Apple's next MacBook Pro lineup will feature a new case design - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

What are the arguments for keeping EC/34 aside from ?I already bought an EC/34 card for my previous machine??

Not many anymore. Probably the biggest reason, adding eSATA ports, will eventually be replaced by Thunderbolt. (Are there any TB-eSATA adaptors yet for people who are invested in eSATA?) That's why I think it will be dropped with the next revision. Everything else is a very niche use. I still use my ExpressCard CF reader because it's fast and smaller than any USB or FW reader, but a FW or TB reader would work just as well even if it was a bit bigger.

Of course, if they replace the EC/34 slot with an SD slot like they did on the 15", that'd be pretty useless to me, too (but I recognize it'd be useful to many others). I wouldn't mind the loss of the EC/34 slot as long as it's for a good reason like room for a bigger battery, smaller/lighter case, etc. Between the optical drive and the EC/34 slot, there's a lot of wasted space (for most people) in the current design.

I wonder if anyone is working on a Thunderbolt-to-ExpressCard adaptor? That could address the concern of those invested in ExpressCards.
  • Reply 42 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

the MBP is supposed to be powerful, giving it a taper will take away from that, not to mention the needless homogenization of the macbook aesthetic. the squared off frame is where it gets all it's sense of power, and with a darker tone it will look awesome!

To each their own but I think that sounds absurd.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Not many anymore. Probably the biggest reason, adding eSATA ports, will eventually be replaced by Thunderbolt.

I think eSATA might die a very slow death if the 10W from TB is not enough power for an external 3.5? HDD.
  • Reply 43 of 72
    physicsphysics Posts: 24member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Is your MBP reliable? I got one (for free with airmiles) 3 weeks ago and it already have 2000$ repairs on it (thank god its on warranty). It shipped with a broken isight. They replaced the screen and it didn?t fix the problem. (Don?t they check if the repair solved the problem?) Now they are changing the screen (again) and the motherboard. I asked for a new one but they won?t do it. I am still waiting for it (been 4 days)

In the meantime I bough Applecare since it looks like I am going to need it. I have been to the store 5 times and it?s amazing to see how many mac?s are being serviced. They have six peoples at the Genius Bar troubleshooting hardware problems non stop all day long everyday, there are so many people you need to take an appointment each time you go there.

Imo they need to work on reliability first.

Sorry to see about your experiences with Apple and its products. All I can say is that in the two years that I've had my MBP I've never had any kind of hardware problem, as has been the case for most of the people that I know who use Apple products - mostly Cal Berkeley students. The nearest Apple store that I go to, in Emeryville CA, has customers that are mostly looking at and asking questions about the machines on display with a few asking questions about software apps. I don't think that Apple's machines have a greater incidence of repair than machines from any other quality vendor. Reliability and repair statistics that I've seen in magazines like Consumer's Report don't suggest that Apple's products are plagued with problems.
  • Reply 44 of 72
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fpsanders View Post

Just moved from a 1st gen MBA to a 2010 MBP. Never once since 2007 did I miss the optical drive, and since moving back, haven't used it once.

It takes guts to take away these things you're so used to (5.2" floppy anyone?) and boldly go into the future

I hope they give you that option, but I won't buy a computer without an optical drive (maybe an Air sometime in the distant future, but not a MacBook Pro, which will stay my primary mobile computer).
  • Reply 45 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

I hope they give you that option, but I won't buy a computer without an optical drive (maybe an Air sometime, but not a MacBook Pro).

For what reason do you need such a slow drive on a regular basis that can?t be covered by flash/SD or LAN/WAN transfer?
  • Reply 46 of 72
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Whilst visually I really like the current "squared off" MBP design, from an ergonomic standpoint I can't help thinking that a tapered front actually works far better. I use an external keyboard with mine most of the time so it's not too much of an issue for me, but I know that my Mum complains a lot about the "sharp" front edge against her hands/wrists. I do notice this myself when using the machine without an external keyboard.

One other thing I'd really like to see is the screen go closer to edge to edge (per the iPhone 5 pics). The 30mm available in both directions could make a huge difference to viewable area. I guess they need to fit an iSight in there somewhere, but I wonder whether they might be able to figure out a way to put this behind the screen - that would be pretty cool.
  • Reply 47 of 72
    heffequeheffeque Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Bye bye optical drive.

That and LiquidMetal.
  • Reply 48 of 72
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by romandoc View Post

. An IPS panel would be a HUGE improvement over the current cheap TN screen.

Of course an IPS panel would be a in improvement, but the current TN screens are far from cheap. If you don't think so, start sampling some PC laptops and get back to us....
  • Reply 49 of 72
    I'm new to apple products and I've got a noob question to ask lol whats the MBP product cycle? When will this new macbookpro be available?
  • Reply 50 of 72
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darkstar2007 View Post

I'm new to apple products and I've got a noob question to ask lol whats the MBP product cycle? When will this new macbookpro be available?

This should help give you an idea. Welcome to the board!
  • Reply 51 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I'm surprised Stevo allows those labels not to be straight!

He doesn't. A factory worker in China will be severely flogged.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

This should help give you an idea. Welcome to the board!

Thanks! That was really helpful!
  • Reply 53 of 72
    I know all the product cycles etc, but I'm interested to know what you all think... When would you expect to see a change to the design? I guess they will be updated a bit after Lion comes out, but no real design change?
  • Reply 54 of 72
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    In my opinion, the optical brick should have been dropped from the MacBook and MacBook Pro in 2008 or 2009.

At the very least, Apple should offer a BTO option for no optical brick. I suspect at least 10% of buyers would choose it even at the same price. I certainly would, just for the weight reduction.

Quote:

Bye bye optical drive.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

I'd jump on the boat for removing the optical drive. I used mine once in the year and a half life of my laptop, and it was an OS install that can now be done via memory stick. They could make it thinner, pack in more battery, allow discreet graphics on the 13', more efficient cooling, etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChiA View Post

I'm surprised the optical drive hasn't already disappeared from the Macbook Pro line when the Macbook Air Superdrive has been available for some years now.

Quote:

Get rid of the optical drive (I still use mine occassionally, but rare enough that an external drive is a viable option)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Ditch the optical

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

I'd be happy to outboard my MacBook Pro's optical drive, something I find myself using maybe once every two or three months.

• Reply 55 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Tell us, what percentage of customers does that equal, and how does that compare with the industry average? You don't know? Oh, so you don't really have a point, do you?

He has a very valid point, which you are choosing to ignore. He got a crap machine. I realise Apple are selling a higher volume of machines than they used to, but their QA standards have gone down in recent years, there's no doubting it.

So many issues with so many items. Take a look at the new MBP, there are a litany of issues with it. I went back to a Mac mini server from a 2011 MBP because it was doing my head in. Weak wifi, overheating, huge graphical problems when I switched between profiles, the list goes on. And I wasn't alone, there are huge threads on all of those on the support forums. I know, I was on them since purchase in March.
  • Reply 56 of 72
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

NICE! this is exactly what i was imagining/hoping for with the last round of MBP rumors, and i never saw a mockup as good as this. the liquid metal makes a lot of sense for a lot of reasons if it is doable. and to all the people calling for a tapered body.. that is NOT a good idea. the MBP is supposed to be powerful, giving it a taper will take away from that, not to mention the needless homogenization of the macbook aesthetic. the squared off frame is where it gets all it's sense of power, and with a darker tone it will look awesome!

How exactly does liquid metal makes sense?

Its both very heavy and many times more costly than aluminium. Liquid metal makes sense for small highly stressed components like screen hinges.

For shells, carbon fiber makes a lot more sense IMO.

I think the screen on the MBP is piss-poor given what they cost. I wish Apple would offer the matte high res option screen on the i3" and not just the 15"

I've got a far better screen on my phone than my MBP, which is a ridiculous state of affairs.

And for all those calling for dumping the optical drive - could you please tell me how you run software that requires the original disc to be present in the drive in order to run?
  • Reply 57 of 72
    gescomgescom Posts: 69member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

The amazing thing about Apple is I always find myself thinking, this is brilliant, they'll never beat that. I'm thinking that about my Unibody Macbook Pro as I type now - it's amazing.

The thing is, in time, be it 6 months, 12 months, 24 months, they somehow will come up with something even better.

True. I found overheating with random locks of the new MacBook pro line truly amazing. Can't beat an overheating unidesign. I heard the new Apple explanation strategy is "it's not a laptop it's a portable" LOL.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Not many anymore. Probably the biggest reason, adding eSATA ports, will eventually be replaced by Thunderbolt. (Are there any TB-eSATA adaptors yet for people who are invested in eSATA?) That's why I think it will be dropped with the next revision. Everything else is a very niche use. I still use my ExpressCard CF reader because it's fast and smaller than any USB or FW reader, but a FW or TB reader would work just as well even if it was a bit bigger.

When I got my 15" MBP in 2008 I actually had hopes of putting the EC/34 slot to use. What I was hoping for was a PCI connected and bootable drive to plug into the socket. The thing is I would need a lot more that the 48 GB units I can currently fine.

In the end it looks like Steve was right there just isn't a huge demand for EC/34 cards in laptops these days.

Quote:

Of course, if they replace the EC/34 slot with an SD slot like they did on the 15", that'd be pretty useless to me, too (but I recognize it'd be useful to many others). I wouldn't mind the loss of the EC/34 slot as long as it's for a good reason like room for a bigger battery, smaller/lighter case, etc. Between the optical drive and the EC/34 slot, there's a lot of wasted space (for most people) in the current design.

I wonder if anyone is working on a Thunderbolt-to-ExpressCard adaptor? That could address the concern of those invested in ExpressCards.

Those people invested in ExpressCards need to grow a pair and stop whining. I still have (did) older generation PC cards around the house for older laptops. The sad reality is that technology passes you buy if you can't let go of yesterday's tech. You all remember SCSI I hope, I still have a terminator or two hanging around the house. (note to self > clean the house). The fact is if you are even remotely concerned about what you purchased last year you really should be dealing in computer hardware. It isn't like buying a cast-iron lathe that might last for a hundred years.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though the latest refresh of MacBook Pros are just two months old, rumors of the next update have already begun, with a new report claiming that the next model will feature a newly redesigned case construction.

Citing "reliable confirmation," MacRumors reported Monday on the alleged plans for a new case design in the next MacBook Pro update. However, the report offers no details on what changes Apple could make to the unibody construction of the current aluminum MacBook Pros.

Instead, it cites a report from iLounge in February, which stated that the newly redesigned MacBook Pro notebooks would arrive next year. The rumored all-new design was said to already be in development at Quanta in Taiwan.

The last major update to the look of the MacBook Pro line came in 2008, when Apple updated the line with unibody construction. The unibody MacBook Pros are machined from a single block of aluminum, allowing Apple to create a strong, single-piece shell.

Apple refreshed its MacBook Pro line of products earlier this year, adding Intel's latest-generation Sandy Bridge processors, as well as the new high-speed Thunderbolt data connection port. But the external design of the new notebooks was largely unchanged from their predecessors.

AppleInsider first reported in February that Apple plans to transition its notebooks in the next 12 to 18 months and add features from its hot-selling thin-and-light MacBook Air notebooks. Major changes to the MacBook Air including instant-on, standard flash solid-state drives, slimmer enclosures, and the omission of optical drives are expected to become more prevalent in the design of many Mac notebooks planned for introduction in the future.

Time will tell.You are talking about 9 months from now.A lot can happen then in this crazy computer technology.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Bye bye optical drive.

If you kill the optical drive, then what's the difference between the MBP and the MBA?

I, for one, need the optical drive if only to load CDs onto iTunes. I also have a standalone CD-R (not connected to a computer) where I do editing and mastering. I then burn those files to CD for xfer to the computer. I suppose I could "live" with an external optical drive, but as far as I'm concerned, that's a step backwards, even though it would slightly reduce size and weight.

Different product lines need differentiation. I see no diferentiation if you take functionality out of the MBP and make it more like a MBA. Different strokes for different folks - I'd like Apple to keep both.