Apple releases third build of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Preview 2 for developers

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Friday issued its second update for Preview 2 of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, releasing the beta software to members of its developer community.

Lion Developer Preview Update for Mac OS X 10.7 is a 1.22GB download available via Software Update. It is recommended by Apple for all users running Mac OS X 10 Lion Developer Preview 2.

Apple gave no details about what changes or fixes come in the latest build. But any changes are likely to be minor, as it is not labeled as a full fledged "Preview 3." People familiar with the latest build say it is dubbed version 11A444d.

Preview 2 of Lion was released to developers in late March, marking the second major developer preview of its forthcoming operating system. Developers can download the pre-release software from the Mac App Store after requesting a redemption code.

Earlier this month, Apple issued its first update for Lion Preview 2. Like Friday's update, it did not come with a list of changes or fixes.

Apple will highlight more features of Lion at its forthcoming Worldwide Developers Conference, to be held June 6 through 10 in San Francisco, Calif. There, the company has promised to "unveil the future of iOS and Mac OS." Lion is set for release this summer.

For an in-depth look at Apple's next major operating system update, see AppleInsider's ongoing series, Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion. Recent features are included below:

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: iTunes screen saver controls music playback

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to add Office file viewing, new text and signature annotation

Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: new multitouch gestures, Dock integration for Exposé, Launchpad, Mission Control

Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: New dictionaries, multiple word views, multitouch lookups

Inside Mac OS X 10.7: Apple to strip most Aqua gloss

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I just got notified of this update, downloaded, and installed it.

It booted fine but now Mail.app wants to do something to the mail database. I clicked "OK" and then Mail crashed. Each and every time.

I'd report this to the appropriate Lion forum at Apple but for some reason my dev password doesn't work anymore.

Anyone else seeing this?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Rolling, rolling, rolling...

Looking forward to GM. Been messing with Lion, love it.

(haven't installed update yet, will later)
  • Reply 3 of 5
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

I just got notified of this update, downloaded, and installed it.

It booted fine but now Mail.app wants to do something to the mail database. I clicked "OK" and then Mail crashed. Each and every time.

I'd report this to the appropriate Lion forum at Apple but for some reason my dev password doesn't work anymore.

Anyone else seeing this?

Mail works fine for me. FaceTime crashes though....
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Mail works fine for me. FaceTime crashes though....

Mail is now working fine for me. I spent a while repairing permissions, paring down my startup items, finally backing up my Lion partition to an external drive* on which Mail did work. I did a reverse backup and am on my regular Lion partition and mail works just peachy.

*SuperDuper! doesn't work with Lion yet. I had to boot in my standby Snow Leo partition to do the backups. SD apparently backs things up fine using this method as I've not had anything crash in Lion yet. (fingers crossed!)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    They are really powering on with the development. Lots of new innovations, big and small.

I love it when a product reaches a point that it's obvious some things are there to stay so they polish them. That's when you start getting little delights and surprises everywhere. But of course there are also new big things still coming (3d kit), and new fundamental things too (such as fs/unix level).