Apple to sell white iPhone 4 across the world starting Thursday

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's long-awaited white iPhone 4 will go on sale this Thursday in numerous countries around the world, with more to come soon, marking the end of delays for the device.

In the U.S., the white iPhone 4 will be available from Apple's online store, Apple's retail stores, AT&T and Verizon Wireless stores, and select Apple authorized resellers

?The white iPhone 4 has finally arrived and it?s beautiful,? said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. ?We appreciate everyone who has waited patiently while we?ve worked to get every detail right.?

The full list of countries where the white iPhone 4 will be sold on Thursday is: Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Macau, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, UK and the U.S.

Apple also promised that it will launch the white iPhone 4 in many more countries around the world "soon."

AppleInsider first reported on Sunday that Apple began shipping white iPhone 4 units to its U.S. retail stores over the weekend. The device, which was plagued by production issues, is expected to also go on sale on carriers AT&T and Verizon stateside this week.

The white iPhone 4 was first announced last June, but was delayed numerous times by Apple as the company allegedly had issues with paint mixture. Despite the 10-month delay, at least one Wall Street analyst believes the "mystique" surrounding the elusive device will boost sales, even as rumors of the anticipated fifth-generation iPhone heat up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Thursday? As in two days after some people have apparently already bought it? When is Steve coming back from sick leave?
  • Reply 2 of 28
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Who wants to trade? I don't like the way the white iPhone looks, but I just want it because of the delays.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    I don't understand. Why did Apple even bother at this point?
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

For reasons your tiny mind as well as millions of others like you cannot comprehend..

It's not our decision to make why question it?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,109member
    I can't wait to stop hearing about the white iPhone. I doubt there's ever been a comparable amount of "press" just about the release of a different color of product, unless it was maybe something like bandages that come in colors other than that of white skin. Probably not even then.
  • Reply 6 of 28
    Well it does look nice. I'll give it that lol
  • Reply 7 of 28
    White is now the new black.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:

Because it looks hella cool, they promised it, and because the new iPhone won't be out until past the middle of the year.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

I can't wait to stop hearing about the white iPhone. I doubt there's ever been a comparable amount of "press" just about the release of a different color of product, unless it was maybe something like bandages that come in colors other than that of white skin. Probably not even then.

Welcome to Apple. Many CEOs would give up their firstborns for this kind of free marketing.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:

Because of my wife, she really wanted a white one, making the purchase when they are available.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Anyone wanna trade for a black iPhone 4 with minimal scratching/ chips?
  • Reply 12 of 28
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    I was just in my local Apple store for a genius appointment, and I asked the girl if they had them in yet, she said, "yes but can't even unwrap the shipment yet."

Made me think of making a dash for the back room.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:

Because it doesn't cost them any more to make than the black version.

This quarter, Apple will probably sell 18 million iPhones. 59% of their revenue comes from international markets and white consumer electronics are particularly popular in Europe and Southeast Asia. With an ASP of $600, that's $10.8 billion in revenue.

It's worth it, both to customers as well as AAPL shareholders.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Well, which is it, "across the world" or "in numerous countries around the world, with more to come"?

I've been looking forward to buying an iPhone in Nome, AK.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Ouch. The actual white version has a much uglier proximity sensor now, causing two obvious dark lines at the top of the phone.

• Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Well, which is it, "across the world" or "in numerous countries around the world, with more to come"?

I've been looking forward to buying an iPhone in Nome, AK.

White models of iPhone 4 will be available in Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Macau, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Switzerland, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, UK and the US, beginning Thursday, April 28 and in many more countries around the world soon.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/04/27iphone.html

You're in the US so I'm assuming it should be no problem for you, as with all Apple products.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Who wants to trade? I don't like the way the white iPhone looks, but I just want it because of the delays.

• Reply 18 of 28
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,630member
    And there will still be lines.

Reminds me of iMacs coming in new colors.

And Malibu Stacey getting a new hat.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

Because it doesn't cost them any more to make than the black version.

Doubtful. Any time you are changing the manufacturing process to support more variations, you are adding cost.

Plus it sounds like they had numerous glitches to work out due to the white color causing issues with the camera.

In the long run they'll make money off it though.

I will say that this furor over a white color of a product leaves me scratching my head. I can't stand white on computer products due to the way it affects light. Look no farther than the white iBook. If this thing were blue or something, then I'd be more interested. :P
  • Reply 20 of 28
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    My guess is that the white variant will not change the gross margin by more than one-tenth of a percent. Whatever R&D it took, it's been written off. They'll make a profit from the white iPhone in an hour or so as stores in Asia open for business.

We all know how much Apple loves their fat margins from the iPhone product line.