Leaked photos reveal purported Apple iPhone prototype on T-Mobile

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

How does this prove that the T-Mobile and AT&T merger will be approved? Before the announcement of a potential merger, T-Mobile and Apple were likely working on a deal. As a T-Mobile customer, I hope the deal is not approved and the iPhone still comes to T-Mobile.

+1 to that
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Good. This proves At&T and T-Mobile merger will be approved. And T-Mobile customers will stop being left out of the iPhone bonanza.

Actually it doesn't prove anything. In fact, until the merger is approved and executed which could take more than a year. T-Mobile has to operate as an independent company. T-mobile / AT&T will most likely have subscriber retention clauses in the buy / sell agreement in order to justify the price they have agreed on. That means that until the deal is done T-Mobile still has to compete with AT&T for customers and part of that may include getting the iPhone. If you are a T-Mobile investor or shareholder that worst thing T-mobile could do is roll over and do what ever AT&T asks or not continue on their business plan. If the deal is rejected and sales are flat then the company will be a year or more behind in the marketplace and in no position to compete and may likely have to take a less than steller offer from Sprint.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I believe the term is guarantee, not warranty.

No, warranty/warranties is perfectly correct.

Helps if you understand what words mean rather than just where they are used.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) I believe the term is guarantee, not warranty.

2) No carrier can guarantee that you'll get high data rates. There are too many factors involved. All they can do is guarantee their HW's capabilities. Take a car as an example. An automaker can guarantee your car an travel x-speed and a road can say cars can travel y-speed, but that doesn't mean that will possible to achieve in traffic.

Not true. Service Providers have offered SLAs for years that guarantee a minimum amount of bandwidth and a certain level annual uptime. Wireless carries don't do this with non-fixed and nomadic services but are quite capable if they are willing to publish realistic coverage maps. What carries have done is trade QoS for the ability to market larger coverage areas where you may get unreliable service on the fringes or in pockets and valleys. Well planned an optimized wireless networks are very predicable if they are operated within their design parameters. It's when carriers cut corners and try to stretch coverage or try to deploy new technologies on existing towers that were placed and optimized for a different wireless technology they have issues. But to address your statement if they thought consumers would pay the extra price they can and would offer SLAs.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

How does this prove that the T-Mobile and AT&T merger will be approved? Before the announcement of a potential merger, T-Mobile and Apple were likely working on a deal. As a T-Mobile customer, I hope the deal is not approved and the iPhone still comes to T-Mobile.

Right, it does not prove anything.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Yay! Screw AT&T! As good as they've been to me..t mobile has a faster network and cheaper rates.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

Right, it does not prove anything.

If anything, it knocks out one of the main arguments for the merger, which was that T-Mobile suffered from a lack of iPhone.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If anything, it knocks out one of the main arguments for the merger, which was that T-Mobile suffered from a lack of iPhone.

I personally hope the merger does not go through. I have my own opinions but T-Mobile service and pricing are very good. I would really like to have an iPhone with a decent data and voice plan for under $100.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    It will not help T-mobile USA enough to get the iphone.

1. The iPhone is no longer THE IPHONE. now their are many options. You don't need an iPhone to have the best smartphone. The importance of the iPhone has been really went down.

2. Everyone who wanted an iPhone on T-mobile left already. Many of those customers are not going to comeback after selling their current phone cancellation agreement just to be on T-Mo.

3. Android and the large number of other smartphone OS out there. Sure a lot of them will likely switch to the iPhone. But notice current t-mo customers getting new handsets does northing for T-mo in the long run. T-mobile needs customers not phone sales the iPhone will only give them phone sells.

2 or 3 years ago the iPhone could have changed t-mo and mad it a much larger company. But now as the iPhone is about to turn 5 it is no longer a big deal. We are already used to it. It has lost its new phone smell. I love T-mo to death but their is little they can do. The iPhone will not help much. They need it just like a human needs to be in a relationship.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Apple seems to be getting sloppy with things slipping through the cracks lately...

Or they're done on purpose to generate buzz.

I'm pretty sure the latter is the case. Apple has found it increasingly difficult to keep its suppliers and manufacturers quiet on new products, and I believe they are taking an "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach and starting conflicting rumors to confuse the blogosphere.

So far I'm buying the updated hardware (A5, 8MP camera & possibly NFC) and no major cosmetic changes. These just make the most sense so far. The pending release of the white iPhones has me wondering if these may have some updated innards as well. It would be an odd move, but Apple is good at that.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    No, not T-Mobile, you idiots! Sprint! Sprint, you hear me?!
  • Reply 32 of 36
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

It will not help T-mobile USA enough to get the iphone.

1. The iPhone is no longer THE IPHONE. now their are many options. You don't need an iPhone to have the best smartphone. The importance of the iPhone has been really went down.

2. Everyone who wanted an iPhone on T-mobile left already. Many of those customers are not going to comeback after selling their current phone cancellation agreement just to be on T-Mo.

3. Android and the large number of other smartphone OS out there. Sure a lot of them will likely switch to the iPhone. But notice current t-mo customers getting new handsets does northing for T-mo in the long run. T-mobile needs customers not phone sales the iPhone will only give them phone sells.

2 or 3 years ago the iPhone could have changed t-mo and mad it a much larger company. But now as the iPhone is about to turn 5 it is no longer a big deal. We are already used to it. It has lost its new phone smell. I love T-mo to death but their is little they can do. The iPhone will not help much. They need it just like a human needs to be in a relationship.

The IPhone remains the top hardware sold by any carrier that carries it. Verizon sold 2.2 M in < 2 months, and that's a phone that has been around for > 7 months. Imagine what they would have sold if it was a new version. So is it important? You betcha. T-Mobile may be timing it just right. They will have massive numbers if iPhone5 is co-launched on their network. But I wonder if AT&T will allow this to happen.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    I've been running my 3G on T-Mobile for a month or two now. It uses their Edge network, so it's not blazingly fast, but it works fine. My main use is with the Square credit card service.

The guy at the T-Mobile store didn't bat an eyelash when I asked for a SIM card for the iPhone, and said they had a fair number of iPhone users. I got a $30/month no-contract deal.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

The IPhone remains the top hardware sold by any carrier that carries it. Verizon sold 2.2 M in < 2 months, and that's a phone that has been around for > 7 months. Imagine what they would have sold if it was a new version. So is it important? You betcha. T-Mobile may be timing it just right. They will have massive numbers if iPhone5 is co-launched on their network. But I wonder if AT&T will allow this to happen.

I never said it will not sell. I said it won't do T-mo any good in the long run. Carriers seek new Subscriptions and phone companies seek out sales. This would be great for Apple for T-mobile its not really that big of a deal. They would have sold a phone no matter what, now it just happens to be an iPhone.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I doubt that is a jailbroken iphone, there is one app on there that leads me to believe thing is an internal Apple prototype, if you notice the phone as an app called Radar with an aardvark as the icon this is Apples internal bug tracking system, I do not believe this is found outside of Apple, they may allow developers access to the system but I am note sure if they have direct access to Radar.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Any iPhone on T-mo would be a miracle. That T-mo is going to be 'absorbed' into AT&T... is not.