Barnes & Noble Nook, Lenovo ThinkPad prepare second volley of iPad alternatives

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Sorry if I'm dense but what exactly is a EEE machine converter? What is an SOS competitor? I looked these up in Bing and found no artiles relating to either of them. A couple of links would help clear this up for me.

Thanks.

Just a guess:
    Also speaking of tablet vs iPad, Asus' new Transformer tablet is sold out at most oniline stores. It's been available for less than a day. Asus might actually be surpassing expectations, which surprises me. I figured it would take awhile before others would sell out in volume, even at the lower prices Asus is offering for their Transformer tablet.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

He's refering to the Eee pad transformer:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384350,00.asp

Thanks for the help and the link. Interesting story.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Quote:

The study was linked above, but I can vouch for Asus reliability. I've owned 2 of their laptops, and have used countless amount of their motherboards in systems I've built over the years. Their notebooks are built damn well, and I haven't had a single problem with their motherboards.

It looks like the transformer is selling well; amazon, bestbuy, and newegg are out of stock (at least for the 16GB model that i've checked). Based on what I've read online, people are having a hard time finding them in B&M stores as well. Of course we will need to know how was was actually distributed to retailers to get a complete picture, though I can't imagine its too big a stock considering the component shortages.

I'v used 2 of their motherboard and both died, they may have a good spec sheet but their reliability is questionable and their customer service is woefull enough that i wont consider any of their products as long as their are other companies willing to compete for my cash.

As for the Transformer, Asus aside, it's just not for me and i don't think many people are interested in an Android notebook. HP sold out quickly then we found out they only produced 5000 devices, we will have to wait to see if the number sold is smooth, large or small.

As an aside, if these companies releasing tablets think they can take on the iPad 2 then why not release them in countries where there is no iPad 2, Finland, France?, Japan for exmple. They can build up some buzz, get good PR and ramp up production before bring their product to the English speaking world.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Sorry if I'm dense but what exactly is a EEE machine converter? What is an SOS competitor? I looked these up in Bing and found no artiles relating to either of them. A couple of links would help clear this up for me.

Thanks.

i know this is posted ,but it is more than Best buy that has is sold out

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Ee...y.52180.0.html
  • Reply 45 of 46
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post

As for the Transformer, Asus aside, it's just not for me and i don't think many people are interested in an Android notebook. HP sold out quickly then we found out they only produced 5000 devices, we will have to wait to see if the number sold is smooth, large or small.

I don't know how reliable this source is, but it seems Asus was only able to ship "under 100k" transformers this month:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...rmers.at.best/

and this is global supply, so split between Taiwan, UK, and US. Reports say its sold out in all 3 countries, so best case will look like 100k sold.

Not iPad like numbers, but respectable
  • Reply 46 of 46
    Quote:

I don't know how reliable this source is, but it seems Asus was only able to ship "under 100k" transformers this month:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...rmers.at.best/

and this is global supply, so split between Taiwan, UK, and US. Reports say its sold out in all 3 countries, so best case will look like 100k sold.

Not iPad like numbers, but respectable

Considering they actually hit a goal (would be higher if screens were reliable) and SOLD OUT I would imagine that if it is okay it will have supply problems for awhile (200k est.) BUT if it is very good with the high (compared to every other non-iPad tablet to my knowledge) it could be the second tablet to "break through"

Either way I think that it would be nice to have a dock like that (idk if it exists, sorry if I am wrong) and could enable the IPad to be used for "serious" typing things (more for stand, wireless keyboards work with iPad) it would go in Apple's post-PC era (which I think is BS til 2020 at least)

Sorry for any spelling issues or autocorrection issues (I am on itouch, SOS was a mistake hahaha)