Photos claim to show prototype Apple iPhone 5 with larger screen

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New photos from overseas show a purported iPhone prototype with a larger touchscreen display, similar to the rumored edge-to-edge iPhone 5 screen.

The photos were shared Monday by MIC Gadget, which made no claims about their authenticity. The photo from China shows a white iPhone with a body similar to the iPhone 4, but a larger screen on the front squeezed into the same frame.

The front of the device also shows the new proximity sensor spotted on the white iPhone 4, set to finally go on sale this week following numerous delays.

While one photo shows what appears to be an operational unit, a second picture features what is just a front panel and LCD component, without the rest of the phone. It too features the newly designed proximity sensor above the earpiece.

The pictures are supported by similar alleged engineering sketches that were first revealed in March. Those "mold engineering drawings" claimed to be for Apple's fifth-generation iPhone also featured a slightly larger edge-to-edge display.

The current iPhone 4 sports a 3.5-inch display with a resolution of 960 by 640 pixels. Reports have suggested that Apple is looking to expand the screen size to either 3.7 inches or 4 inches with a next-generation model.

The anticipated fifth-generation iPhone is rumored to arrive later than usual this year, after the typical June launch timeframe. Reports have suggested that Apple will begin production of the device in September, but that the new device's design will feature only "slight modifications" from the current iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    Nice unblurry Pic, might be real. Seems to be 3,7 inches max.

Not sure that I like that the bezel on the bottom is getting smaller though...
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Now this is more like the real deal.. Unlike Joshua's mockup of the next iPhone would be like..
  • Reply 3 of 43
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    What is that extra slot at the top?
  • Reply 4 of 43
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It's for the proximity and light sensor. You'll note that it is in the iPhone 4 as well.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    shrikeshrike Posts: 494member
    Bring it on Apple! I'm due for a phone. Bigger screen, A5 SoC, and 64 GB storage. Bring it.
  • Reply 6 of 43
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Again with the 3.7 inches. That sucks if it turns out to be true. I wanted 4 at the minimum.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    3:2 3.7” = 3.08" x 2.05" = 6.32" sq

3:2 3.5” = 2.91” x 1.94” = 5.65” sq

Larger by: 0.17” x 0.11” = 0.67” sq

Does that really warrant the change in and of itself? Was making the casing smaller make it harder to hold and/or disallow for the needed components when trying to go edge-to-edge? Is there an issue with doubling the number of 326ppi panels that isn’t felt when producing the 312ppi panels? Something else?
  • Reply 8 of 43
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    That appears to be a Photoshopped fake. Follow the line of the forefinger from the upper right side of the phone to the left of the phone. Doesn't work.

Take your own phone and hold it like that. You can't and make it look like the photo, at least not unless you have deformed hands.
  • Reply 9 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Now this is more like the real deal.. Unlike Joshua's mockup of the next iPhone would be like..

indeed. that thing was hideous.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Again with the 3.7 inches. That sucks if it turns out to be true. I wanted 4 at the minimum.

4" would be a maximum for me...
  • Reply 11 of 43
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

It's for the proximity and light sensor. You'll note that it is in the iPhone 4 as well.

Ok I want to believe you but I can't find it on my iP4. I also looked at the ifixit teardown.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

That's Apple's 'unlocked' phone... It's coin operated, thus the extra slot. It's where you insert the quarters!

/

/

/
  • Reply 13 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Ok I want to believe you but I can't find it on my iP4. I also looked at the ifixit teardown.

It’s there, but you can’t easily see it on the black. Put it up to an external light source and tilt the device until you get the right refraction. Or you can start a phone call and then put your finger over the sensor area and watch the display turn off.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

That's Apple's 'unlocked' phone... It's coin operated, thus the extra slot. It's where you insert the quarters!

• Reply 14 of 43
    Any 8th grader could easily fake the photos of the larger screen.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    Fake. The screen has definitely been Photoshopped or covered with a paper screen.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    I don't personally need or want a larger screen. With that said, I at least appreicate that this fake/mockup/prototype looks really good. The previous mockups of the edge-to-edge iPhone just looked bizarre and wrong...like a mutant photoshop job, which they probably were. In any case, this one doesn't look too bad. If they keep the same physical dimensions, then I could go for a larger screen, but its not mandatory.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    It's like that UFO poster caption: I want to believe.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    macvictamacvicta Posts: 346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

4" would be a maximum for me...

I would prefer if Apple split the iPhone lineup, with one that maintains the traditional size (3.5-3.7") and a larger one that's like 4.3 or even 4.5 inches. Then we could all be happy.
  • Reply 19 of 43
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,320moderator
    The suggestion for an edge-to-edge display was brought up a while ago and I don't like the design of it. I also don't think that it gives enough benefit - the areas where most space is wasted is above and below the screen which is useful for movies, games and web browsing in landscape but also extra space for the keyboard in portrait.

This would mean changing the phone aspect ratio but legacy portrait apps can be cropped as shown here and it seems the speakers aren't round like I thought so the phone can be shortened:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...=116701&page=3

Maintaining the aspect is the easy route to take but I think, like the iPod phatty design, it just looks a bit odd.

It's also disappointing to see the physical home button still there. The fact they put gestures into the UI to simulate home button actions for developers suggests that the physical button isn't ideal. I think it does add to the iconic design so it doesn't have to be removed in favour of a gesture bezel but it can be capacitive.
  • Reply 20 of 43
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

That appears to be a Photoshopped fake. Follow the line of the forefinger from the upper right side of the phone to the left of the phone. Doesn't work.

Take your own phone and hold it like that. You can't and make it look like the photo, at least not unless you have deformed hands.

Even if it was photoshopped, it would be the screen that was updated, not the fingers.