Launch of Apple's Verizon iPhone stems growth of Google Android platform

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

"...for zero billion dollars." Funny!

Yea, but unfortunately not my own material. It was Nilay Patel from engadget I think where I heard it as a reference to Nokia deal.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Microsoft should buy RIM (for zero billion dollars , and together they should make an exit from consumer space and focus solely on the enterprise

Well, if thats the plan, then:

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...oft-to-end.ars

will make them a lot happier.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    This is a false rumor perpetuated by the fanbois! The evil of closed iOS will never prevail! It's already been beaten by the unstoppable power of Android!!!

Jk.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

BlackBerry a rival to iPhone? Maybe several years ago RIM hoped that but it seems redundant to use the word rival and BlackBerry in the same sentence as Apple or iPhone now.

Blackberry is doing amazing in the UK.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

(for zero billion dollars ,

!! So glad I wasn't drinking something when I read that. Must find a way to get that into conversation stat. I don't suppose you remember where Nilay said that.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

There are new Android phones every couple weeks. Many or even most of them claim to be better then the iPhone.

It has been argued that PT Barnum's was misquoted and didn't say, "there's a sucker born every minute."

As such, Google, by shear numbers and the fact that advertising does work, will have continued success.

However, admittedly knowing a couple of guys who have opted for an Android, I would contend that there is a sufficient population of gullible folks out there where Barnum' purported credo, "there's a customer born every minute," would be giving them too much credit.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

Of course it stemmed the growth of Android. 100 million people have access to a very popular phone they didn't have before. The question should be, why only a 3% drop? I bet it will be much more than 3% when all those people waiting for the iPhone 5 switch.

More like they're still on their last contract.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Stunning that the 3GS is the second most popular smartphone. I wonder what the breakdown is between 4 and 3GS? For the 3GS to sell more than Droid X, EVO 4G, and Droid Incredible means it was a pretty substantial number. This is a 2 year old phone with a 3 year old form factor...
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rare comment View Post

Stunning that the 3GS is the second most popular smartphone. I wonder what the breakdown is between 4 and 3GS? For the 3GS to sell more than Droid X, EVO 4G, and Droid Incredible means it was a pretty substantial number. This is a 2 year old phone with a 3 year old form factor...

Oh this proves that Apple need more than two models at once. The illusion os choice in Android ( in reality touch screens can't change that much) so a model with a bigger screen, one with the 3GS form factor, and one with the existing iP4 factor, and you are done.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheGreatBug View Post

This is a false rumor perpetuated by the fanbois! The evil of closed iOS will never prevail! It's already been beaten by the unstoppable power of Android!!!Jk.

Just love the EnvyBoys. They can't read facts, can't absorb truth, can't discern the meaning of rumour. No, a rumour is what it is and until the facts and the truth is out, it is what it is. Get it?

Fact: the iPhone has just come out on Verizon.

Fact: the iPhones 3 & 4 sold well enough to boost Apple's standing in smart phone numbers.

Fact: the iPhone 5 is coming out in one version that will work on both AT&T and Verizon.

Rumour: the iPhone 5 will be so far ahead of the Droidenstein calamity family only an EnvyBoy nut would buy Droid. Now we must wait to see if this rumour proves out. It is not a false rumour. It is a rumour. Just as your and every other EnvyBoy's sputters can be labelled rumour.

Every time Apple wins it does make you sick to your stomach; but then Apple goes on laughing all the way to the bank.

The Apple garden is not closed to me and other contented AppleFans. However, your open jungle is open to viruses, junk intrusions and closed to the superior state of apps from Apple. It is open, however, to gales of laughter from those intelligent enough to choose quality over wishful dreaming.

Aside: If you were to sell your Droidenstein today, how much would you get for it?

Have a nice day, bud.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    srangersranger Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

What else if not iPhone then?

A lot of people like me are holding out for 4G.....
  • Reply 32 of 53
    guch20guch20 Posts: 173member
    @mhikl:

You do realize you just got done venting a huge wall of text at someone who was "jk" right?

Unless he signs everything with his initials and "jk" happen to be his initials, "jk" means "just kidding."
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Does 2.2 million devices sold on Verizon make up the majority of the percentage drop for Android-based devices?...

I noticed this too. Although the article states it as an outright fact (as do other articles on the net), it doesn't seem to me that the conclusion is necessarily warranted by the data. Yes, Android slowed a bit. Yes the Verizon iPhone was released in the same time frame (more or less). But the one doesn't necessarily equate to the other.

There was a report just yesterday about how one of the chief complaints of Android phone users is that the models come out too quickly and that there are too many of them. Slower Android sales could just as easily be ascribed to market saturation (in terms of choices of Android phones), as it could Verizon's iPhone.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    2.2 million is a lot of smart phones. Hard to sell that many without impacting Android sales.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Oh look Americans, Android phones are still selling despite iPhone being available on more than one carrier.

Android leads in the UK, despite iPhone being available on at least five different carriers. I guess you guys can believe us now
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Oh look Americans, Android phones are still selling despite iPhone being available on more than one carrier.

Android leads in the UK, despite iPhone being available on at least five different carriers. I guess you guys can believe us now

Panicing much? Android has sold more than the iPhone for just one month in the UK. Last year the iPhone alone was 50% of the market. As usual those stats miss the iPod touch and the iPad - which is really going to go large this quarter. They are just about becoming available in the UK.

The installed base of iOS is much higher, of course, and expect Apple to retake the lead when it gets the iPhone 5, reduces the price of the iPhone 4, and ( if smart) introduce another model of a cheap iPhone, possibly just a 3GS.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    So if the iPhone had not been released on Verizon, Android would be passing up iOS even faster than it already is? Thats not a good thing is it?
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post

So if the iPhone had not been released on Verizon, Android would be passing up iOS even faster than it already is? Thats not a good thing is it?

That indicates that long term Android and iOS will be the same on phones - however Apple do need to get a cheaper model to turn aspiration into reality.

As for nielsen's stats - Apple outgrew the market so that doesnt make sense.

( Also you are comparing Android to iPhone, not iOS)
  • Reply 39 of 53
    jglavinjglavin Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

Just love the EnvyBoys. blahblahblah

I tihnk you missed the "jk" at the end of the post you quoted.
  • Reply 40 of 53