Sony unveils its first tablets in bid to compete with Apple's iPad

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffreytgilbert View Post

I'm buying one of these because it's got one thing the ipad will never have... an IR port. This lovely little device will be the ultimate universal remote for ALL my electronics, not just the underwhelming apple tv (already have an xbox slim and ps3 slim), and will work with my sony surround sound system and tv. Apple will never look backwards at some old useful technology like the IR port and think, hey! this would make a great addition to our super slim gizmo! so it's destine to never ever serve a purpose in my living room.

Technology has passed you by, my friend.

IR is no longer the preferred means of achieving control over your gear. I have an Aeros RF device that handles up to ten devices. These devices are tucked away in a closet out of the public view (I'm not one who has to show off my gear to satisfy my ego). I can control a TV in one room, music in another, watch slides via ATV in a third. DVD, Cable TV, cable music channels, the whole works from one very simple device with barely two dozen buttons. All software-controlled on an LCD.

So, in the end, I don't see the need to buy a Sony tablet to control my entertainment system. Why should I? Why would I spend the money on a tablet that's used (primarily, if I'm reading your comment correctly) to control a sound system. That's just not a very intelligent way to spend your money, or to thumb your nose at Apple.

And by the way: *plonk*
  • Reply 82 of 94
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Will Sony stick with tradition and infest it with DRM-laden everything, resulting in possibly good hardware, but crippled with horrendous software? If anyone can butcher Android to a level worse than what it is already, it will be Sony.

May I ask why it is bad when Sony puts DRM in their products, but it isn't bad when Apple does it?
  • Reply 83 of 94
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Why did ATRAC fail where Fairplay succeeded?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

May I ask why it is bad when Sony puts DRM in their products, but it isn't bad when Apple does it?

• Reply 84 of 94
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Yeap. 11" tablet in your pocket and no crappy case. I wish it would also make a phone calls.

yup

I want my tag along device to look like it holds tampons on a saturday night out.

sheesh alive... why not make it into a fanny pack?

sad ass bs....
  • Reply 85 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Why did ATRAC fail where Fairplay succeeded?

I may be mistaken but ATRAC is a codec, and Fairplay is DRM.

But getting back to the original statement, why is Sony using DRM bad, and Apple using it isn't?
  • Reply 86 of 94
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

A few of us at another site pondered how to pronounce one of Garmin's new trucker gps models a few months back. The dezl. When it finally struck me late in the day it was one of those "duh" moments.

LOL took me a few minutes...
  • Reply 87 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

At least Sony are trying something different with these, and for what it's worth, I kind of like the industrial design of both of them.

The playstation gaming angle is a dead end though, as PS1 games require buttons galore. Far too many to work in any way on a touch screen only device. They should focus PS gaming on the Xperia Play, but they messed that one up with a botched launch with no PS store, no PSN support, and just a handful of PS1 games on the Android Marketplace. The final kick in the teeth is that any PS1 game you've already bought from the PSN store you have to re-buy for the Xperia. What a mess.

Sony straight up copied the "Courier" design that Microsoft should have stuck with (along with J. Allard)...

Their trying different is with someone else's original design.
  • Reply 88 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

They are equally good or bad depending on your point of view. The music industry would never have agreed to non-DRM formats in the beginning so without DRM, it was impossible to establish a profitable online music download service without rampant piracy. Some honest people would have paid for it, but everyone would just upload studio copies of songs on Napster or whatever.

As I recall, Sony screwed their own lemonade. Their scheme was to sell DRM music on some kind of physical media, like MiniDisc. I remember going to Best Buy a decade ago and seeing a rack full of these things with prerecorded ATRAC songs for sale, at the same prices as CDs. iPod won that battle, and now we forget that that is why ATRAC failed. It wasn't that their compression algorithm was bad, it was tied to a bad idea: MiniDiscs. While Sony was busy with that, Apple invented the future of legal music downloading, and the devices we use to carry that music with us.
  • Reply 89 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

I'm guessing it 'Curiosity', it's some subscription music service, I installed it once for about 5 minutes on my PS3 then got rid of it very quickly. I hate how there's no way to exit those PS3 channels back to the menu system without turning the freaking thing off and on.

Why don't you hold down the PS button and quit the app like you can with all those PS3 channels and games?
  • Reply 90 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

As I recall, Sony screwed their own lemonade. Their scheme was to sell DRM music on some kind of physical media, like MiniDisc. I remember going to Best Buy a decade ago and seeing a rack full of these things with prerecorded ATRAC songs for sale, at the same prices as CDs. iPod won that battle, and now we forget that that is why ATRAC failed. It wasn't that their compression algorithm was bad, it was tied to a bad idea: MiniDiscs. While Sony was busy with that, Apple invented the future of legal music downloading, and the devices we use to carry that music with us.

CD-Rs killed the minidisc (remember the minidisc came out in 1992), and to be truthful it was only really popular in Japan. Also remember ATRAC is just an audio format, it isn't DRM , that would be like saying AAC is terrible as you can apply fairplay to it
  • Reply 91 of 94
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

I consider the design to be progressive.

Who knows thou if it's balanced in a way that is comfortable. Will have to hold one to know.

Do they track your every movement thou?

Well 77 million PSN and Qriosity accounts including credit card numbers were just hacked. The iPhone tracking is merely recording the location of the last cell towers you were close to. It's not like it's tracking you to a hotel and recording video of you blowing your favorite tranny. I'd rather have the closest cell tower I've been to exposed than my address and credit card info.
  • Reply 92 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Well 70 million members just found out ALL their registration info including credit cards was posted on the net

The Sony Playstation Network issue shouldn?t have been taking a backseat to the iOS tracking log issue. At least Apple?s position in the market is helping Sony for once.
  • Reply 93 of 94
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The Sony Playstation Network issue shouldn?t have been taking a backseat to the iOS tracking log issue. At least Apple?s position in the market is helping Sony for once.

Here in Japan it's not. Huge news here since Sony is Japan's Sony. iPhone tracking what?
  • Reply 94 of 94
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Here in Japan it's not. Huge news here since Sony is Japan's Sony. iPhone tracking what?

At least Pogue is on the same wavelength. I hope this gets more coverage because I want companies to spend more time and money into protecting our personal data.