Apple's 'iPhone 6' to employ Sharp's next-gen p-Si LCDs in spring 2012

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

No AI misunderstood the rumor. The whole system is the glass. iPhone 6 is actually a single piece of glass, the entire backing of which is the battery and will be edged in a liquid metal antenna that also has touch controls.

The glass also resonates making the whole surface into a speaker and contains a switchable layer that provides a camera sensor the size of the phone, quite unprecedented it will be the first phone to match a RED video sensor.

The 30pin is simply a notched area which uses a MagSafe type flat connector. It only activates with the cable in place so the device has no "insides" and is water proof.

They are still having some aesthetic issues. Steve wants the battery transparent also so the camera is two way and the whole screen can be an augmentation plane without having to capture and redisplay the "behind" scene as video.

Ah! You must have read Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell's book "The Moté in God's Eye". This book, from the mid 1970s describes a personal assistant that's very much like the iPhone, except that the entire unit is made of a single block of glass-like material.

The story takes place more than a thousand years from now, so we're slightly ahead of the timeline.
  • Reply 42 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

What innovations?

Apple don't develop basic technologies, they just purchase already developed tech from it's real developers and contract the manufacture of products incorporating it.

The amount of ludicrous garbage that gets spouted on AI about Apple developing all these technologies is pitiful.

Apples approach to tech and it's development can be summed up as -'why buy the cow when all you want is milk.'

What you're saying isn't entirely true. Apple is now one of the top technology companies in terms of patents obtained per year. They have a number of patents related to display technology as well as backlight technology. We don't know what they're working on in their labs until they come out with a product that uses it, and Apple says that they've invented the technology, as they often do.

Go to the site Patently Apple, and you'll see new patents they've been issued. Many are very interesting.
  • Reply 43 of 93
    I'm glad to hear that Apple isn't pursuing AMOLED screens. They are battery hogs (generally, though not in all cases), and they are washed out in the sun. It sounds like the p-Si LCD's have a lot of benefits over current tech.
  • Reply 44 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Except they bought P.A. Semi and make their own batteries. Your point is bunk.

Where is the evidence that they make their own batteries?
  • Reply 45 of 93
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1854478]1) When you mention a competing product, especially a cool one others have likely not heard about, it?s nice to also post a link to it.
    Thanks for the cover. Didn't notice I had a missing link.
  • Reply 46 of 93
    I am waiting for screens that can be flexible and rolled-up.
  • Reply 47 of 93
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    I want holographic projection by the time iPhone7 is released.
  • Reply 48 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

ok people, can we TRY to keep our rumors at least somewhat coherent? Spring 2012? After a Fall 2011 iPhone 5? Once again, the rumor mill making zero sense.

AI! AppleStud had given you a direct order! Comply!!
  • Reply 49 of 93
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Not sure I get the whole, "this rumor sucks because it is about something that is a long way off" sentiment. Yeah, I hate it when tech rumor sites post stuff that's twelve months away. Dude, that's like, three or so months MORE than nine months away...which I'm okay with. Twelve WHOLE months? Dude. Okay, when you're a child, twelve to eighteen months can be the difference between childhood and adolescence, this world view and that world view, but for most adults it's, "we'll go to Uncle Bob's next Christmas, so make sure everyone plans ahead." Seriously, this is like the tech geek version of, "come ON dad! The nineties were before I was even BORN!"
  • Reply 50 of 93
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

I'm glad to hear that Apple isn't pursuing AMOLED screens. They are battery hogs (generally, though not in all cases), and they are washed out in the sun. It sounds like the p-Si LCD's have a lot of benefits over current tech.

Really?

That would be why my Samsung Wave has significantly better battery life (GSM-Arena tests) than an IP4 and why independent display shoot-outs usually give the nod to the Samsung Super AMOLEDS being more legible in sunlight?

Here they are in direct sunlight:

Samsungs new Super AMOLED Plus screen in the Galaxy S 2 is even brighter, so pulls further ahead of the IP4 in terms of visibility in direct sunlight.

You really shouldn't rely on AI for all your tech opinions, they might be just the slightest bit biased. AI is a 'Temple of Spin'
  • Reply 51 of 93
    Quote:

Really?

That would be why my Samsung Wave has significantly better battery life (GSM-Arena tests) than an IP4 and why independent display shoot-outs usually give the nod to the Samsung Super AMOLEDS being more legible in sunlight?

Samsungs new Super AMOLED Plus screen in the Galaxy S 2 is even brighter, so pulls further ahead of the IP4 in terms of visibility in direct sunlight.

You really shouldn't rely on AI for all your tech opinions, they might be just the slightest bit biased. AI is a 'Temple of Spin'

I can't comment on these particular pictures, but AMOLEd displays are much less bright than a decent LCd display. They always run at the very bottom of the test charts. I did notice on those photo's however, that the backgrounds on most of the AMOLED pictures were darker. Brighten it up somewhat, to match the other pictures, and the displays would appear more washed out.

It's interesting that reviews of AMOLED devices say that they are unusable outdoors in direct sunlight.. All of the ones I've seem have been as well. I'm never impressed with pictures of screens. It really doesn't tell us much, as we don't know the variables.
  • Reply 52 of 93
    Quote:

Really?

As is that site. It often favors anything Android.
  • Reply 53 of 93
    sciwizsciwiz Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

Samsung Galaxy S2, SuperAMOLED Plus screen, coming May1st.

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-gal...view-26148446/

Quote:

Big, bright screen, dual-core processor, lots of wireless: you?d be forgiven for assuming the Galaxy S II would gulp down juice like a long distance runner after a race. In actual fact, it?s something of a minor miracle. The standard 1,650 mAh battery took us through two days of use ? from off the charger at 7am, through a full day with push email active, the display at maximum backlight while outdoors, lots of photography and some video recording, a couple of YouTube clips, GPS with Google Maps, browsing and some calls, then through the night (again, with push email switched on) and through the next day, only expiring that evening.

That?s ridiculously impressive, and we?ll be watching closely to see if it was a fresh-battery phenomenon or a sign that the Galaxy S II really is in the top tier of current smartphones. Even if you really hammer it with your usage, we?re confident you should get a full day out of a single charge.

• Reply 54 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?ve never read anything about PA Semi creating battery tech.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

he didn't say pa semi made batteries. he said they bought pa semi and they make their own batteries. if i say i bought gum and tied my shoes, do you read that to mean my gum tied my shoes?

Bingo. Thanks for the clarification.
  • Reply 55 of 93
    I have heard that the 8th revision of Apple's iPhone, the "iPhone 8", will be released in 2014 and will be implanted directly into the users head and feature "continuous hands free operation". I can't wait to trade in my iPhone 7.
  • Reply 56 of 93
    maccherrymaccherry Posts: 924member
    Quote:

ok people, can we TRY to keep our rumors at least somewhat coherent? Spring 2012? After a Fall 2011 iPhone 5? Once again, the rumor mill making zero sense.

I find this rumor a trick to raise up Sharp's stock price.
  • Reply 57 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Bingo. Thanks for the clarification.

You haven't responded to my question though.
  • Reply 58 of 93
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

It's necessary so that the competitors can plan on purchasing their new copy-machines after Apple does all the R&D work for them!
  • Reply 59 of 93
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    cnocbui, my arse.
  • Reply 60 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You haven't responded to my question though.

Oh, sorry! Didn't see that.

Obviously the rechargeable double As Apple sells are just rebranded Eneloops, but I believe that Apple's batteries are created in-house because of the heavy credit placed on Apple's engineers in the intro video and in the text on Apple's site.

That could easily be chalked up to Apple stealing credit, so additionally, if they weren't created by Apple, wouldn't the manufacturer come forward to be recognized? Particularly since Apple's batteries are easily the best on the market. At least a leak of data would have happened by now, but nothing. Everyone knows Apple used to use Sony and Toshiba batteries, but I'm just pretty sure they're in-house now.