Developer notes Apple testing iOS 5.0 internally with third party apps

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A third party iOS developer notes having received a crash report from a system running iOS 5.0, indicating that Apple is internally testing the new system using third party apps.

The developer, FutureTap, posted a tweet noting the crash log from a system running iOS 5.0, adding that "MKUserLocationBreadCrumb sounds interesting," followed by a screen shot of the report (below).

The MKUserLocation class is part of the iOS MapKit framework, and is used to lookup the device's current location. It has existed since iOS 3.0.

MKUserLocationBreadCrumb indicates a new feature related to tracking changes in the user's reported location over time.

While Apple has been rumored to be working on its own mapping technology to replace iOS' dependance upon Google Maps, Apple's existing MapKit documentation indicates the software is currently closely tied to Google's Maps and Earth services.

Apple executives noted that work is being done to compile crowdsourced mapping data related to a new traffic service, but noted that product would appear "in the next couple years."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I spoke to two non-techie "normal" type people about their iOS devices over Easter and to my surprise they both mentioned performance as an issue. 5.0 probably won't be it, but I think iOS needs it's "Snow Leopard" at some point.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I spoke to two non-techie "normal" type people about their iOS devices over Easter and to my surprise they both mentioned performance as an issue. 5.0 probably won't be it, but I think iOS needs it's "Snow Leopard" at some point.

Well, they did already drop support for 2'nd gen Touch/equivalent or lower iPhones, and the older instruction set is no longer included, so its kinda already a Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    He must be torn between boasting of knowing inside info and admitting that his app crashes.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

My battery seems to drain faster with 4.3.2, as well some odd unreproducible pauses in and between apps where there weren’t any before.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

My battery seems to drain faster with 4.3.2, as well some odd unreproducible pauses in and between apps where there weren?t any before.

My battery life is great but once I signed in to Skype it drains really fast. The weird thing is other VOIP apps don't suffer this issue. When I upgraded from the beta i did a complete restore the restored from backup.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

He must be torn between boasting of knowing inside info and admitting that his app crashes.

I doubt it. It did crash on an OS still in development, so the crash could've been caused by a system service, i.e. MapKit.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    does this indicates that iOS5 will be released in June like usual?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Well, they did already drop support for 2'nd gen Touch/equivalent or lower iPhones, and the older instruction set is no longer included, so its kinda already a Snow Leopard.

I was thinking more of profiling the code, but yeah good point if they have already migrated to the newer ARM instruction set.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bakloyd View Post

does this indicates that iOS5 will be released in June like usual?

I don?t think so were already weeks after the normal unveiling and beta release and SDK of the new iOS. That said I sure that isn?t the case, but with Lion shaping up to come closer to the beginning of Summer instead of the end it looks like iOS has been backburnered a bit to make way for their desktop OS.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

An unhandled exception coming from a new method in an OS still under development? Hard to see how that's the App's fault.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    jb510jb510 Posts: 129member
    I might be using to much imagination, but could this just be the change to how location data is saved Apple just announced in response to the recent controversy?

Seems silly to wait for 5.0 to fix it though... Sounded more like a 4.3.3 kinda of tweak.

OT, but my battery seems to if been draining quickly lately too, but I'm jail broken at 4.2.1.