Apple's 'iPhone 6' to employ Sharp's next-gen p-Si LCDs in spring 2012

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple has reportedly selected Sharp to create next-generation low-temperature poly-silicon LCD displays, which will allow a thinner and lighter design for the anticipated sixth-generation iPhone in 2012.

Sharp will begin manufacturing of the displays in the spring of next year, according to Japanese newspaper Nikkan (via Google Translate). The company is said to have already begun preparing equipment at its Kameyama Plant No. 1, which is primarily used for building LCD TVs.

The liquid crystal display on the anticipated "iPhone 6" is said to feature "low-temperature poly-silicon" technology, a next-generation display format that allows for thinner and lighter screens that consume less power than traditional LCD screens.

In a "p-Si LCD," the thin film transistor, or TFT, of the screen is made of polycristalline silicon. With this method, the display drivers can be mounted directly onto the glass substrate, shrinking the TFT section and allowing for a thinner LCD display.

This technology has allowed companies to create "system on glass" devices, in which the optical sensors, signal processing circuits and other components are located directly on the glass substrate. This negates the need for additional components in a device like an iPhone, saving space within the device and even improving battery life with increased efficiency.

Other advantages of a p-Si display are said to be a higher aperture ratio, which allow for more vivid images onscreen, and enhanced durability, with the amount of connecting pins reduced.

p-Si LCD technology informational graphics Toshiba Mobile Display.

The display of the iPhone 4 is a major selling point of the device, with the high-density 326ppi screen dubbed a "Retina Display" by Apple. Apple also pushed the in-plane switching screen of the iPad last year, a feature that allows enhanced viewing angles, and one that returned again for the new iPad 2.

The rumors of a p-Si LCD would suggest that Apple is not considering organic LED displays, an alternative low-power technology that has been pushed in iPhone-competing devices like the Samsung Galaxy S. Numerous rumors have suggested that Apple has shown interest on OLED, but the iPhone maker has not utilized the technology in any of its devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    applestudapplestud Posts: 367member
    ok people, can we TRY to keep our rumors at least somewhat coherent? Spring 2012? After a Fall 2011 iPhone 5? Once again, the rumor mill making zero sense.
  • Reply 2 of 93
    aross99aross99 Posts: 94member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

ok people, can we TRY to keep our rumors at least somewhat coherent? Spring 2012? After a Fall 2011 iPhone 5? Once again, the rumor mill making zero sense.

I suppose if they start manufacturing them in the spring, it could be used for a phone in the fall of 2012?
  • Reply 3 of 93
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Why should we expect rumors to be consistent?
  • Reply 4 of 93
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    Iphone 6? Let's finish gossiping on the iphone 5 before we move on to 6, 7 or 8
  • Reply 5 of 93
    Crap, we don't even have 5 yet and we are already talking about 6? WTF?
  • Reply 6 of 93
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:

So you expect Apple to instantaneously ship the iPhone 6 after the displays are made? If the displays are starting to be manufactured in the spring, a summer or fall release of the iPhone 6 makes sense.

Incoherence not found.

-kpluck
  • Reply 7 of 93
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has reportedly selected Sharp to create next-generation low-temperature poly-silicon LCD displays, which will allow a thinner and lighter design for the anticipated sixth-generation iPhone in 2012.

The liquid crystal display on the anticipated "iPhone 6" is said to feature "low-temperature poly-silicon" technology, a next-generation display format that allows for thinner and lighter screens that consume less power than traditional LCD screens.

OK folks, that was the rumor about the iPhone 6. Now let's move on and spread some gossip about the iPhone 7, shipping in mid summer 2013.
  • Reply 8 of 93
    The Retina Display employed in iPhone 4 is already a LTPS IPS LED backlit TFT LCD (Acronym Galore, I know)

At least according to iSuppli:

http://www.isuppli.com/Display-Mater...-Displays.aspx

(CMD - F "LTPS")

Either Sharp's next gen LCD has something more than simply LTPS or AI is making a big fuss out of nothing.
  • Reply 9 of 93
    I have heard from someone the iPhone10 will have a... oh, never mind
  • Reply 10 of 93
    Well, whenever p-Si displays make their way to iDevices, the technology sounds incredibly promising! With reduced thickness and power consumption, and integration of other components directly onto the SoG, a power-friendly, and possibly even thinner (not that it needs to be IMO), 4G/LTE iPhone finally sounds more feasible.

I'll be mid-contract on my iPhone 4 this summer or fall anyway, so I won't be considering an upgrade until iPhone 6.
  • Reply 11 of 93
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    So how long until we see a "system on a display?"
  • Reply 12 of 93
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    I'm waiting for the iPhone X - or maybe the iPhone XXX
  • Reply 13 of 93
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I'm waiting for the iPhone X - or maybe the iPhone XXX

Nah no XXX for iPhones!
  • Reply 14 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllenKids View Post

The Retina Display employed in iPhone 4 is already a LTPS IPS LED backlit TFT LCD (Acronym Galore, I know) ... Either Sharp's next gen LCD has something more than simply LTPS or AI is making a big fuss out of nothing.

I think the fuss is about the "system on a screen" part. The implication is that the digitiser and all the multi-touch sensors could be integrated into the screen and thus one part instead of multiple parts, and the overall being thinner than any of the originals.

If Apple is working closely with them on the new tech and the display is also a retina display, then this would make the next iPad even thinner and lighter at the same time they move up to the sharper, higher-res display.

Could be fantastic, except six months later all the Android guys will be adding similar displays to their gear. I'm starting to think Apple should really own a screen manufacturing plant (and the technology) outright so as to deny their innovations and ideas to others.
  • Reply 15 of 93
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

OK folks, that was the rumor about the iPhone 6. Now let's move on and spread some gossip about the iPhone 7, shipping in mid summer 2013.

iPhone 7 rumor, hmmm? Okay...

Well I heard that on the iPhone 7, Apple will update the iOS to have a "Boot Camp" partition like feature that will allow it to run both iOS and Android and have the A-10 chip called the Warthog with the GAU-8/A RAM that will fire off 4200 rounds of instructions a minute.

/

/

/
  • Reply 16 of 93
    No AI misunderstood the rumor. The whole system is the glass. iPhone 6 is actually a single piece of glass, the entire backing of which is the battery and will be edged in a liquid metal antenna that also has touch controls.

The glass also resonates making the whole surface into a speaker and contains a switchable layer that provides a camera sensor the size of the phone, quite unprecedented it will be the first phone to match a RED video sensor.

The 30pin is simply a notched area which uses a MagSafe type flat connector. It only activates with the cable in place so the device has no "insides" and is water proof.

They are still having some aesthetic issues. Steve wants the battery transparent also so the camera is two way and the whole screen can be an augmentation plane without having to capture and redisplay the "behind" scene as video.
  • Reply 17 of 93
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DanaCameron View Post

Well, whenever p-Si displays make their way to iDevices, the technology sounds incredibly promising! With reduced thickness and power consumption, and integration of other components directly onto the SoG, a power-friendly, and possibly even thinner (not that it needs to be IMO), 4G/LTE iPhone finally sounds more feasible.

But will you be able to see stuff under direct sunlight?
  • Reply 18 of 93
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    Stop already! You don't even know what's in the upcoming version never mind the version after it.
  • Reply 19 of 93
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Why should we expect rumors to be consistent?

Especially when almost all of them turn out to be false.
  • Reply 20 of 93
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Nah no XXX for iPhones!

I was thinking more along the lines of xXx with car chases and explosions - or Futurama - when Bender says Blackmail is such an ugly word - I prefer Extortion - the X makes it sound cool.

then again where are all the fabulous new dock connector accessories that are supposed to be possible now - could be some XXX attachments.