple/Android discussion here and at Android enthusiast sites.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:

As I mentioned in another thread, it looks like Asus was only able to manufacture "less than 100k" transformers in its initial shipment to component shortages. So at best we can assume that ~100k of these were sold globally.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    An Android tablet has hit another landmark.

The Asus Transformer is being sold at higher-than-retail prices, pretty much a 10% premium over list price. Expected with new Apple iPad models, but a first for one running Android AFAIK.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...US+transformer

These guys are the only ones I've seen in the past few days with stock on hand (supposedly)