don't you think americans are stupid?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It's OK for you americans, you don't seem to realise just how irritating you are.

Firstly, I'm Engilsh and I'm disgusted with the way you abuse the English language, constantly putting z where s should be, especially in words endng in -isation.

Secondly, you condescend and belittle every other country, believing none to match up to the great "US of A"

Your foreign policy irritates me to - you had a strop when Russia dared to put nukes near you in Cuba, calling it an outrage and a threat against america. However, you fail to remember that America had nukes in Turkey pointed at russia long before they justly evened the score.

Also i was reading some other members comments and came across a right twit who said that the British just follow America, CORRECTION Tony "I wanna be a world leader" Blair sucks upto to america, knowing that if he does get a high profile in the US then he can make millions from book deals & dinner speeches after he's kicked out of office

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    yurin8oryurin8or Posts: 120member
    [quote]Originally posted by Psychobabble:

<strong>BLAH BLAH, BLAH BLAH BLAH</strong><hr></blockquote>

PMS?
  • Reply 2 of 28

<strong>It's OK for you americans, you don't seem to realise just how irritating you are.

Firstly, I'm Engilsh and I'm disgusted with the way you abuse the English language, constantly putting z where s should be, especially in words endng in -isation.

Secondly, you condescend and belittle every other country, believing none to match up to the great "US of A"

Your foreign policy irritates me to - you had a strop when Russia dared to put nukes near you in Cuba, calling it an outrage and a threat against america. However, you fail to remember that America had nukes in Turkey pointed at russia long before they justly evened the score.

Also i was reading some other members comments and came across a right twit who said that the British just follow America, CORRECTION Tony "I wanna be a world leader" Blair sucks upto to america, knowing that if he does get a high profile in the US then he can make millions from book deals & dinner speeches after he's kicked out of office</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 3 of 28
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Psychobabble:

[QB]It's OK for you americans, you don't seem to realise just how irritating you are.

I agree whole heartedly.It's good that someone finally has the sense and reason to say what the whole world has been thinking for a long time.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Doctor von Evil:

<strong>[QUOTE]Originally posted by Psychobabble:

[QB]It's OK for you americans, you don't seem to realise just how irritating you are.

I agree whole heartedly.It's good that someone finally has the sense and reason to say what the whole world has been thinking for a long time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank you doctor, its nice to have some support your obviously an educated man
  • Reply 5 of 28
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member

<strong>It's OK for you americans, you don't seem to realise just how irritating you are.

Also i was reading some other members comments and came across a right twit who said that the British just follow America, CORRECTION Tony "I wanna be a world leader" Blair sucks upto to america, knowing that if he does get a high profile in the US then he can make millions from book deals & dinner speeches after he's kicked out of office</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 6 of 28
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]Secondly, you condescend and belittle every other country, believing none to match up to the great "US of A" <hr></blockquote>

Interesting statements. Of course this applies to the UK even more than the US.

For example, when you were imperialistic, you did nothing but condescend and belittle every other country as well; going so far as to actually 'conquer' many places around the world.

Also, you refer to the 'great "US of A"' when you are the ones that put 'Great' in the name of your country (Great Britain).

Plus, you used an entire continent as a prison colony, went on a religious crusade to convert the Muslims and take back the holy lands, and generally treated the 'citizens' of your colonies like dirt.

Now you want to make unjustified claims that Americans are 'stupid'? Remember that if it wasn't for our help in the 1940s, Britain would have taken a much larger pounding in World War II. In fact, it was the arrogance of the British parliament that led them to believe they had nothing to fear from the Germans in the first place.

All of these things, and you still have the nerve to call us Americans 'stupid'?

As for the language issues, Churchill was right when he said that the British and Americans were divided by a common language. But localizations of language is not new the human race. Different dialects and accents are commonplace, so why would the actual written language be identical as well?

So maybe you should 'think' in the future before trying to 'belittle' another group of people. This hypocritical topic should be an example of why people should think before they post.

[ 06-28-2002: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 28
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Fran441:

[QB]

I find it sirprising you critise British imperialism, when it helped give birth to your country and spread the English language throughout the world.

Also the sun has not set on the British Empire, we still have several important territories such Gibraltar & the Falklands

We did not belittle other countries, we used our power and influence to establish trade and spread civilisation to once more barbaric areas

And it was very rare that GB actually conquered an area, we colonised.

America uses its wealth and power for very little other than blatant self-indulgence, prefering to maintain the world as it is coninuing the eploitation of poor farmers in africa rather that buy fair trade products.

I find the american style of imposing their views on others and ridiculing other nations immature and offensive
  • Reply 8 of 28
    [quote]I find it sirprising you critise British imperialism, when it helped give birth to your country and spread the English language throughout the world. <hr></blockquote>

I find it surprising that you can be critical of American 'English' when you yourself cannot spell or use correct punctuation.

[quote]Also the sun has not set on the British Empire, we still have several important territories such Gibraltar & the Falklands <hr></blockquote>

Forgive me. I forgot how important Gibraltar and the Falkland Islands were to your country.

My point was that considering that the 'colonies' of America, Canada, Australia, India, Hong Kong, etc. were gone, that the 'empire' was much smaller, that's all.

[quote]We did not belittle other countries, we used our power and influence to establish trade and spread civilisation to once more barbaric areas<hr></blockquote>

So you can call other civilizations 'barbaric', yet you are not belittling them? Yes, trade is good, but at the expense of their culture?

[quote]And it was very rare that GB actually conquered an area, we colonised.<hr></blockquote>

Say what you want, but the fact remains that the British took over these lands without the consent of the people living there, and these people were forced to do what the British wanted, whether it was in their best interest or not. The British had the firepower that the natives did not. That sounds like conquering to me.

[quote]America uses its wealth and power for very little other than blatant self-indulgence, prefering to maintain the world as it is coninuing the eploitation of poor farmers in africa rather that buy fair trade products.

<hr></blockquote>

Considering that when the British were the largest world power that they continuously exploited their 'citizens' who lived in the colonies and charged huge taxes and imposed large tarrifs instead of having free and open trade, that's quite a statement. I find it amusing how easy it is to judge someone else on how they do their job when that same person has already failed in the task when it was presented to them.

[quote]I find the american style of imposing their views on others and ridiculing other nations immature and offensive <hr></blockquote>

That's okay, because I find this thread fairly immature and offensive as well.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>

That's okay, because I find this thread fairly immature and offensive as well. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, well Franny. It sounds to me like you're just a little bit jealous.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    [quote]Well, well Franny. It sounds to me like you're just a little bit jealous.<hr></blockquote>

That's odd, I could have sworn I was trying for sarcasm.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member

<strong>

Thank you doctor, its nice to have some support your obviously an educated man</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think you meant "you're". Man, the English sure screw up our language...
  • Reply 12 of 28
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member

<strong>

Interesting statements. Of course this applies to the UK even more than the US.

For example, when you were imperialistic, you did nothing but condescend and belittle every other country as well; going so far as to actually 'conquer' many places around the world.

Also, you refer to the 'great "US of A"' when you are the ones that put 'Great' in the name of your country (Great Britain).

Plus, you used an entire continent as a prison colony, went on a religious crusade to convert the Muslims and take back the holy lands, and generally treated the 'citizens' of your colonies like dirt.

Now you want to make unjustified claims that Americans are 'stupid'? Remember that if it wasn't for our help in the 1940s, Britain would have taken a much larger pounding in World War II. In fact, it was the arrogance of the British parliament that led them to believe they had nothing to fear from the Germans in the first place.

All of these things, and you still have the nerve to call us Americans 'stupid'?

As for the language issues, Churchill was right when he said that the British and Americans were divided by a common language. But localizations of language is not new the human race. Different dialects and accents are commonplace, so why would the actual written language be identical as well?

So maybe you should 'think' in the future before trying to 'belittle' another group of people. This hypocritical topic should be an example of why people should think before they post.

[ 06-28-2002: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

What he said. (good post Fran)
  • Reply 13 of 28

<strong>quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, well Franny. It sounds to me like you're just a little bit jealous.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's odd, I could have sworn I was trying for sarcasm.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I could have sworn your parents were trying for an intelligent, normal child but fate can deal you a wild gene can't it?
  • Reply 14 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>

I think you meant "you're". Man, the English sure screw up our language... </strong><hr></blockquote>

i sorry when i tipe faast i maker the ood pistake

I humbly bow to you superior americans and beg forgiveness is this possible?
  • Reply 15 of 28
    [quote]Originally posted by Outsider:

<strong>

What he said. (good post Fran)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are you two in some kind of gay relationship?
  • Reply 16 of 28
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member

</strong><hr></blockquote>

It seems to be hip for citizens from other countries to make fun of Americans, call them egocentric, etc. etc. So way to jump on that bandwagon. It is interesting to see how our relatively strong economy and relatively high standard of living lead to nothing but ridicule.

And as for our variation of English? It's just language, we do it a little different (somehow making it wrong) and take out a U here, switch some re to er and occassionally use a different letter to distinguish between two sounds (note i say occasionally) Canadians in Quebec speak a different French than the French in France, and I'm sure the people in France make fun of them too. They are "destroying the language," blah blah. Just different, but for some reason people don't handle different very well; look at all of the unjustified bashing of Apple that goes on in the world.

Furthermore, people need to realize that borders between countries aren't real. There is not a giant strip of red tape seperating my crappy country from your great country. It's all one world, so, in conclusion I say, get over it.

Okay, I'm not quite done concluding, because I do get annoyed by people who think everyone is so much different and inferior than themselves and I have completely wasted my time in writing this post because Psychobabble won't care; this won't change his thoughts at all, nor anyone else with his narrow point of view. Maybe it will make an American or two who feels like myself say, "yeah." But that is about it. So carry on with your misconceptions.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by progmac:

[QB]

..."and I have completely wasted my time in writing this post because Psychobabble won't care"..... YOU GOT THAT RIGHT

"this won't change his thoughts at all, nor anyone else with his narrow point of view"

Why must you americans always critise something by calling it narrow - is this perhaps you being defensive about the american trait of always being wide ( i.e. fat )
  • Reply 18 of 28
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member

<strong>[QUOTE]Originally posted by progmac:

[QB]

..."and I have completely wasted my time in writing this post because Psychobabble won't care"..... YOU GOT THAT RIGHT

"this won't change his thoughts at all, nor anyone else with his narrow point of view"

Why must you americans always critise something by calling it narrow - is this perhaps you being defensive about the american trait of always being wide ( i.e. fat )</strong><hr></blockquote>

Listen to yourself, then you might see why words like narrow are used. I don't know many English folk, and I certainly hope your immaturity and ignorance isn't common throughout the country...

You can reply if you want, but I am retreating from this before it gets flaming and silly.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by progmac:

[QB]

You can reply if you want, but I am retreating from this before it gets flaming and silly

Wimp.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    [quote]Wimp.<hr></blockquote>

Really? I was thinking the same thing about you, considering you never responded to any of my points.