***FLASH...Who bassist John Entwistle DEAD in Las Vegas!!!***

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

<a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/music/newsid_1213000/1213203.stm"; target="_blank">http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/music/newsid_1213000/1213203.stm</a>;

No mention of it yet on CNN...must've just happened?

[ 06-27-2002: Message edited by: pscates ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 2 of 30
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Gee, no Who fans here...odd.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Not a Who fan, but sad nonetheless.

• Reply 4 of 30
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hey, I'm from Canada, we were only allowed to listen to The Guess Who.

It is sad though, brutal when guys die that young.

[ 06-27-2002: Message edited by: murbot ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 30
    that absolutly sucks. i was going to get tickets to see them again in dallas when they came here in sept. don't think i'll be doing that now. damn shame. he was such a fvcking great bassist. RIP john.

[ 06-27-2002: Message edited by: running with scissors ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 30
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    Wow depressing.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    robertprobertp Posts: 139member
    Thw Who could never be the same without John..LONG LIVE ROCK!!
  • Reply 8 of 30
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    This sucks.

The Who were one of the all time great live bands.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    [quote]Originally posted by glurx:

<strong>This sucks.

The Who were one of the all time great live bands.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i agree.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    finboyfinboy Posts: 383member
    Yeah, I heard this on the radio at 7. What a tragedy.

I wondered if this would be a final tour for them.

Entwistle did a lot to hold the band together, and I don't think his contribution was fully recognized during his life. He was a strong musician, though.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    spindlerspindler Posts: 713member
    That's really sad. I hope it was something based on natural causes, and not a longstanding drug problem
  • Reply 12 of 30
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    [quote]Originally posted by finboy:

<strong>Yeah, I heard this on the radio at 7. What a tragedy.

I wondered if this would be a final tour for them.

Entwistle did a lot to hold the band together, and I don't think his contribution was fully recognized during his life. He was a strong musician, though.</strong><hr></blockquote>

IMO His one major flaw as a musician was he usually turned his bass up too loud while playing live.

[ 06-27-2002: Message edited by: glurx ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 30
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member

I can't believe it. this is so sad.

I doubt they'll tour again. I had tickets to see them in August and was going to see them July 3.

rest in piece John
  • Reply 14 of 30
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Well, this is terrible news indeed. My brother and I had tickets to see them on his birthday (July 26) and my parents were planning a trip to New York to see them at Madison Square Garden.

Very sad.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    trick falltrick fall Posts: 1,271member
    I'm totally bummed. I wanted to see The Who since I was about three years old and I was finally gonna get my chance this July at the Garden. Great bass player and seemed like a decent guy.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    Very sad indeed.

Jim Ladd on 95.5 KLOS (L.A. Station) is playing a great tribute set including all of Tommy.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    markjomarkjo Posts: 28member
    Total bummer. Again, there is now just that much less coolness in the world.

At least I got a chance to see him last year when he was touring with an all star Beatles tribute band. Good show.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    No more

"Borrrrrris the Spiiderrrr!"

• Reply 19 of 30

Terrific piece over at NRO by Kevin Cherry.

June 28, 2002, 11:15 a.m.

<a href="http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-cherry062802.asp"; target="_blank">Long Live the Ox</a>

The Quiet One dies.

By Kevin M. Cherry

[quote]The news hit with all the power of a Pete Townshend power chord: John Entwistle, bassist for the Who, found dead in a Las Vegas hotel room. The news came just as the Who were about to begin another reunion tour and 25 years after the notorious Keith Moon died in his Los Angeles home.

In many ways, Entwistle was the overlooked member of the band. He was not as outwardly hilarious as the manic Moon. He was not as quotable and intellectual as songwriter/guitarist Pete Townshend. He was not as visible as lead singer Roger Daltrey. Entwistle acknowledged this and called himself "The Quiet One."

But it didn't matter, because to those who really paid attention, he was the musical linchpin of the group. Entwistle pioneered rock bass - mostly because he was forced to do so. Given Moon's inability to keep time, Entwistle was forced to be the rhythmic backbone. Given that the band had but one guitarist, Entwistle had to fill out the sound. He was forced to be innovative, but his talent was what allowed him to flourish...<hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 20 of 30
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'd been playing guitar since sixth grade and when I was in the eighth/ninth grades, some buddies and I had a little four-piece band. We played old rock we'd heard off our parents records and stuff. We were actually pretty good, for 14 year olds. We'd all musical backgrounds, so we knew about chords, theory, etc. Plus we all sang, so we used to work out the harmonies. Nothing like hearing a bunch of high-school kids nailing "Paperback Writer".

Anyway, we needed a bass player and I, being totally into Paul McCartney said "yeah, I'll play bass". Up until then, I'd been playing the bass lines on a Les Paul, bottom strings. Just wasn't the same.

Anyway, I was into The Who a bit (this was the early 80's and the "Eminence Front" song and video were quite popular on MTV).

I went out and bought "Hooligans", a big double LP of the who with tons of songs.

Basically, in addition to McCartney's Beatle stuff, the first thing I remember REALLY learning on bass was "The Real Me". AWESOME bass part.

I then convinced the other guys to do "My Generation", just because I wanted to tackle that cool-ass bass solo part.

Entwistle TOTALLY anchored The Who. That's what all the obits keep referring to today, but it's really true. Townshend is more of a rhythm/chording guitarist (not a Page/Beck/Clapton soloist, you know?), and Entwistle rode down below AND above the sonic line.

Providing TONS of bottom, but also at that trebly "clack-clack" bite and wasn't afraid to go past the 7th fret.

A fella could do worse than to learn to play rock bass from Entwistle and McCartney.

R.I.P., Ox. Now Keith Moon has a jamming buddy!