Samsung files additional iPhone US suit against Apple

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Samsung has filed a new lawsuit against Apple in the US, joining a variety of other legal actions filed in other countries, in reaction to Apple's original suit claiming Samsung has "slavishly" copied its iPhone and iPad designs.

According to a report by Bloomberg, Samsung's latest case, filed in a federal court in San Jose, California, involves ten patent infringement claims.

The complaint says the patent issues "relate to fundamental innovations that increase mobile device reliability, efficiency, and quality, and improve user interface in mobile handsets and other products."

The report notes that specific patent claims include "ways that a phone allows calls and Internet surfing at the same time; improvements in how text messages and attachments are sent; reductions in interference among mobile devices; and increases in the capacity of mobile networks."

Samsung's filing seeks an injection against Apple and cash compensation, saying "Apple continues to violate Samsung?s patent rights by using these patented technologies without a license."

Samsung is the world's second largest holder of patents after IBM. It is flexing its patent muscle against Apple in response to legal complaints that alleged infringement of seven Apple patents related to behavior (including tough gestures) and three related to product design.

Apple's original complaint, filed April 18, stated, "Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smart phone products and computer tablets, Samsung chose to copy Apple's technology, user interface and innovative style in these infringing products."

Samsung threatened legal retaliation the next day, noting that "Apple is one of our key buyers of semiconductors and display panels. However, we have no choice but to respond strongly at this time."

Apple was Samsung's second largest client in 2010, generating 4 percent or $5.68 billion of its revenues. The group developing Samsung's offending "Galaxy" mobile products is not the same group that builds the components Apple uses or fabricates Apple's A4 and A5 mobile processors, but the two companies have been unable to reach a settlement on the copying issues, resorting to the courts instead.

Apple is similarly involved in bilateral lawsuits with Nokia, a war initiated by the Finnish phone maker in October 2009. Apple has alleged that Nokia has attempted to obtain greater licensing fees from it than other companies for technologies that are ostensibly offered by Nokia under "fair, reasonable, and non-discriminatory" terms, and has subsequently countersued over claims that Nokia is also violating Apple's intellectual property.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    "Samsung's filing seeks an injection against Apple and cash compensation, saying "Apple continues to violate Samsung?s patent rights by using these patented technologies without a license."

Ouch, that's gotta hurt. Can Apple choose which butt cheek to get it in?
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

"Samsung's filing seeks an injection against Apple and cash compensation, saying "Apple continues to violate Samsung?s patent rights by using these patented technologies without a license."

Ouch, that's gotta hurt. Can Apple choose which butt cheek to get it in?

Better hope that's not a vaccine, thems wicked, sinful things. Much promoted by Bill Gates. Fulfills part of the job of nobbling the competition.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Oh look, two wrongs make a right, that's patent law for you in a nutshell.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    brentbrent Posts: 12member
    Why is Apple still buying billions in parts from them? Dump Samsung now, and they won't have access to Apple's designs anymore. Duh!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brent View Post

Why is Apple still buying billions in parts from them? Dump Samsung now, and they won't have access to Apple's designs anymore. Duh!

It's not Samsung Semiconductor that's being the dumba$$e$. It's Samsung Consumer Electronics that is cornering the market on copy machines.

Samsung the parent, and Samsung the chip maker/foundry aren't the ones that are telling their boys to copy Apple's designs.

I think Samsung is really going to get slapped around like the prison girly-boy when this is done. Of course, the Apple-haters will spin this to suit their agenda, but the writing is on the wall. Samsung has a lot of balls for what they are doing, especially since they think they can get away with it. The icon designs on their phone is blasphemous enough.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

THe complaint says the patent issues "relate to fundamental innovations that increase mobile device reliability, efficiency, and quality, and improve user interface in mobile handsets and other products."

Which one of the Samsung products is efficient, reliable, and has good quality?? I do not know any.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...Samsung has "slavishly" copied its iPhone and iPad designs.

...Apple's original complaint, filed April 18, stated, "Rather than innovate and develop its own technology and a unique Samsung style for its smart phone products and computer tablets, Samsung chose to copy Apple's technology, user interface and innovative style in these infringing products."...

Looks like Microsoft sold off their copy machines - maybe that is where the extra revenue in Redmond cam from this last quarter (although you wouldn't think tired old used machines would be worth that much - oh I guess Microsoft learned that lesson n other ways more directly related to their business).
  • Reply 8 of 18
    God, wouldn't it be NICE to have that much money to pay Lawyers to file Suits all the time just because you could? I keep thinking; what if...they all got together and said, "Hey, let's forget about profit and greed for a little bit and make the best damn cell phone with all the latest stuff we all can think up and sell it to the public at a reasonable price, offering it through ALL of the providers with REASONABLE DATA AND CALLING PLANS, and see what the world will be like because WE COOPERATED!!!"

Wouldn't that be great?

I know it will never happen because they just don't THINK that way, they only think about the amount of MONEY they can steal from us all and the GAMES they play to keep us all from saying, "OK, you're products sucks and I'm going to use X or Y because I like its look and the way it performs." Not merely because you're a FAN of a specific manufacturer thus perpetuating the division of us all from combining in one thought/idea.

I was reminded today that when we are "divided" we are powerless, but when we hang together and follow one pursuit, we can succeed at doing anything! Just my thoughts currently!

• Reply 9 of 18
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It's not Samsung Semiconductor that's being the dumba$$e$. It's Samsung Consumer Electronics that is cornering the market on copy machines.

Samsung the parent, and Samsung the chip maker/foundry aren't the ones that are telling their boys to copy Apple's designs.

What makes you think Samsung the mother ship is not behind this, trust me when I say that the component guys do run home and tell the mother ship what each of its competitors are up too for any products that Samsung makes.

It will not take long for Apple to design out or replace Samsung parts out of all future products. The only question do the alternate companies have enough capacity to make up the what Samsung Suppliers Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I think Samsung is really going to get slapped around like the prison girly-boy when this is done. Of course, the Apple-haters will spin this to suit their agenda, but the writing is on the wall. Samsung has a lot of balls for what they are doing, especially since they think they can get away with it. The icon designs on their phone is blasphemous enough.

Seems like they will, but that doesn?t mean it isn?t worth it from a business standpoint. I personally have no problem with this since the end cost/benefit for either of these mega companies will be a drop in the bucket.

Apple isn?t without fault on the copying others IP. I?d much rather see this huge companies have to fight it out than one of these companies and a start up that has to pay way too much of their quarterly profits in lawyer fees.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:

Because doing so will probably hurt Apple a lot more than it hurts Samsung.

Apple has supply issues as it is, would it make any sense to dump one of your biggest suppliers?

Considering the component shortages have been pretty global, I'm sure that if Apple dumps Samsung, another party or parties will quickly come in to buy some, if not all of the capacity dedicated to Apple. Even if not, Apple only represents 4% of samsung's revenue; a dent, but not big enough to cause significant damage.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

I don't think that's how they got the designs. As far as I can tell, they just bought an iPhone, tore it apart and copied it.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by daylove22 View Post

Which one of the Samsung products is efficient, reliable, and has good quality?? I do not know any.

I own two of their HDTVs. Best on the market.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Because doing so will probably hurt Apple a lot more than it hurts Samsung.

Apple has supply issues as it is, would it make any sense to dump one of your biggest suppliers?

Considering the component shortages have been pretty global, I'm sure that if Apple dumps Samsung, another party or parties will quickly come in to buy some, if not all of the capacity dedicated to Apple. Even if not, Apple only represents 4% of samsung's revenue; a dent, but not big enough to cause significant damage.

It's likely that Apple chose Samsung because they could deliver the necessarily components in sufficient quantities and quality targets at the right price. Why would Samsung say no? It's why they are in business. I mean, the United States bought most of the titanium metal exported by the Soviet Union during the Cold War. How else are you gotta build all those jets and missiles to fight those Soviets?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's likely that Apple chose Samsung because they could deliver the necessarily components in sufficient quantities and quality targets at the right price. Why would Samsung say no? It's why they are in business. I mean, the United States bought most of the titanium metal exported by the Soviet Union during the Cold War. How else are you gotta build all those jets and missiles to fight those Soviets?

huh?

All I meant to say was that if Apple decided to dump Samsung as a supplier, Apple would be more hurt by the additional component shortages then Samsung would be by the loss of Apple as a buyer.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

huh?

All I meant to say was that if Apple decided to dump Samsung as a supplier, Apple would be more hurt by the additional component shortages then Samsung would be by the loss of Apple as a buyer.

Well said.

In addition, who on earth would be confused between iPhone and Galaxy S?

The rationale behind suing and getting relief/injunction for look-and-feel kinda patents (crap) is that consumers may be confused by the two and buy the copycat rather than the original patent holder.

Is that true in this case?

FFS, direct rip-off is bad... and consumers do already know that.

They hesitate to buy Samsung's smart-phones because they look similar to iPhone.

They don't buy it because it is supposed to look/function/feel like Apple's.

On the other hand, Apple did actually infringed REAL patents.

They made a bad move.

Even if they end up negotiate behind the closed doors, I don't think not much goods will be done for Apple.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    daylove22daylove22 Posts: 215member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Object-X View Post

I own two of their HDTVs. Best on the market.

Panasonic is the best(under 10K) http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs/?...contentBody;pm

over 10k the absolute best is Bang & Olufsen http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/19/b...s-gorgeous-pr/
  • Reply 18 of 18
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loptimist View Post

Well said.

In addition, who on earth would be confused between iPhone and Galaxy S?

The rationale behind suing and getting relief/injunction for look-and-feel kinda patents (crap) is that consumers may be confused by the two and buy the copycat rather than the original patent holder.

Is that true in this case?

FFS, direct rip-off is bad... and consumers do already know that.

They hesitate to buy Samsung's smart-phones because they look similar to iPhone.

They don't buy it because it is supposed to look/function/feel like Apple's.

On the other hand, Apple did actually infringed REAL patents.

They made a bad move.

Even if they end up negotiate behind the closed doors, I don't think not much goods will be done for Apple.

Apple infringed REAL patents? I did a search on the "ways that a phone allows calls and Internet surfing at the same time" patent. The only thing that showed up was this one

http://www.google.com/patents?id=eYw...page&q&f=false

You be the judge on how that would relate to anything on iPhone.